Hawkeye Almost Ready

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by garethchelsea, Aug 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. garethchelsea

garethchelsea Member

Jul 6, 2006
    Lewes, UK
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hawkeye almost ready

http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid958992159/bctid1150082204 video

The man behind Hawkeye is confident it will be ready for use in the Premier League next season.

Dr Paul Hawkins, whose system is already used in cricket and tennis, says his technology is on course to meet FIFA requirements.

The goal-line camera debate resurfaced at the weekend when Fulham's David Healy's shot crossed the line against Middlesbrough, but stand-in referee Andy D'Urso and his assistant did not give it.

The Fulham striker has led the calls to bring in technology to clear up such issues and Hawkins says that the equipment will soon be ready after a successful summer of testing at Reading.

"The system is now performing very well in a test environment," he told Sky Sports News.

"So pretty much in any situation as soon as the ball crosses the line we can give a signal to the referee instantaneously to say whether or not the ball did, or didn't cross the line

"At Reading it took about half-a-second from the time the ball crossed the line for us to give a signal to the ref.

"And in the Premier League, seeing as they all have earpieces, that's an obvious way to communicate that to the referee."

The system will incorporate six different cameras at Premier League grounds.

Hawkeye requires six cameras focused on the goal

When the ball crosses the line a loud beep sounds

It will only be used to determine if the ball has crossed the line

Options

When the ball crosses the line, a loud bleep will sound, which removes the need to stop the game and review video footage - something that Fifa chief Sepp Blatter is keen to avoid.

And even though referees outside the top flight do not use earpieces, Hawkins insists Hawkeye can be adapted.

"Obviously some leagues and tournaments don't have that system, so it will be communicated via a watch or some other mechanism," said Hawkins (pictured).

"There's lots of different options."

The issue of goal-line technology was discussed at this year's International Football Association Board meeting in May, and the Premier League was given permission to press on with testing Hawkeye.

Sports manufacturing giants adidas are also working on their Smart Ball - a football with a readable chip inside - and the Italian Football Federation are looking into their own high-performance digital camera system.

Comfortable

But having seen Hawkeye revolutionise tennis and cricket, Hawkins says his system won't be rushed just to satisfy demand and beat the competition.

And Blatter's belief the technology will be in place "at the end of 2007", fits in perfectly with his schedule.

"There's no doubt that we holds our hands up and say 'you can trust this system', it's not just us needing to believe that, but the governing bodies and everybody else," said Hawkins.

"So it's much better that it takes a little bit longer and everyone gets comfortable with it than it coming in too soon and there being some issues."

2. Case

Case Member

May 5, 2004
    Cambridge, England
    My reason's for NOT introducing hawkeye are somewhat counter-intuitive, given im all for technology and think instant replay and video officials should be introduced...

My problem with hawkeye as GOAL-LINE only technology is it'd be like the police only using witness testimony for Murder and not burgularies, road traffic accidents etc etc, say you got a witness that can corroborate that a driver was indeed drinking before causing a fatality, but you say the evidence is inadmissable as it's not directly related enough to the death!
    My point is sure, it's great that science can prove if a ball goes into the goal or not, but this happens how many times a season? Compare that to the amount of goals scored after a corner is incorrectly given and hopefully u see my point. I strongly dislike the concept of doing such things half-assed, so say studio analysis will clearly show a blatant handball/offside/foul that was called incorrectly (as happens now) but this will be ignored whilst less frequent mistakes will be corrected....
    Also the fact that the tested it in a few games in serie b the other year is completely ridiculous, as it questions the whole validity of the entire season- how can u use some technology in some games but not others, when the ramifications affect all teams in the league!
    Still, I guess that is Italian football, and an invalid joke of a second division is hardly it's biggest concern...

So no, don't use hawkeye if it's just that, it just bears no sense even if it is a foot in the door for further technological innovation...

3. wrekinrak25

wrekinrak25 Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    true, i dont think you can catch all of the missed corner kicks/throwins/fouls/dives etc...but you CAN catch missed goals or improper rulings on goals...you've got millions of pounds riding on those goals....last season west ham got a goal against blackburn that was never even close to being over the line...if this technology was in place west ham would have gone down having not gotten 3 points that game, and the financial consequences would have been quite steep

that's just one of the few examples, the goal from david healy over the past weekend being another...the point being is that the technology is simple enough and i think it would be mistake free...since it is not a question of opinion, but of fact, where as whether a player went down because he tripped on his own feet or becuase he dove is in the referee's judgement....the question of whether the ball crossed the line SHOULD have no arguments to it

i think we have the technology and it is available, just fifa is too afraid to try anything ever no matter how much it is needed

4. agustus10

agustus10 New Member

Jun 22, 2007
    goaline technology is the only technology that belongs in the game (okay maybe hawkeye for offsides too...some ar's amaze me with their interpretation of this rule). instant replay in the game of football would be a disaster. there is no reason to stop the flow of the game to question a ref's opinion.
    i see your point about arguing against goaline tech seeing as how this rarely occurs (although in the last two weeks refs blew this call in an mls game and a couple games in europe), but if we can correct these errors with ease then why not do it...

5. chopsuey12

chopsuey12 New Member

Jul 12, 2007
    This should be awesome. Never again(or maybe we will) will we say the ref cheated us from a win.

6. Skizz

Skizz Guest

Great thread guys, wrong place. So unless someone's going to discuss the pro's and cons of a ball with a microchip in, this thread is history.