Having Trouble Playing DVD

Discussion in 'Technology' started by otterulz, Jul 19, 2009.

1. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I bought a Photoshop crash course DVD (2 DVD's in the set) that is created by a professional photographer. I popped the first disc into my Pioneer DVD player that's probably about 5-6 years old now. After a couple of seconds, I got a message that said, "Can't Read Disc". I then popped the same disc into my HP laptop which I bought refurbished a couple of weeks ago. It's equipped with a BluRay player and it couldn't read that as well. I tried playing the disc on my work computer and it worked perfectly.

Interestingly enough, the second disc works absolutely perfectly on all the machines I've tried it on.

So I tried the first disc on my laptop tonight and magically it loaded and worked. I tried it on my DVD player and I still get the same "Can't Read Disc" message. After popping it back into my laptop, it for some reason wasn't working. And I JUST popped it in again and it worked.

I know it's confusing but does anyone have any friggin clue on why this keeps happening? Is it an anomaly with the disc since the second disc works perfectly fine?

I exchanged e-mails with the guy I purchased the DVD's from and he says they test out the DVDs on a few machines and he's never received a complaint.

Any help or theories would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

2. srd....

srd.... Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Cork City.
    sounds like a faulty disc,get them to replace it.

or if its working on your pc rip it and burn it onto a new disc,personally i'd return it though.

3. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. I figured it's probably the disc. Ahh, well....

4. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, make sure it's clean, sans smudges and all that, before spending too much time trying to get a replacement. Sometimes it can be that easy.