have you ever played against a pro?

Discussion in 'Player' started by jdefoe9, Feb 12, 2005.

1. jdefoe9

jdefoe9 Member

Oct 19, 2003
    Canada
    so, has many people here played against former pro players/current pro players? What was it like?

2. shaggycat

shaggycat New Member

Oct 21, 2004
    USA
    I play with guys that are pros every offseason. Its fun, but they are just regular guys who happen to be better than most at soccer. I think if I started treating them differently than average guys that they would tell me not to train with them anymore. It is fun though to challenge yourself.

3. scsurge22

scsurge22 New Member

Jan 23, 2004
    Austin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Ive played with A-League players..does that count?

4. thurd

thurd New Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Melrose, MA
    I've played with some MLS players.

5. shaggycat

shaggycat New Member

Oct 21, 2004
    USA
    Yeah, A-Leagers count. I train with a few a-league guys, have played with an mls player, and also a guy in the top flight in Greece.

6. redalert101

redalert101 New Member

Jan 14, 2004
    Streets of Florida
    i played wtih someone who played in nasl and then for mutiny and some one from polinnial warsaw

7. Nutmeg_23

Nutmeg_23 Member

Jul 20, 2004
    i have played alot with a guy that played pro indoor soccer for one season. he runs a weekend soccer thing in our town... i can take him though because he's old

8. fermi

fermi New Member

Oct 17, 2004
    ct
    yea coach for my club team played for the u-20 national squad. i love watching him play such skill and cofidence. and my assitant coach played for the u17 candien squad. i understand they arent quite professinal but they might as well be

9. alco_soccerstar

Nov 3, 2003
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I played witha minor league guy, but he was my coach. Then when I went to the University of Maryland for soccer camp I got to play with Jeff Causey. Both were really cool guys. Causey had awesome stories from Olympic camp and in the MLS and my coach was one of the coolest people alive. I'm pretty lucky for a high school kid.

10. Ben16

Ben16 New Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Georgia
    umm ive played with players taht used to play for man u, everton, villla, southamptom, celtic, rangers, and some 2nd division premeir league teams. and my couach set teh goal scoring record with scoring 9 goals in one game in the fa cup

11. Jacque_s

Jacque_s New Member

Aug 13, 2004
    Played against guys from Everton, QPR, Santos, and CSK Sofia. What I remember most about them is that they all juggled well. They also had incredible touches when they weren't under pressure. One more thing, they complained alot during the game.

12. Rudy R9

Rudy R9 New Member

Aug 12, 2004
    Estadio Azteca
    Ive palyed with a couple of former mls players and Mexican league players. I also played against somekids my age that play in the 3rd division in Mexico.

13. theblondsoccerstar

theblondsoccerstar New Member

Nov 12, 2004
    UT, USA
    if a college soccer coach who used to play semi pro counts, then, yes. he kicked my butt like no other :)

14. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    closest I've come is playing a U-17 US national goalkeeper in a pickup game of "world cup"

15. Jacque_s

Jacque_s New Member

Aug 13, 2004
    and during practice as well. :)

16. randomdcfan

randomdcfan New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    MD
    Semi-pro...wooooo first post..... :)

Hello randomdcfan,
    We see you have yet to post on BigSoccer! Why don't you say hello to our community in our Introductions Forum. Become an active part of the world's largest soccer community!

17. guado

guado Member+

Jun 30, 2004
    ocotengo miedo
    Club:
    Inverness Caledonian Thistle
    Nat'l Team:
    Indonesia
    my old coach was on the u-23 australia team and west ham. another coach that played in germany(not top flight). then one who played in peru, who seems to be able to embarass anybody in the vicinity(told us stories about playing barefoot in peru, his trials and juggling so many thousand times.)

18. Tigerpunk

Tigerpunk Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    I played against someone in HS whose now on the Rapids...took all my skills to keep him off the ball as much as possible, kept him to TWO shots the entire game (both in which he only got free though illegal picks, as I was shadowing him the whole game).

He scored two goals, and won the (Conference Championship Game) 2-1.

19. southckid10

southckid10 New Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Connecticut
    I've played and have been coached by Kevin Andersen who was in the MLS but now coaches Univ. Of Colombia in NY. And also Carlos Parra who I new very well.
    And my ODP coach 2 years ago played in a German League for a year if im not mistaken.

_marco_

20. sockacrazy

sockacrazy New Member

May 6, 2004
    Yes i have, My cousin Is a pro and before he went pro we played 3-4 times a week and i got alot better because of him. Every now and then i play with him but he plays in lousiana so i dont see him much.

-justin

21. cazdaspaz

cazdaspaz New Member

Oct 14, 2004
    I voted that I hadn't played with any pro's, but come to think about it, I kinda have. I played with Steve Potts, who played for West Ham in the premiership 500 times, (and scored once.) LOL:)

Also I play with a guy eveery summer who used to play for Arsenal. :)

22. eplkewell

eplkewell Member

Aug 27, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I've played with some guys who claimed to play professionally is Bosnia. They weren't really that good.

23. hawk_claw

hawk_claw New Member

Aug 14, 2003
    Wisconsin
    we had a British coach come here and help traiN us. He plays semi-pro in England, so i semi-played w/ a pro

24. Irnbru

Irnbru New Member

Aug 5, 2004
    the varsity coach at my high school played for reading for a while, played pro indoor in the us and played for the earthquakes for a bit. he was also the quakes goalie coach for a while.

25. Old Man!

Old Man! BigSoccer Supporter

RIP Chicago Fire
    Mar 11, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I played against Ron Harper, formerly of the Cavs back when he was in Cleveland. Does basketball count?:)