Have we come back full circle

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by nick, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    No, just great minds thinking alike.

2. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I too agree--what are we, some kind of neanderthal-like species praying to the gods and assume are results are the work of higher powers? Are we cavemen who are barely only enough to apply for GEICO accounts or are we reasoning, thinking, logical, educated, sentient beings who discuss philosophy, physics, global warming data analysis, and the pros and cons of the driven corner. Mojo or juju--what nonsense say I. I say "bah" on such superstitious--they are the hobgoblins of simple minded and undeveloped persons who quake at the fullness of the moon and shiver at the howl of wild beasts far in the distance.

I would continue this discourse on the silliness of such unsubstantiated and irrational beliefs but I have to reluctantly go wash my 2004 DC United jersey. My wife insisted she's divorcing me unless I put it in the washer--she said that just b/c I wore it at the start of the latest unbeaten streak and haven't washed it since it's gotten pretty gamey. So if we lose to RSL you can blame her.

PS: Matt, I meant to say in a previous post, I hope your Mom is recovering from her broken back. And that's a bummer too about that string of bad luck you've been having--you say it's been going on 7 years now? What are the statistical odds on that happening?

3. Richmond Kickers

Richmond Kickers New Member

Aug 5, 2006
    That golf cart bit is too funny. Its always amazing to me to hear of sports superstitions.

4. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The concern about juju actually shows logic at work. People are concerned that United winning isn't a sure thing.

When the Tobriand Islanders fish in the lagoon, they just go out and fish. When they head out to sea to fish, it is preceded by magical rituals.

[​IMG]
    Pretty similar, actually.

5. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    I'm still waiting for the post-game interview that goes like this.

Q: So, [goalkeeper], how do you explain letting that simple slow-rolling ball get past you? It cost us the championship.

A: I would have gotten it, except Jesus made me miss it. Thanks a lot!

(I forget which comedian riffed on this, but it always offended me when winners claim that god is on their side.)

Just want to point out that I drove around the corner on 10 last week at a local course and left myself with an easy approach.

Oh, that's not what you meant?

Amen. :D

Thanks. I guess you shouldn't test theories if you don't want to live with the results.

6. RayWhitney

RayWhitney Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Laurel, MD
    Killjoy.

Sacrifice is good.

Entrails are good.

Hushed tones are good.

MattMathai is evil and should be excommunicated.

7. Kempa

Kempa Member

Sep 6, 2007
    Washington Suburbs
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I attribute the good fortune that DCU has had on the depth of its bench, not the Will of God. If the Will of God helped, all championships would be tied [adapted from an old Brazilian saying].

8. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    You're not the first person to call me that. I take great, er, joy in that.

If you mean acts performed for the greater good without regard to self, sure. If you mean killing some poor animal because you think it'll appease a supposedly vengeful creation of your fevered, unthinking brain, not so much.

If you like tripe.

If you're talking while I'm watching a movie.

Here's something we can all get behind. The first part, anyway. Excommunication really isn't much of a threat to me.

9. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No no no, you're wrong, here's proof!

Something for us to remember the next time we play Chivas!

10. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Shit, *****, that's all you had to say!

I am humbled by the weight of your evidence.

11. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    You may laugh, but I've heard stories from Africa ... In '98 in the Congo, lightning struck a match burning all 11 players from one team, leaving the other team unscathed. Here's the link from the BBC : http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/203137.stm

I don't know about you, but if a couple of lamb sacrifices would allow me to invoke these powers at the next Red Bull game, you better believe I'm bringing lamb kabobs to the next tailgate.

12. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Mmmm, lamb kabobs. I'm all about sacrificing poor animals for my lunch.

Any other side effects are coincidental and sometimes pleasant

Edit: Wasn't this the same outlet that posted the story about the fight between the lion and 42 midgets? They ruefully admitted their error in publishing something unconfirmed - but not before I saved off a snapshot of the web page. :D

13. skippy

skippy Member

Nov 17, 1999
    Alexandria, Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.reuters.com/article/televisionNews/idUSN1144512920070911

Could have been Kathy Griffin, as she said in her acceptance speech that Jesus had nothing to do with her Emmy winning show....

14. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    if believing you're about to win something cos you're so goddamn good before you actually win it was a good idea then Croatia would win WC or Euro cup by now. :p

Last time I ate properly sacrificed goat, throat slit and all was in '97 :D it tasted like chicken

15. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
  16. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I'd love to be the official DCU witchdoctor or shaman.

My craft knowledge is limited, but I'm a fast learner. So far I know that bull blood gives you strength. tiger testicles give you health and psychadellic mushrooms give you courage.

Just some ideas for the next pregame meal.

17. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    its alright sardine, keep dreaming, just wait till november and all your dreams will be destroyed :)

18. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    You know you have to go 'harvest' those tiger testicles to win the job, right?

19. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Pfff... that's the easy part. Just use a placebo. I know a place on the corner that has killer meatball subs.

Most of witchcraft is psychological mind tricks anyways. We use terms like "tiger testicles" just to get attention.

P.S. No animals were harmed or endangered in any way in the making of this post.

20. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis

Hmmm, if I go to Subway for lunch this week, I'll ask them for a Tiger Testicle and Cheese sub. In your honor, of course.

I am shocked that all is not as it seems in the world of witchcraft.

21. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Anybody want to get this thread back on track?

Anyone?

Bueller?

22. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    hey stop being a moderator pain in the arse, were trying to have fun here :):)

23. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    There's no having fun on BigSoccer.

The intertubes is serious stuff. Everyone knows that. :rolleyes:

And then next time you call me a pain in the arse, I'm infracting your arse.

24. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Eh ... I think the whole science vs. superstition topic is very relevant.

Frankly I've been disturbed by all the superstition surrounding these types of threads. I think we need more scientific approach like the diagrams in the Revs post game thread.

25. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    I don't have an arse. I have an ass.

Alternatively, I have been called an ass. I don't give a shite. :D