Hattrick thread XXVI: The best cure for insomnia is...

Discussion in 'Hattrick' started by Goodsport, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ... to get a lot of sleep.

(Continued from here)

2. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...to drink more Guinness. :)

3. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ....not getting on hattrick... :D

4. j_m_t

j_m_t Member

Aug 27, 2005
    KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...start drinking at 2pm:D

5. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Lost any chance of promotion with a 4-2 loss yesterday. I have overachieved all season long and my goal was to avoid going down. Likely will finish 3rd or 4th now. So no complaints.

Need to boost my midfield some and have a couple of forwards and an older mid. to sell to get enough cash to do it.

6. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got a HUGE 3-2 PIC win this past week against the 2nd place team (who played his reserves!). Was down 0-2 at half, but the boys came back storming back to win it.

This sets me up for a win on the last week to steal back 5th place and take the easier qualifier - which should mean all the difference.

However, I'm still rueing a 1-1 road tie that cost me 2 points and a 4th place finish.

7. j_m_t

j_m_t Member

Aug 27, 2005
    KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    won to guarantee that i will stay in d 3

8. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well done.

I won to guarantee a top 4 finish as well.

9. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, I read up on the new match engine today.

It says that pressing will be more effective when the tactical skill gets higher. How does a team go about improving in the "pressing" tactic? What's skills are needed?

10. j_m_t

j_m_t Member

Aug 27, 2005
    KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    spoon also is going back to d4

11. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nm. I found it in the manual. I'm still a bit uncertain if this will damage my own chances before and after the match engine changes for next season.

12. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I'm happy that the new match engine will decrease the volume of blowouts...I've had several matches this season, close on stats...end up 6-1 or something.

I do wish they had unveilved this sooner, as it is now we'll have a couple friendlies to take a look before its running...

13. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    I just woke up an found out that my team is tied for first place with an away game against the #2 team this weekend. So I finally dug into my $13mil kitty and bought a goalie (hadn't had one for a couple seasons now), a new forward, and a winger.

Hopefully that gets me the title.

Haven't followed HT closely for a while. Does it still make no economic sense to try to promote? Does it still reward teams that are content winning DIV/DV titles year after year?

14. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say yes it's still that way. I've been in II-III for 4-5 seasons now and it's just continous process of losing money.

15. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    Maybe I'll get supporter again when that changes, if ever.

16. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    same boat here, how do they fix this?

17. j_m_t

j_m_t Member

Aug 27, 2005
    KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it's still salaries that get me

that or

promoting and no boost to sponsor money, WTH. should get a bonus there like supporters INSTEAD OF LOOSING MONEY with the reset

18. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Since matchday revenue is the biggest revenue stream, they should have a way of rewarding higher division teams through "ticket prices" or "stadium size"

19. Nyghtewynd

Nyghtewynd I'd Rather Walk Alone

May 30, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So it's the last day of the season, and I'm stuck with a tough decision AGAIN. I'm in one of the toughest D.V leagues--I've 6th by one point while averaging HS 210 or so. I play the 2nd place team at home while the guy below me plays #5 and could win. The way I see it, I have one of three choices.

1. MOTS the match, hope for a win to remain in a quallie that I have to imagine that I'll be the favorite in, and try to stay above water in this league.
    2. PIC the match, hope the other guy loses, and at best be in a better position to win the quallie.
    3. PIC the match, throw a quallie, and try to regroup for a season in D.VI (again) and hope to draw into a more reasonable league.

Opinions?

20. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm STAYING UP in D5! :D

I drew a bot in my qualifier. Thank you, J "Hattrick" C!

My previous three seasons (before this one) in V were all about tough schedules and impossible luck as well as ridiculously bad luck in quallies.

It will be nice not to have to sit through a 14 game bot-fest, next season. :)

21. Nyghtewynd

Nyghtewynd I'd Rather Walk Alone

May 30, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I ended up MOTS, getting a 1-1 draw against the #2 team, and watching the team directly under me get the same 1-1 draw. That earned me a quallie against a human team that averages HS 130, so I think I'm going to qualify. :) Is there any reason to NOT play MOTS, even if my team spirit is already murderous?

22. dukkillr

dukkillr New Member

Jun 5, 2006
    Shawnee
    If you make the higher divisions pay at a higher level you will get stagnation. That's what has happened to Buzzerbeater where the top teams make so much more money than anyone else they are essentially untouchable. It makes the game boring because there is little reason for anyone to try and promote knowing they'll be back down at the end of the next season.

23. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But it gets similarly boring with Hattrick where teams don't make enough extra money at the higher levels that it's actually counter productive to make the higher levels because you lose so much money.

I'm going to massively struggle this season after burning through my cash reserves via buying new players, keeping trainees longer to compete, and losing close to $200K-$300K or so every two week cycle. After spending the last 5 seasons in II or III I have a feeling I'll be heading back down to IV because I just am not getting the money in to keep my head above water.

24. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I'm in the same exact boat, the only thing that has saved me a bit is I'm getting pretty good at turning out nice multi-skilled players from the youth academy. Not doing great, but the cash has been decent. I'm stuck in III.6 forever it seems.

25. j_m_t

j_m_t Member

Aug 27, 2005
    KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    as am i, looking at the three teams that joined my Div i may get a quali but i am definitely going to focus on the cup and see how far i can get.