Hate the MetroScum?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by andygus, Jul 7, 2003.

1. andygus

andygus Member

Dec 13, 2001
    No. Va.
  2. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    Um....I don't quite know what to say. That's pretty deep man. Very well put and to the point.

United still has my loyalty, even though I can't seem to get that match out of my mind. Much has been said in other posts, but has not been put in quite the context as this.

Am i pissed at my club...oh hell yeah.

Has my loathing of the Scum reached a new height........Oh Hell Yes!!

3. Talon's B_tch

Talon's B_tch New Member

May 3, 2002
    Reston, VA
    Just when I thought I couldn't loathe that team any more... boom! I surprise myself.

4. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never bought into the MetroScum hatred schtick until Saturday. Just didn't feel it. Nothing like I used to feel about the Cowboys and now feel about the Eagles (remember the body bag game?).

But that did it. Loathe is beyond hatred, isn't it? I absolutely, totally, seethingly loathe those bastards.

For now and forever.

5. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remembered that day when I laughed and cheered as a bottle rocket was launched a couple rows from where I stood and sent some of the Scum on the bench scurrying for safety like the rats

Classy stuff.

6. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, so that's how you do it..."sh" and then a bracket around an 'i' and then a bracket around a '/i' and then "it".

It's not true, then, that you can't learn something classy from a [assumption] Scum fan [/assumption].

Although I do think the bottle rocket business was not at all a good thing and should never be repeated no matter who we are playing.

7. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed it is how you do it.

That said, I'll be good and pull back the expletive.

The quote alone says plenty for the caliber of person attracted to DC.

8. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    The bottle rocket incident is nothing to be proud of.

9. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whatever you think about the Overtime tactics employed by bob bradley, you need to look at the real problem. United had the Metrostars 11v10 for an HOUR and couldn't take 3 points.

Metro earned the draw, overtime facilitated the win.

Just like last week, I would have been happy with the draw against Chicago, then came overtime and NY lost.

I would have been exceedingly happy with the draw last saturday as well.

Oh well. Instead of whining about loopholes and classless tactics think about the man advantage you had PRIOR to the use of the keeper switch rule.

United should have won that game running away.

Metro is just a better team.

sorry =)

10. Benedict XVI

Benedict XVI Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Ciudad del Encanto
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, pal. Sure. We're all the same. And there are no little hoolie wannabes at Giants Stadium.

11. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    Why is it every time I check a United thread it's full of Scum fans still gloating over Saturday's match? You won, we lost....Now pick up your toys and leave. Thanks for playing.

12. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a)Did I say anything of the sort?

b) Who's gloating? I'm just incredulous that someone would actually admit to being proud of that moment. Sounds kind of sad.

We had some misguided lout wing a plastic bottle - a freaking plastic bottle - at Mamadou Diallo, out of the Metro supporters section years ago, and it's generally regarded as a low for all of us, not something to get all dewy-eyed over.

I guess you could say that's a difference between us and the thread starter, if not the general DC fan. Thank God.

13. Benedict XVI

Benedict XVI Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Ciudad del Encanto
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

14. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I agree 100% with Michael K on this one.

The bottle rocket fired at the Metros bench during the playoffs in '96 (or was that '97 - I can't remember) was NOT a good thing.

This is what Andy wrote in his column

As far as I'm concerned there was NOTHING to laugh and cheer about when that happened. It's like laughing and cheering about fans throwing sharpened coins or rocks or bags of urine or whatever at visiting players or fans.

15. MeridianFC

MeridianFC Member

Jul 26, 1999
    Washington, DC USA
    Whoever fired the bottle rocket was an ass. End of story.

16. Benedict XVI

Benedict XVI Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Ciudad del Encanto
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that it was stupid and I agree that it was stupid to celebrate it. I don't agree that it speaks to "the caliber of person attracted to DC."

17. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    True enough. I can only hope that Andy didn't really mean it when he wrote it, and was just trying to pad out his article a bit.

18. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "After staring at the television for probably five minutes, I gathered myself and stood up. My wife took note of my clenched fists and locked jaw and knew to leave me alone"

Your wife is the coolest girl i have ever heard of. Mine always pull the "well they played a good game" or even after the opposition scores will say "wow what a great goal" or even go "wooohooo" thinking it was a good thing.

19. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    Michael,

I presume that you have not been a Metro supporter very long. If you had been, you would remember several incidents by Metro supporters that would be the equivalent of the aforementioned, and obviously pathetic, bottle rocket incident. A few incidents that come to mind: 1996 NY-LA...game stopped due to thundershower of glass bottles from the ESC; 1998 NY-DC...bus of DC supporters attacked by a group of Metro fans; 1999 NY-DC...group of DC supporters jumped in the concourse of Giants stadium by LA12 and ESC fans, luckily no serious injuries outside of a few black eyes.

Continue with your regularly scheduled delusions.

Tim

20. I myself went to sleep on Wednesday all smiles after the Histro strike and replayed it over and over in my mind finally focusing on the 'What the hell just happened' look on the Dallas goal keepers face as he picked himself up out of the dirt before I fell asleep.

There was no sleep on Saturday as I replayed that game over in my mind. Just a burning hatred of the scum and a longing of what should have been, a DC United win.

21. Sweeper

Sweeper New Member

Feb 11, 1999
    The difference is that we, in writing, don't claim to cheer at those moments. Quite frankly, the author of the piece is an ass, our equipment manager nearly lost his eye in the incident. Cheer that one on......

You cannot control individual fan's actions, enough DC supporters have initiated their own actions at the Swamp over the years and had to be "handled" by the ESC, but we don't gloat about it or give it acclaim. Perhaps part of that is because is because its so easy to lay muscle on DC supporters, but maybe its because Metro supporters are a better breed.

22. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Two words:

Pat Walsh

23. Sweeper

Sweeper New Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Walsh is an idiot, but never a violent ass.

24. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    Mr Sweeper,

You appear to be in a mood to generalize. The point of my response to the generalizations made by Mr K was to emphasize what the Vicar had said. I also wish you to re-read my post and point out where exactly I endorsed the aforementioned bottle rocket incident. If I were in a generalizing type of mood, I may plausibly assert that your reading comprehension does not bode well for the general state of mental acuity among Metro fans...but I know better than that, and I'm not in that type of mood. Hence, I'll be explicit on both matters of topic:

Both sets of fans have their share or bad apples.

Both sets of fans have done stupid things.

Both sets of fans have their good fans (though DC has more).

Both sets of fans have individuals who like to generalize when it is not appropriate.

Both sets of fans, at times, do not display excellent reading comprehension, which may have as much to do with the format of the forums as much as the intelligence of the individual.

Cheers,
    Tim

25. alexdergrosse

alexdergrosse New Member

Jun 15, 2001
    Northern VA
    Wrong as it was, it still would have been funny. That funny where you go, "Oh shite, haha ha, damn look at those scum run for their lives," and two seconds later say (still laughing at the scurrying players), "Who was the idiot who fired the bottle rocket, he coulda seriously hurt someone?" That kind of funny.

I wasn't there, nor have I seen pics/video of the incident, but I probably would have laughed before booing the rocket firer.