Hat Tricks at Spartan?

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by due time, Sep 29, 2003.

1. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Hat Tricks at Spartan

I have a question that hopefully someone here can answer. Did we just witness the first MLS hat trick at Spartan? We certainly saw the first Clash/Quake hat trick at Spartan. But have there been any hat tricks from opposing teams - regular season or playoffs? I can't remember any. And the MLS statistics site is pretty much useless for answering this.

2. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Quakes media guide lists the hat tricks scored against San Jose. They were all on the road:

Dante Washington, 7/18/97 at Dallas
    Jose Vasquez, 9/21/97 at Los Angeles
    Stern John, 5/30/98 at Columbus
    Preki, 9/5/98 at Kansas City

3. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 9/21/97 game was at Spartan Stadium -- my old seats in section 128 were right next to the Galaxians who were celebrating wildly when Jose Vasquez of all people got the hat trick to knock the Clash out of playoff contention.

4. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting thought/question, for the historians among us on this board (Goodsie, Spartacus, et al)...

In light of the hat-tricks by Quakes in recent weeks, by Donovan and DeRosario, and DeRo's three-goal effort being San Jose's only one at home during the franchise's MLS incarnation, does anyone know of any hat-tricks at Spartan during the Quakes' NASL days?

I don't recall one myself, but perhaps I could be wrong about this?

5. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    I have a fuzzy recollection of Steve Zungul putting up 3 in a 7-0 Earthquakes demolition of Fort Lauderdale early in 1983...but I can't swear to it.

6. Oh_Teddy_Teddy

Apr 7, 2003
    Mountain View, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good memory, Spart, I think you're right. By the way, anyone remember the hat trick by Peter Beardsley (yes, that Peter Beardsley) in a 5-1 Vancouver demolition of the uakes in 1981 (Quakes a man down most of the match). Anyone remember if any Quakes had a hat trick in the 6-1 Chicago playoff game back in 1983?

7. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    I don't think so...I think Terlecki had 2 but that was the most.

I'm also remembering a 7-1 whacking of Montreal in 1983 (Mike Hewitt's return to Spartan following the trade). But I don't remember a hat trick in that one. Anyone?

8. PaulChild

PaulChild New Member

Jul 3, 2001
    SF Bay Area
    Ancient History

According to the 1981 Quakes media guide, Paul Child had one at St. Louis on 5/27/77, and Steve David had one at Spartan against the Houston Hurricane on 5/17/80. That's it through 1980.

I think it's probably safe to say there weren't any between 1981 and 1982 considering the quality of the team in that era (Godfrey Ingram was probably the only guy we had capable of that feat--maybe Slavko Liciner or Jan Goossens).

As for 1983, I wouldn't be at all surprised we had one then considering the firepower we had. Besides Ingram, Zungul, and Goossens, there was also Stan Terlecki banging in alot of goals. But I can't seem to recall specifics that far back......Zungul is probably the best bet......

I don't remember that specifically, but I do remember that Beardsley and Carl Valentine used to feast on us regularly......

9. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Re: Ancient History

According to Colin Jose's NASL record, the '83 Golden Bay Earthquakes had, get this, FOUR hat tricks:

"Steve" Zungul, 5/30/83 home v. Tulsa (3-1 win)
    Zungul, 6/4/83 home v. Montreal (7-1 win, as aforementioned)
    Chris Dangerfield, 8/17/83 home v. Ft. Lauderdale (5-3 win)
    Stan Terlecki, 9/14/83 home v. Chicago (5-2 playoff win, as aforementioned)

According to the book, the other two Red Quakes hat tricks were, as previously listed by PaulChild:

Paul Child, 5/27/77 at St. Louis (4-3 win)
    Steve David, 5/17/80 home v. Houston (3-0 win)

10. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Re: Ancient History

So did PaulChild remember that Paul Child had a 'trick or did PaulChild have to look it up???

Inquiring minds want to know!

11. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    I stand corrected.

I also remember Chicago hack defender Dave Huson being taken off in an ambulance during that match as well.