Hassli Marriage

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by TheCopperSheik, May 31, 2012.

1. TheCopperSheik

May 18, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Glad this is finally public; I have been dying to share it.

2. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    hassli and davide r getting married? ... now this carrying friendship too far-- no wonder they cant play a full 90 minutes-- too exhausted :rolleyes:

3. dewhitecapfan

dewhitecapfan Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Guess this kills the "Hassli is a womanizer" rumor someone was trying to start.

JohnnyRanger repped this.
  4. TheCopperSheik

May 18, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Not really..... married athletes are notorious for such things.

5. JohnnyRanger

JohnnyRanger Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Great, so now he's not only a "party animal" he's also a cheating philanderer...

give me strength. :confused:

6. TheCopperSheik

May 18, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    I am not specifically saying he is; it is just general comment on pro athletes and is common enough to at least wonder in this situation.

7. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    hassli either doesn't care enough or is in poor physical condition-- a professional soccer player- especially the team's highest paid player!- who is only good for 30 minutes just would not cut it on my team-- this is MLS, not the EPL

8. TheCopperSheik

May 18, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Hassli is a piece of shit.. plain and simple..... scamming the caps for money

9. dewhitecapfan

dewhitecapfan Member

Jul 28, 2008

Right, he clearly doesn't care - despite his anger at refs, and his 4 goals this season. Not sure why you two hate Hassli so much. Guy has 4 goals this season, plays for and is loved by the fans. I don't think you can argue that any other player has been embraced the way he has by the fans at the games - evident by the Eric Hassli chants throughout the game, whether he is on or off the field. Yes he doesn't score with his head. Has he scored a couple spectacular goals with his feet? This is the MLS not the EPL, your expectations on a striker might need to be adjusted.

Although - 2 goals by Mattocks today (and a couple opportunities for more) might just change things..

10. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. I have never understood the Hassli hate. He plays passionately and, for the most part, gives his all. The fans (most of them anyway) love him. He seems to love Vancouver and love Canada. Sure, I'm not sure he's pulling his DP weight....it'd be nice if he had bagged a few more goals so far this year. But there are still over 20 games left and he will get more chances. Here's to hoping he does.

11. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    hassli got 3 minutes in today's game, and fell over and stayed down complaining for 30 seconds-- SOOOOO TYPICAL!-- clearly, rennie has decided enough is enough and the rest is up to mr. eric-- as long as he is not a disruption to the team chemistry, then i guess u keep him until his contract runs out-- unless he changes (which he wont), hassli is a done deal with the Caps IMO-- too expensive for 6 or 7 goals and only 5-30 minutes/game; trading him is an option as he does have some marketing value-- the true soccer knowledgeable supporters know that a player like him is just a lot of time and effort wasted for a little return of a few spectacular goals; as long as camilo and mattocks stay healthy, he wont get much playing time, certainly not as a starter-- getting le toux scoring again is a better choice of time for the coaches-- if mattocks continues with his play/scoring, most will forget hassli in a heart-beat-- too bad, but my guess is this is hassli's MO wherever he has played

12. JohnnyRanger

JohnnyRanger Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    My opinion is that you two, you know who you are, are looking at this all wrong.

Hassli is the only target man style player we have. He also happens to be technically brilliant, which is not the norm in the MLS and North American soccer at large. "All stars" in this league like Wondolowski and Boyd and others aren't fit to lace Eric's boots from a skills and technical perspective. The man has the softest and best first touch on the team, he is large, intimidating and aggressive and his ability to hit volleys and such sets defenders back, thus creating space for others.

He rarely gets balls the way he would in Europe or in other leagues with more technical players...and I feel like comparing him ad nauseum to the other who are more athletic and not as technical is fools errand. He has a style that compliments this team...he was a key part in that third goal last night taking a long pass down and delivering a pass back against the grain in a third man running style set up, which the Dynamo defender got all wrong allowing Harvey to bulldog one in the onion bag.

It will always be a rare event to see Hassli make a great run past two defenders and then have a quick finish ala Mattocks last night... He is always going to be more of a creator/target type guy with those currently surrounding him. Le Toux is a plug of a player technically, but he is an athletic specimen unlike any other, his ability to run, close down space etc is great, his first touch is attrocious.

I'd wait on cutting him/trading him etc till Robson gets here and we see if those two can drum anything up, or having Robson here allows Rennie to deploy others differently which might suit the Big mans game more.

13. TheCopperSheik

May 18, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    So you are satisfied if he finishes with 5 goals this year? It doesnt matter how talented the dude is if he doesnt score. Religion is blinding you sometimes Ranger.

14. JohnnyRanger

JohnnyRanger Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    wtf does Religion have to do with it? Who says I'm even religious?! He's just another cog in the wheel...as are the guys making 30k per year.

if/when they hoist a trophy at season end do you honestly think they care what each other make if they've achieved the common goal? Surely not.

If he's a nuisance to other teams and contributes in other aspects than just goals then I'm fine.

If there is better value for money to be had elsewhere then I'm fine with that too,

Hassli has done nothing to have me frothing to get rid of him, and certainly Rennie seems to share my views more than yours...

15. TheCopperSheik

May 18, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Rennie has limited his playing time; doesn't that say anything to you?

You support a club that divides on religious biases towards the other Glasgow club. So, I think it does play a part in your views.

16. JohnnyRanger

JohnnyRanger Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Rennie has opted to use other players who have been more effective with other teammates who are on better current form.

You saying anything to me about Rangers and religion is clearly baiting. So I'll address it once and for all and hopefully you don't bring it up again.

I support Rangers as I had an uncle who supported them... It was something that just sort of happened to me... I haven't been paying loads of attention to them to be brutally honest over the last few years as the standard of play is gash at best and the clubs and fa are absolute trainwrecks.

Rangers supporters certainly have their problem segments of fans, as do Celtic, as do almost every other massive club in the world. Make sure you aren't living in a glass house before you throw stones.

Celtic's support has bigoted people also with twisted relgious based worldviews, they have people who are pro-terrorist IRA, and such.

All Clubs have a shameful support segment somewhere.

My personal faith and belief structure has nothing at all to do with Rangers FC and vice versa.

If you held a gun to my head and asked me who my two favorite club sides are currently I'd have to say Spurs and Bayern Munich, who are both fun to watch and have some of my favorite players on them. I am neither English nor German. I just appreciate the football

17. TheCopperSheik

May 18, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Sure, but I bet your uncle was protestant, right?

Hey, I dislike the Celtic too.. I think both clubs have shameful pasts with all the religious ties. And it still very much exists today in the streets of Glasgow. Try walking in a Catholic area with your Rangers kit and you will understand.