Has USMNT over-exposed MLS under Berhalter?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by adam tash, Jan 31, 2023.

1. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Squeaky butt playing creative attacking soccer but lacking a world class striker. If Donovan, Dempsey or Altidore had been 10 years younger things may have been a bit different. Question is where is an international class striker who doesn't spend half his career in the treatment room going to come from?

2. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    injuries did play a part, true....but it looked exactly the same vs wales and iran with a full roster.

(and looked the same in Sweden when GGG was fired for lacl of attacking play) they guy is who he is....

can coach like its the 1990s...he woulda been much better than steve sampson.

but clueless in building an attack...hes a defender he sees the game through defense.

3. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    We will see in a few weeks, but I'd bet the federation hasn't learned their lesson yet and there will be way too many MLS players called into this camp. There is nothing Ferreira could do in MLS to justify a callup to the USMNT after those pathetic 45 mins vs the Netherlands.

4. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    gotta keep those MLS transfer coffers full.....Jesus' continued USMNT participation helps make tht more likely

but I agree there shouldnt be any MLsers at this point...simply too many alternative players playing in higher leagues

FanOfFutbol repped this.
  5. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    To add a little to this: I watched three MLS matches and about half of another since Friday. In those matches all I saw was bad attempts at "possession" or nearly continuous flubs of easy plays. Yes the MLS is in early season but I really doubt that a few weeks or even months will make much difference.

In those matches I did not see even one player that I thought belonged on the USMNT. (Or any other top 50 national side for that matter)

If we want to truly get better in international football then the MLS really has one purpose. That is to feed players into the better leagues around the world where the players that make it can actually get better.

Of course, if we are satisfied with being at or near the top of CONCACAF, we only need MLS players. But if we wish to be truly able to consistently challenge the better teams then we must get players into leagues that can truly develop their skills and their match awareness. Personally, I am not satisfied with even being the best in CONCACAF.

The only players from the MLS that should be considered for international duty are players that can fill in where we do not have an international player for a spot and, possibly, goalkeepers. Many teams in the MLS are so poor that goalkeepers are much more involved than just about anywhere else overseas.
    Remember that Brad Guzan started his career at Chivas USA and that team was so bad that he faced three or four times the "normal" for the MLS. Of course that is only part of his development but it seem to be, for him, about the best practice he could have had at the time.

Right now our probable "best" 'keepers are playing overseas but we should not reject a 'keeper just because he plays in the MLS. That is NOT true for the other positions.

For the foreseeable future any player playing in the MLS should be an automatic reject if there is just about any other option.

Just to be sure, in my mind, that I am correct I will watch some of the MLS this season and try to be willing to reevaluate my opinions and beliefs if warranted. But, for now, I believe the MLS is a good place for players not ready for international play to play soccer and a good pace to get fill ins if there no truly good players available for a given spot.

Even if we have to draw squads from the MLS for local competitions when there is not an international window we should be OK as the rest of CONCACRAP is just as bad as the MLS and CONCACAF is about all we will play outside of international windows.

adam tash repped this.
  6. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    totally agree on GK....MLS GK are just as good as anywhere...bc that is special position

i would say that there are occassiovally unicorn type players in MLS that are good enough for USMNT...but it shouldnt be a thing that there's a conveyor belt running from MLS to USMNT as a rule....thats just farcical

7. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    It is pretty unwatchable. The league is really poor technically and tactically. There is no way these players are going to develop into guys that can help the USMNT in that environment. Since it seems like the media and fans biggest goal is to hype the players and the league there is no real standard. The leagues biggest propagandist is actually impressed with this play that just highlights how poor the competition really is.

adam tash repped this.
  8. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I completely disagree with you guys about MLS GKs. While the GKs appear to be better than the field players, they suffer from from the same lack of expectations that stunts the field players growth.

The last three GKs to be hyped by the MLS crew are Hamid, Johnson, and Turner. The first two just aren't good enough and will never be and Turner had some major holes in his game while in MLS. It is shocking to see his development after just six months at Arsenal and playing few games. We have three and a half GKs playing in Europe. I see no reason to waste time on an MLS GK. If they want to play international soccer, then the should go get the experience those other guys are getting.

9. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I did not say that the MLS goalkeepers were preferable. I tried to say that the MLS 'keepers were not hampered by the fact that it is the MLS. Many of them face more shots that most European 'keepers and their coaching, in technique, is usually at least OK. They still lack much of the tactical awareness that is needed to be the best but that is actually pretty easy to teach, if the 'keeper is at all able to think and act at the higher level required for international soccer.

If we have one of the international 'keepers available and healthy and playing much of the time that should be our choice. What I wanted to say was that top MLS keepers are good enough to be brought up when the better ones are not available without much of a step down in quality.

That is I do not feel much "let down" when an MLS keeper plays like I do when we stick MLS field players in the squad and actually play them. When we have MLS players on the field I often find myself simply waiting for a critical mistake to happen. The clip that was linked here showed me, more than anything else I have seen lately, that the MLS is simply plays too slowly for development to the level needed for international soccer.

In general we are OK, most of the time, with an MLS 'keeper but we are not OK with MLS players on the field. This is particularly true the further forward in the formation the MLS player(s) play.

But, if we had a good or even decent coach and technical staff then we could be OK even against better teams.

Once again, since we mainly play in CONCACAF and since CONCACAF wins are what get us to the WC we actually are OK with many MLS players in most matches because CONCACAF plays at such a VERY low level that the MLS actually.
    In fact the fact that the MLS refs are so bad that we cannot play like they play in the MLS when we have truly good refereeing. Either they draw cards or they get nearly frozen in place and play "Matador" defense when faced with true skill.

I also think there is enough unused/undeveloped skill in the MLS to form a pretty good team but that "skill" gets pretty much undeveloped simply because it is the MLS.

adam tash repped this.
  10. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I still disagree. Goalkeepers in MLS aren't by the same things field players are but there other issues the impact their development. If people would stop and really look at Matt Turner they might be able to understand this. Besides just ignoring his weaknesses, he was announced after very few games.

In my mind, I still don't have a final take on him. He had big holes in his game that appeared to be improved, but they cropped up yesterday. He ism29 yo and is being criticized publicly for the first time. Of course, he made the very same mistake regularly in MLS and for the USMNT and nobody cared. It will be interesting to see how he responds.

MLS is nice place for younger GKs to get some experience and build confidence, but it is in no way preparation for the USMNT.

11. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    I suspect the March roster will have too many MLS players and will remind me of the counterproductivity of January Camp. At least the chatter around the fanbase and commentators has been that way. Do any of us really know if DeJuan Jones is better than Reynolds or Fossey at this point? But Jones seems like he "impressed" enough to get lodged into that role ahead of others. And then Fossey will have 21 minutes against Italy in a friendly to knock him off.

As to goalkeeping. I actually think it's one of the most important positions to get overseas experience. I'm glad that Turner has made the trip. His troubles in the CL game are a reminder that he's still learning.

bsky22 repped this.
  12. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hudson had a bunch of scouts all over europe recently....I expect very little MLS on the upcoming roster...I mean, wasnt the WC enough of a red flag on those guys???

at the bare minimum just learn from what happens on the field...and take it with you moving forward....

do we want guys like balogun to take us seriously or do we want to keep don garber and co happy? for me ....idgaf about the profit margins of mls billionaires.

as to turner struggling...that has nothing to do with MLS/europe....its riding pine for months and expecting someone to play well....very very few can do that

13. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Turner is struggling because he hasnt been prepared for this level. He was late to sport and didnt have to improve the holes in his game while in MLS. The main issues with his recent play were ones anybody who paid attention knew were there. He gave up a similar goal against Panama and all MLS fans just went after Zardes. It must be a weird feeling to get criticized for mistakes he has always been making.

Turner has improved a lot with the ball at his feet and coming off his line. Many of here took a good play or two to mean he was "fixed". Unfortunately, he doesn't work that way. I suspect he going to at least have some poor touches every now and again, no matter how much he improves.

14. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think no matter who it is...its always going to be ahrd to be the backup and never play and then just jump in randomly and be error-free

15. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Totally agree on that. Turner is in a really tough spot. He is working hard to improve parts of his game. It probably helps at times that he isnt playing regularly, but really hard to be sharp in his situation. It doesn't help that games he gets are at a level much higher than he was used to playing.

16. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he's already improved significantly....but at some point, nt playing will be a detriment....like it was with steffen, somewhat.....

If I'm Arsenal I dont see a big motivation to send him somewhere, though, ...would be hard to finda better backup to sit on the bench than Turner. He's in a weird limbo....like steffen was...and it cost him.

17. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thread is like soccer bukkake

18. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I have said for years that this window should be for non-mls players since the MLS guys get the long January camp. Even if that weren't the plan, I am not sure I see a reason for any MLS players in a full side at this point.

The Fed of course disagrees with the topic of this thread and have decided they need to showcase these MLS players again in April. My guess is we get at least a handful scrubs from MLS on this roster. I suspect they are going to still try to sell us Zimmerman as our top CB. Id be surprised Acosta isn't there as a "emergency dmid who only plays when Adams is hurt but can also play the 8 very poorly". Whoops, just saw Adams is out.

19. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Today is a moment to rejoice for many - 1 MLS player has been called up for the March 2023 matches.

No doubt the Hudson fanclub is growing!

adam tash repped this.
  20. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    MLS has once again altered the quota. They’re very adaptable with their grand marketing agenda.

21. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    The last time we had one to many MLS players was back in November 2020. Robinson is no where near as egregious as taking Lletget to Europe to play out of position. Robinson is definitely behind CCV and Richards at this point.

Let's hope who actually becomes coach actually pays attention so this time isn't a waste like 2018. Sarachan did a great job of spending out caps and integrating players only for Berhalter to start from scratch with those MLS clowns.

adam tash repped this.