Has Neymar jr surpassed Luis figo

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by carlito86, Oct 2, 2018.

?

Has Neymar equalled or surpassed Luis figo

1. Yes

21 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

21 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Edhardy

Edhardy Member+

Sep 4, 2013
    Nairobi, Kenya
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    @carlito86 the stats in that graphic and the video account for his league play for the most part. Sure Ligue 1 is 6th now, yet with a Monaco win 2 nights ago they could have been back to 5th, or maybe a few more results - that can't be the difference between "best to have ever played the game" and 0.
    The truth is probably that exploits in Ligue 1 don't really add much, especially for the OP PSG team and haven't done so in a while (unless it's a truly extraordinary season like Ibra's last one). But you were okay with Ligue 1 when comparing Neymar to Figo (95-05 La Liga), and adding some group stage in there is surely a very low bar for a player so talented. If there is something even less competitive than Ligue 1 it is the group stages for the top sides in Europe. I think I can see what has prompted your sudden realization about Ligue 1.

In PSG's defence, I don't see much difference with the situation at Bayern where Leipzig lost Upamecano (to Bayern) and Konate to go with Werner last season, Dortmund lost Sancho, Leverkusen lost Bailey to go with Havertz last season and so on. Serie A and La Liga are levelling out a little bit with very competitive sides in the top 8 for Italy (Juve, Inter, Milan, Roma, Napoli, Lazio, Atalanta, Sassuolo) and the top 4 in Spain (Atletico, Madrid, Barca, Sevilla). I think in England there is a clear gap between the top 4 and the rest once again but still more competitive than France and Germany where the gap between number 1 and the rest is really massive at this point.
    What's disingenuous is the change in appreciation for Ligue 1 that you had not long back, and assuming it's genuine, I wonder how you'll judge Lewandowski in the BuLi this coming season or even sticking to that, how can we judge performances by Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Man United against the bottom half clubs? I'm assuming, at worst a team like Lyon, Lille or Monaco would ordinarily at least make the top half. Then if performances against them don't account for anything at all, I wonder what does for any player in a top European team.

2. Edhardy

Edhardy Member+

Sep 4, 2013
    Nairobi, Kenya
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Barcelona lost 3-0 to Juve on aggregate. Neymar's 15 dribbles did not destroy Juve really, he embarassed his countryman a few times but the danger came from two Messi passes in the first leg, to Suarez and Iniesta.

And also while Neymar undeniably has some really top performances such as the PSG one you mention and even the 4-0 against Madrid at the Bernabeu that you don't mention, Figo too has some stellar showings such as against Chelsea and England in 2000 and United in 2003.

If Ligue 1 counts for 0 as you say (or very little surely when they were 5th in the coefficients as opposed to 6th), then Neymar would really need to tear up the CL to make up for the years Figo spent in a top class league. This without accounting for the support cast each had around them in their prime.

3. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Does Neymar in la liga exist?

Which Chelsea?
    The one that finished 26 points behind league leaders Manchester United?

This one
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2000/apr/18/championsleague.sport4
    Screenshot_20210827-105840-1-1.jpg
    Screenshot_20210827-105849-1.jpg
    Their record vs top teams was abysmal to say the least

Lost against
    Manchester United(once)
    Liverpool(once)
    Arsenal(twice)
    Leeds(once)

Literally lost 5 out 8 encounters vs the periodic English top 4 but you expect them to pose any realistic challenge against Barcelona

If that's a big team
    So is Atlanta 2019/20
    So is PSG 16/17
    Real Madrid 15/16
    Bayern Munich 20/21
    Bayern Munich 14/15
    Etc....

You are forgetting neymar is a player who scored in a champions league final and 3 consecutive copa del rey finals between 2014/15 and 2016/17

Against Manchester United 2003?
    Ok it was a very good performance
    Relative to truly great/historic performances it wasnt really that special

Can we say it was more impressive then a Romario/stoichkov vs Manchester United 94/95?
    Nice for the fans to remember but not a match that marked their respective careers if we're being perfectly honest.

Lets keep things in the correct perspective
    Zidane and Raul were at least on his level in that first leg encounter

Figo never had a standout performance in the champions league vs a periodic top 4 team where he was a match winner and/or head and shoulders above his teammates
    It never happened not even once

4. Edhardy

Edhardy Member+

Sep 4, 2013
    Nairobi, Kenya
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    @carlito86
    Whichever Chelsea that was, that match was going wrong for Barcelona and Figo stepped up.
    It's as though we said PSG was a team that always crumbled in Europe and judge Neymar's performance from that perspective - a very slippery path to go. And what does it matter if Zidane and Raul were equally good as Figo against Manchester United? In one of Neymar's more iconic performances (Madrid 15-16), Iniesta and Suarez were arguably just as good and Iniesta actually received an ovation from the Madridistas if I'm not wrong.

As for Neymar's Liga stint, of course that counts (as does his time in Ligue 1). I'm not the one reducing anyone's contribution to zero. But 4 years against 10 years is tough. Even if I was to agree that Neymar hit higher peaks (arguable), the longevity of Figo counts for something. And he didn't coast either, he led La Liga in assists over that decade and I'd wager he did the same for dribbles too. In that duration he has a claim to being the best player in the world for 2 years. If for parity, we remove Messi & Ronaldo, how many years/seasons has Neymar been the best in the world?

Lastly, Figo had a brilliant performance against Real Madrid in 1999-00, just off the top of my head.

But in any case, I only revived this debate to point out the change in view of Ligue 1 so suddenly when so recently playing 15-20 games a season there is all it took to be an all-time great. If it was a great measuring stick for the first half of 2017-18 (sprinkled in with some UCL groupstage matches), then it surely is still good enough now.

5. Tropeiro

Tropeiro Member+

Jun 1, 2018
    Arguably from 2014/2015 to 2019/2020? But more so between 2015-2016 to 2018-2019?

6. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Given how injury-prone Neymar was, I think in 18-19, VVD has to be above him, and in 19-20, Lewandowski also. So I think the period is shorter perhaps?

7. Tropeiro

Tropeiro Member+

Jun 1, 2018
    Talk about class and not form. 15/16 to 18/19 seems about right to me.

8. Edhardy

Edhardy Member+

Sep 4, 2013
    Nairobi, Kenya
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I'm talking of form, performance etc. If it's talent alone then he's been the best outside of Messi/Ronaldo for the best part of a decade

9. Edhardy

Edhardy Member+

Sep 4, 2013
    Nairobi, Kenya
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    2014/15 - Luis Suarez, Eden Hazard, Cesc Fabregas
    2015/16 - Luis Suarez, Ngolo Kante
    2016/17 - Ngolo Kante, Edinson Cavani
    2017/18 - Mo Salah, Kevin Dr Bruyne
    2018/19 - Virgil Van Dijk, Eden Hazard

I'd give him 2014/15 but would struggle to make an argument for any other season since.

10. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    I'd have Neymar over Fabregas in 2015 for sure. Agree with you about Suarez. Others as Robben can be thrown in as well (Robben also consistently great against the Real Madrid caliber teams in 2016-17).

Fabregas tailed off enormously in the second half of the season and depended on set pieces a lot. Was also pretty bad for the national team (when I saw him playing, against NED as well, was exposed against France). In the CL he was good against Schalke, Maribor and Sporting CP - but then vs PSG in the first knock-out a liability imho.

Kante is obviously a very different player, so fair enough. But don't see how Fabregas gets ahead of Neymar, who if anything showed up when the trophies started to count.

11. Tropeiro

Tropeiro Member+

Jun 1, 2018
    #411 Tropeiro, Aug 28, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
    2014/2015 isn't clear cut I agree, but 2015/2016 Neymar was better than all of them including Suarez imo (it was more obv. when Messi was out tho), the same for 2016/2017, 2017/2018 it is ok to give De Bruyne and Salah as they performed all the season at high level, 2018/2019 I prefer Neymar over Hazard. VVD is a defender.

But anyway moving to Barcelona (playing in Messi's shadow) and then to PSG (injured many times, all of them playing in French competitions...) actually tainted his legacy as a player, but he is a better player than Figo ever was.

12. Edhardy

Edhardy Member+

Sep 4, 2013
    Nairobi, Kenya
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    @PuckVanHeel I was suggesting people he'd be in contention with rather than those better than him that season. For me 14/15 is his best chance as best in the world (minus Messi & Ronaldo). He scored in the QF, SF and Final of the CL and even in the Clasico defeat. Generally his play was good too throughout the season as opposed to other seasons where there is a dip or injury in the second half. Also agree about Arjen Robben especially in 14/15.

@Tropeiro the argument on who's better appears to me subjective and we've debated it enough. I'm talking of performances and in this context Figo was the best footballer in the world in 2000 and had a claim to being the best in 2001 which was a very open year.

Not sure what you mean by VVD is a defender? He has a strong claim to being the best in the world in 2018/19 (neck and neck with Messi). Both him and Kante have a strong case for a season each in a non-CR7/Messi reality despite being defensive players.

13. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #413 carlito86, Aug 28, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
    I love the way history just routinely gets airbrushed on this forum

There is a consensus
    Not a 'might'
    Or 'maybe he would've'
    Or 'arguably'

Zidane had the 2000 ballon dor wrapped in the palm of his hand
    Between Figo and Zidane was 16 points
    Between Zidane and shevchenco was 96 points

Zidane was serving a 5 match ban leading up to the voting process due to his unceremonious headbut of a hamburg player in the champions league
    The affects of this one action (not his level of football) lost him the ballon dor

In history there are very few clear cut winners

R9 in 1997(calender year) was one of them

Cristiano was one of them in 2008, 2013 and 2014 calender years

Messi was one of them in 2010,2011,2012 and 2015

I can propose some other seasons where these players should've been obvious winners werent it for the powers that be

R9 in 1998
    Cristiano Ronaldo in 2007
    Lionel Messi in 2018

Bottom line
    Figo in 2000 wasnt one of those clear cut names

The thing is luis Figo knows that but you are so adamant in sticking to the party line that you don't even know that

"Wonderful Francesco, you’re getting old, eh? 40 birthdays, best wishes, my friend,” said Figo.

And I’m sorry for stealing the Ballon d’Or in 2000 – you deserved it.”
    https://football-italia.net/figo-totti-deserved-ballon-dor/

This wasn't tongue in cheek either

In the same way nedved was graceful enough to admit he didn't deserve the ballon dor over Thierry Henry in 2003
    For me, Thierry Henry is the best forward in the world now. If I had voted I would have voted for Thierry and for the other players on the podium."

It was definitely my best year," Nedved said. "I had lots of luck as well. Luck is part of a player's career.

"I did not think I would beat Thierry Henry, Paolo Maldini or Zinedine Zidane. I am very happy for myself, my wife, my children and country but I don't know how I beat Thierry Henry or Zinedine Zidane."
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2003/dec/23/newsstory.sport4

Footballers can be impartial aswell so this shouldn't be too much to digest

I love Arjen robben especially the season you mention but double standards are freaking insane

Did you know arjen robben 14/15 played less minutes(2203 mins in all comps) then Neymar in

2017/18
    2697 mins in all comps

2018/19
    2351 mins in all comps

2019/20
    2386 minutes played

Robben with less minutes played and lower media/whoscored ratings then any season of Neymar in PSG(except 20/21) is good enough to challenge for the ballon dor

But with Neymar the percieved lack of game time all of a sudden becomes too much of an issue to overlook?

Your agenda is clear for anyone who isn't blind

Its been dissected many times previously.
    That era after the injuries of R9 and del piero in 1999 was left completely wide open

the increase in competition does not necessarily denote quality.
    Or that competitiveness suggests a stronger era

When you have 7 different players winning the ballon dor between 2000-2006 that suggests to me the complete lack of a standout/dominant performer

The ballon dor winners of the 2000-2006 period are at the level of players who have finished 3rd-10th in the ballon dor between 2008-2018

2000 ballon dor winner Luis figo=
    Neymar 2017
    Ribery 2013
    Robben 2014

Micheal Owen 2001=
    There are 50~ non ballon dor winners of the 2008-2018 era who surpassed his level

2002 ballon dor winner R9=
    A world cup year
    The ballon dor should be cancelled in a world cup year because it seems unless you do something supernatural in the league like Messi in 2010 or Ronaldo in 2014
    the world cup golden ball winner is invariably also the ballon dor winner
    even if he is comprehensively outclassed over the course of the club season (sometimes by multiple players)

Romario
    World cup golden ball winner=FIFA WORLD PLAYER OF THE YEAR
    A year later and he would've been eligible for the ballon dor

To be fair this is less controversial as he was a legit phenomenon in la liga albeit also a flop in the champions league

Golden ball winner
    Zidane

Ballon dor winner zidane

R9 in 1997/98 was Serie A player of the year and UEFA/CL player of the year

World cup golden ball winner
    Cannavaro

Ballon dor winner cannavaro

ronaldinho ?
    Thierry Henry ?
    frank lampard?

World cup golden ball winner
    Luka modric

Ballon dor winner
    Luka modric

Messi,Ronaldo,Neymar,salah
    Take your pick

2003 ballon dor winner nedved=
    9th place ballon dor Gareth bale 2013

2004 ballon dor winner shevcenco=
    3rd place ballon dor Fernando Torres 2008
    7th place ballon dor zlatan ibrahimovic 2009
    4th place ballon dor luis Suarez 2016

2005 ballon dor winner ronaldinho=
    Neymar 2015,2016,2017,2018

2006 ballon dor winner cannavaro=
    Was a controversial pick in his own era let alone this one

The distance Lionel messi and Cristiano Ronaldo have created between themselves and their contemporaries has confused you into thinking this generation is lacking something

No
    The top 2 were just way too relentless in their pursuit of greatness in a way that is just simply unprecedented

Arjen Robben 2014/15
    "I don't like comparing myself to others, but you are talking about two monsters! They have succeeded for half a dozen years beyond reality. They are above everyone else."
    https://www.goal.com/en/news/15/ger...6075661/robben-ronaldo-and-messi-are-monsters

Sexy Beast repped this.
  14. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  15. Tropeiro

Tropeiro Member+

Jun 1, 2018
    The difference is that PSG is a quite World Class team, Sporting and Ajax arent at the same level. The benchmark iat PSG are Messi, Neymar and Mbappe and other WC players. Ligue 1 is better rated in the ELO method too and it moves more money and quality players than the others.

But btw, I like the idea of good players outside of BIG 5 leagues.

One of them is Giorgian de Arrascaeta, a uruguayan Ponta-de-Lança (CAM/SS), playing for Flamengo, the best team in the Americas nowadays.

In the Brasileirão for Flamengo, Arrascaeta had direct contribution (excluding PKs) of 43% in Flamengo's goals at the rate of 0.93 per 90 (21 non-PK Goals, 28 Assists in 52.8 90s).

Ziyech had lesser average - 0.84 per 90 - and less contribution - 30,4% - than Girorgian.

The same applies to Bruno Fernandes, less average 0.68 per 90 and less non penalty contribution, 35%.

By the advanced data and methodology like the ones of FiveThirtyEight, Plus Minus, Bayesian models, VAEP data (how one player translate his level to another) or Smartscout data (also using the players as proxy) all of them had Brazilian League still at the top compared to the Portuguese or the Dutch one.

So Arrascaeta deserves a mention.. the uruguayan is 27 years old now, maybe "too old" for Europe, and a bit "risk" buy since Flamengo wants at least 30 million for the player and he has never played in the BIG5 leagues or in Europe.

I would say Giorgian is the best attack minded player in the Americas right now.
    Great link up player, great passer, very good IQ, above average dribbler and ball carrier, great finisher. Can't see anyone with better level and performances than him, not in Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, in any place.

carlito86 repped this.
  16. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #416 carlito86, Oct 15, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
    This seems to get lost in the narrative

His entire game circa 2006 revolved around carrying the ball from the midfield into final third using his speed,guile and close control to create openings for his teammates

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2006/jul/06/worldcup2006.sport3

This was the exact same player every other matchday for Manchester United in 2006/07 amd 2007/08 (except he merged this on ball offensive threat with world class efficiency and end product)

Someone who compares his entire career gpg ratio to someone like Gerd muller,van basten,lewandowski etc is disingenuous in the best case scenario and completely ignorant in the worst

His career as a CF (post 2015) is completely untouchable for any of the aforementioned players

17. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I think luis figos 2000/01 may of had the most prolific dribbling campaign of the champions league era

Indications suggest something in the range of peak Lionel messi

Luis figo
    2000/01 CL

147 attempted dribbles
    1211 minutes played(13.4 matches)
    11~ attempted dribbles per 90
    https://www.skysports.com/football/news/2223031/beckham-to-lift-golden-ball-award
    https://www.transfermarkt.com/luis-figo/leistungsdaten/spieler/3446/saison/2000/wettbewerb/CL

Lionel Messi
    2014/15 CL

141 attempted dribbles
    1146 minutes played(12.7 matches)
    11~ attempted dribbles per 90
    https://www.whoscored.com/Players/11119/History/Lionel-Messi

He left behind records elsewhere that still havent been broken

His last Euro appearance was 17 years ago
    Ones like hazard,Cristiano,robben and ribery have featured in multiple tournaments and its still there

With some others it is either nostalgia or revisionism
    To the best of my knowledge the numbers were never really in favour for so called specialists like iniesta or Zidane

Edhardy repped this.
  18. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #418 carlito86, Dec 2, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
    Peak Neymar Jr

2017/18 to 2019/20
    League+champions league

Goals/Assists

Lionel Messi(better then Maradona)
    116 goals+54 assists
    10869 minutes played(120.7 matches)
    1.40 goals+assists per 90

Neymar Jr(worse then Figo)
    61 goals+35 assists
    6301 minutes played(70 matches)
    1.37 goals+assists per 90

Passing(overall)
    Neymar(worse then Figo)
    4226 passes
    6301 minutes(70 matches)
    60.3 passes per 90

7149 passes
    59.2 passes per 90

Key passes

Neymar(worse then Figo)
    210 key passes
    6301 minutes (70 matches)
    3 key passes per 90

329 key passes
    2.72 key passes per 90

Dribbling

Neymar(worse then Figo)
    433 Successful dribbles
    6301 minutes played(70 matches)
    6.18 succesful dribbles per 90

630 succesful dribbles
    5.21 successful dribbles per 90

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/50835/History/Neymar
    https://www.whoscored.com/Players/11119/History/Lionel-Messi

Tropeiro and Gregoire1 repped this.
  19. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Is it far to say Neymar highest seasonal peak would be 17-18?

He was better fed and given more scoring opportunities at Barcelona, and arguably his athleticism probably also allowed him to be a better dribbler.

However, I feel like his best role is probably at a playmaker, which he definitely showcased more of in PSG. It's hard to say because he keeps getting injured, but I think in 17/18, he still retained much of his goalscoring prowess and athleticism, something he's lost a bit in the last couple of years.

20. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid

21. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    Neymar is absolutely ahead of a guy like Figo. I wish he would stay healthy for an entire season because he could actually win the Ballon D'Or. I feel like he is a bit stronger than when he was younger which makes him better at pushing off defenders and finishing in the box.

22. Tropeiro

Tropeiro Member+

Jun 1, 2018
  23. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #423 carlito86, Oct 29, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2022
    @Tropeiro

5:55

Could've been one of the greatest assists in football history
    It was better then almost anything i can recall of any recognised ATG playmaker

For inventiveness the closest that comes to this was the back assist of ronaldinho gaucho IMO

24. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Neymar's best season was 2017/18 and he was surely better than De Bruyne. The amount of gamewinners he produced on weekly basis is incredible. He was also very good against Real in ucl that year..

People write off PSG's domestic success too easily. PSG won 4 leagues in the last 6 seasons. City also won 4 leagues in the last 6 seasons. If you ignore Liverpool for a minute, City won those leagues in a more dominant fashion than PSG. so is epl bad because of it? Is De Bruyne's legacy trash then? City won 2018/19 season basically without De Bruyne..

In those 6 seasons, City has reached one ucl final, just like PSG...

French league is not the best, but it is not walk in the park..

Danko repped this.