Has Arsene reached his sell by date?

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by martymarts, Sep 17, 2003.

1. dwinkler

dwinkler New Member

Aug 11, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Interesting take, but I think the order is more like this:

1. Wenger

2. Henry
    3. Vieira

2. Canada Gooner Grl

Canada Gooner Grl New Member

Sep 18, 2003
    East Coast Canada
    I agree with The Fallen and Coach that the monies generated by CL performance is important but my concern is at what cost physically to the team? We don't have a lot of fall-back, particularly in the defense department, and the squad is getting older. I'm sure there's talent up and coming but it's going to take them a while to get seasoned and in place. In the meantime, we're in transition -- old stalwards are showing their age (Bergman. Keown) and the new kids aren't ready to fill their boots by a long shot.

In the end, being an optimist, I think we'll do all right but a streak of bad luck in the injury dept and we're in a world of hurt for the whole shooting match.

3. runes777

runes777 New Member

Oct 15, 2002
    chicago
    (Bergman. Keown)

Bergman?DB10 I assume.....

4. Canada Gooner Grl

Canada Gooner Grl New Member

Sep 18, 2003
    East Coast Canada
    uhhhhhhhhhhhh.....i promise not to type when i'm drunk.

5. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know, if I had to choose I'd rank the CL as my first choice. It's the only competition we haven't proved ourselves in. I don't know what it is about the Champions League, but Arsenal just can't step up.

I've already seen them win the Premier League and the FA Cup, so I want a taste of European glory. I mean if Arsenal's track record was a bit more glorious in the CL, I'd put the League title as number one by far.

6. Grateful Gooner

Grateful Gooner New Member

May 3, 2001
    Charm City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if we won the CL. That said, I still feel that if the CL were won, but the league was not, it would be a hollow victory. The league is the #1 priority every year, simple as that.

7. martymarts

martymarts Member

Mar 11, 2003
    NYC
    We can't be a considered a truly great club team till we conquer the CL, preferably more than once. Besides that, we desperately need the wonga!

I'm delighted to see the raging debate that my drunken rantings has produced! 5 or 6 pints of Sam Adams is always a good way to begin an inquest, especially when the patient is still alive, as you did point out Dan!

We kept trying to put the ball through the middle, last night, but don't have anyone strong enough to play in the hole; unless it's one of the two kids we bought at the end of the summer?

Grit = a few more players who aren't just brushed off the ball, like fuzz out of a belly button! Point of origin for such aforementioned players; England, France, Alsace & Lorraine, Las Vegas or Timbuktu, it matters not a jot (do you think we could get Elvis to come out of hiding to play for us?)!

Problem is not defence, Toure will be great and Campbell will be back. Lauren is another matter, although he's hardly helped by the lack of mid-field coverage. The Middle is the route, Paddy can't do it all on his own! The back 4 aren't getting enough protection and there's not enough being created going forward. Will it sort itself out in time? Probably, but when it does it may already be too late!

The debate I started has it's route in the end of last season, it bedded down in the lack of change in the summer and could be in full bloom by the time we reach Kiev on October 21st. I will board my plane for Manchester on Saturday evening, bouyed by the wave of optimism sent my way in this thread, and I will keep faith.

COME ON YOU GUNNERS

8. OPArsenal

OPArsenal New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. SHADEY

SHADEY Member

Jul 15, 2003
    CINCINNATI
    Importance of CL vs. League & FA Cup

I share most everyone's sentiment that the CL is extremely important for the club's future, but mostly because of the money involved and not as much because we have not proven ourselves on the CL stage yet.

I think that most any observant fan would realize that Arsene was not able to go out and spend the transfer funds required to challenge for CL title this year. That being said, the money that comes from CL games will help complete Ashburton Grove, which most of us feel will help cement Arsenal's financial place alongside Manure, AC Milan, Real Madrid, etc... as a regular challenger for the European Championship in the years to come.

There is no way to undervalue a League Championship. It means so much to so many. Always has and always will.

Despite all that, I feel that the 2003/2004 FA Cup Title carries much more weight this season for Arsenal than for any other club........simply because we can win for the 3rd straight year......something that nobody else has ever done! This does not mean that I place equal value on the FA Cup as I do on CL or the League, but certainly it is more important to me this year than in year's past.

10. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Re: Importance of CL vs. League & FA Cup

Not actually true, but no team has won 3 in a row since the 1880's so it would still be a great achievement.