Has Anyone Noticed?

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Coach_McGuirk, Nov 9, 2003.

1. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    That during this early season unbeaten run, in which we all have been kvetching about (take your pick: DB10's age & skill, Henry's lack of partner, the form of the midfield, Lauren's stunning ability to set up the opposition, etc.), no one has really mentioned Lehman at all. No moaning about him, but no real praise for him either.

Seems to me that last year we argued about Seaman every 2 weeks or so.

Call me crazy, but Lehman may be the best value signing in all the Premiership from last summer. people said he had a bad temper and got booked often, but here he hasn't been booked (he does appear to be a guy you don't want to "F" with, though) and he's certainly helped himself in his quest to become Germany's #1. All that and he's been right into the fray every time any dust up has occurred on the field (OT comes to mind).

Lehman may be as much a reason as any other that Arsenal is still unbeaten so far.

2. jwaldman11

jwaldman11 New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    The OC
    I think the key with Lehman is that he's been consistently solid. He doesn't make the spectacular saves that Seaman did in the past, but he also doesn't make the major blunders either. The only major gaffe I can recall was in Kiev. Add to that the fire that he brings and we've got ourselves one helluva steal. In other words, your typical Wenger signing!

3. goonerooni

goonerooni Member

May 21, 2003
    Hertfordshire
    Ive been impressed with the keeper, its a shmare really he didnt come to us in the mid-late twenties instead of his early thirties

4. OPArsenal

OPArsenal New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very true, this. I remember Safe Hands's spectacular save against (I think...) Soton last year, in his milestone start (was it 100?). The more I think about it, though, the more I want to say why was it necessary that he have to do that? It was poor positioning, plain and simple. All in all, though, Manchester City got a good keeper, and we got a great one. There are some people who feel like Lehmann (is it two "n's" or one???) has yet to prove himself, but I think that he has and is fitting in quite well for the AFC. During "The Battle of Old Trafford" he was right there alongside the rest of the boys. He seems like he'll be a good leader for our side, and he's got CL experience to boot.

5. Warrenton Wanderers

Warrenton Wanderers New Member

Apr 14, 2002
    Warrenton, VA
    Speaking of keepers, does anyone know what's happened to Stuart Taylor this season? I don't recall him being on the bench all season and, according to Arsenal.com, he hasn't played a reserve match since September 3rd.

6. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you referring to Seaman's amazing save against Sheffield in the FA Cup Semi's last season? I think it was against Peschosolido (sp?). That was a fantastic save, but I feel much safer with Lehman in net. He doesn't get much mention but I'm definitely glad he's on the team. And after him sticking up for his teammates in Old Trafford, I'm hoping he'll be around for a bit.

7. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    I haven't had any real problems with his play in the EPL games I've seen, but what about the CL? I haven't seen any of those games but from what I remember reading JL has made several costly mistakes which have compounded our misery in that competition.

Could someone who's actually seen those games comment on my impression?

8. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    Ya know the thing about Lehmann is that he doesnt really do the amazing save.. sure he has his moments, but I really don't remember saying "blimey what a save"~ he is steady and didnt have a chance on the goal vs sp*rs~ I always thought of him as a pratt at Dortmund and a member of the german national team so i always despised him... c'est la vie~~ his age means a stop-gap type... is taylor the long-term answer?

9. Jeff L

Jeff L Member

May 12, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Stuart Taylor is still currently injured. (Shoulder).

10. Warrenton Wanderers

Warrenton Wanderers New Member

Apr 14, 2002
    Warrenton, VA
    Thanks Jeff. I figured as much, but hadn't heard anything official.

11. OPArsenal

OPArsenal New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lehmann = good stuff. And that's all that needs to be said.

12. Azabache

Azabache Member

Nov 22, 1998
    Essex Co.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I've always thought that a good keeper is one that rarely one needs to talk about. Correct positioning and good communication with his defenders will make spectacular saves mostly unnecessary. Jens was a solid addition.

13. BayouGooner

BayouGooner New Member

Apr 2, 2003
    Lake Charles, LA
    Jens' ariel ability and Paul Robinson

Jens is so much better than David claiming balls in the air from corners and free kicks. Every time there was a set piece against Arsenal, I held my breath because anything was liable to happen. Jens has really soothed those fears. However, I still think AW should have brought in Paul Robinson who could have been had cheaper. Yes, he lacks the experience Jens has, but he brings the same fire and more shotstopping ability (imho). Plus he's a whole lot younger. A move from Leeds could have done him a world of good plus perhaps a regular England shirt. But anyway, Jens has done a fine job, except for that howler in Russia. Another fine signing AW.

14. Jeff L

Jeff L Member

May 12, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Robinson gave up the winning goal to Denmark yesterday for England. I still don't think he is Arsenal material.

15. Brodo

Brodo New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Deep in Spurs territ
    He had made a string of outstanding save prior to that.

16. Jeff L

Jeff L Member

May 12, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I know. But to quote that old saying, "You're only as good as your last game". (Or save). And when that one lost the game... well........

17. goonerooni

goonerooni Member

May 21, 2003
    Hertfordshire
    Re: Re: Has Anyone Noticed?

I agree with Jeff here. The signing of Paul Robinson might not be the long term answer.

Good young keeper, capped by England, highly reguarded, qualified for europe with a promising young team, watched by europes big guns, The EXACT same things where said about Richard Wright, but the transfornmation to a bigger club where the pressure is massive, he just couldnt cut it at times......

18. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Lehmann has been a great addition.

He is a very good GK. He stands up for his teammates. Jans has an unquenchable competitive fire and Wenger got him for a good price. He will forge his space in Arsenal lore, if he continues his fine goalkeeping. I think we got younger at GK and still have a top shelf player.

19. masterstgy

masterstgy New Member

Apr 15, 2003
    New Jersey
    We got a "keeper"

Jens has been real solid this year. Needs to develop a better relationship with Sol. Overall very solid. Definately our keeper for the next 3 years. Then Taylor?

20. naggi

naggi Member

Feb 15, 2002
    san francisco
    Re: Re: Re: Has Anyone Noticed?

Paul Robinson was less than impressive against us a few weeks ago. Got beaten on the near post by Robert Pires, didn't cover the goal well... I agree that he's not Arsenal material.

21. jmpike

jmpike New Member

Sep 29, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Spelling

iginally posted by OPArsenal [/i]
    Lehmann (is it two "n's" or one???) [/QUOTE]

It's Lehmann.

Does anyone know soccerbase.com?

Austere but kinda neat.

22. OPArsenal

OPArsenal New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Has Anyone Noticed?

Spot on. Lehmann is the fix from now until he "age's out." Then stick Taylor in and give Stack a few appearances to make sure he's comfortable. I think Graham has the makings of one of the game's truly great keepers...

23. jegerpenge

jegerpenge New Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Lake Charles, LA
  24. naggi

naggi Member

Feb 15, 2002
    san francisco
    Aside from the ridiculous DiCanio penalty in the Charlton game, we have not give away a set piece goal so far this season. That is the sign of an organized defense, I think, and Lehmann has a lot to do with it. When he has time to set the defense, we are very hard to score on.

25. OPArsenal

OPArsenal New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States