Has anyone heard of the language Esperanto?

Discussion in 'Education and Academia' started by Douai, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Douai

Douai New Member

Jun 16, 2006
    États-Unis
    Has anyone heard of Esperanto? I found out about it recently.
    http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/e/languages/esperanto.html

2. Nuzzo

Nuzzo Member

Jul 13, 2006
    Bulgaria
    I remember that Esperanto peaked in Bulgaria in the late 80s and early 90s. I also think that DW or other satellite program ran its teletext on Esperanto

3. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Douai

Douai New Member

Jun 16, 2006
    États-Unis
    It has a unique sound.I wonder how many speakers there really are for this language.

5. womble_timsk

womble_timsk New Member

Jul 10, 2007
    First up, I have to confess I'm only here on this forum to chip in about Esperanto, so forgive my interloping.

To answer the question above, it's difficult to say exactly -- partly because it's impossible to round up everyone in a hundred and odd countries who's ever learnt the language, and partly because it's difficult to define what level you need to attain before you can call yourself "an Esperanto speaker" -- but the figure usually quoted is "somewhere between 1 and 2 million people".

Now, next to English or Spanish, that ain't many, certainly, but for a language that doesn't have a British Council or an army and propagates almost exclusively from person to person by word of mouth, I think that's pretty good. There are 92 countries with a national Esperanto association affiliated with UEA, the world organisation, and numerous other lands where there are Esperanto speakers but no official organisation just yet.

<shameless self-promotion>
    Here's a video clip of me trying to teach Kelly Clarkson a few words. (Give it a minute or two to start -- it has to download an 8Mb video before you'll see anything.)
    </shameless self-promotion>

If you're interested in learning, have a look at the dozen or so free online courses at http://www.lernu.net or look up your nearest local organisation/club by clicking on the English section at http://www.uea.org (If you can't find what you're looking for, drop me a PM and I'll look up someone in your area). :)

Enjoy!

6. Douai

Douai New Member

Jun 16, 2006
    États-Unis
    It still amazes me how far this man-made language has come. Some people even consider it to be a natural language now.

That's cool that you were able to appear on that popular British show, and with Kelly Clarkson even. The word for stay seems so hard to pronounce.Isn't it that long "T" word?

I have been to lernu! before. I heard the courses they provide to learn Esperanto are very good. Currently, I am re-learning my father and his country's native language,French, but I plan on learning this unique language in the future. Thanks for all of the information.

7. womble_timsk

womble_timsk New Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Indeed, it's hard to come up with a definition of "a natural language" that somehow excludes Esperanto without also excluding several others like Nynorsk and Modern Hebrew (which I don't think anybody seriously consider to be anything other than natural languages).

There are several much simpler words, like "resti", "loĝi" or "gasti" that would do if you just want to say "stay". The word I used was "tranoktigonton", which -- in one word -- means "someone who's going to give me somewhere to spend the night".

Je te félicite pour ta motivation en ce qui concerne les langues étrangères. Bonne chance dans toutes tes études. :)

8. Douai

Douai New Member

Jun 16, 2006
    États-Unis
    That is why I think Esperanto should be considered natural, now.

I read that there are so many ways to express yourself in Esperanto.

Merci. Je veux parler plusieurs langues (néerlandais, latin,espagnol,portugais,espéranto,russe,italien). Il semble difficile, mais je ferai un effort.

9. Jayfil

Jayfil Member

Feb 24, 2000
    South Burlington, Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My cat speaks Esperanto. He has never listened to anything I've said in English, French, German, Spanish, or Russian. One day I said to him, "leki via kiel!" and he commenced licking his ass! Remarkable!

10. Douai

Douai New Member

Jun 16, 2006
    États-Unis
    Interesting :D .

11. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Baxter, you know I don't speak Esperanto! In English, please...:D

Edit: So where are the majority of native Esperanto speakers located?

12. Douai

Douai New Member

Jun 16, 2006
    États-Unis
    I'm not sure, but I heard it is pretty popular across the globe.

13. simaozinho

simaozinho New Member

Feb 17, 2006
    new york
    this is the fist time i have heard about it

14. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had heard of Esperanto... but I never really looked into it. Aside from learning lots of vocabulary.... basically, the words for things... it seems like a really easy language to learn... without all the exceptions and oddball verb forms that make no sense in other languages... especially ours.

I really just checked into this thread to say that "Esperanto" made the New York Times crossword puzzle on Tuesday! It was the 1A answer!

Actually, got curious... looks like it'd been used four times previously... once in the NYT, once in the LA Times, once in the NY Sun, and one publisher whose initials I don't recognize.

15. Douai

Douai New Member

Jun 16, 2006
    États-Unis
    Supposely, it is pretty easy to earn and the creator designed it with that intention.

16. roninmedia

roninmedia Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Orlando
    I've heard of it. It plays on the speakers of the set in the movie "Gattica" (Or it says so on the closed caption on the movie). They probably mentioned the language during the course of the movie but I don't remember.

17. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    George Soros is a native speaker.

18. Douai

Douai New Member

Jun 16, 2006
    États-Unis
    Your right. I just found an article about that on the internet. That's pretty interesting.