Has ANYONE contacted Kobe or Beckham about buying the Sol?

Discussion in 'Los Angeles Sol' started by REALfootballRulez, Jan 30, 2010.

1. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm following up on a post made by SoAlive and he/she thinks that Kobe should buy the Sol and I agree. Either him or Beckham or a combination of the 2.

LongtimeSub noted that rich people don't like to lose money and he/she gave the example of Jerry Buss' ownership of the LA Sparx. Obviously I knew that as well.

However Kobe and Beckham are both tied to soccer and Kobe even introduced Marta to the public last year at a press conference and he said one of his goals in the 2008 Beijing Olympics was to see Marta play.

I just don't see how both Kobe and Beckham would be so cold as to flatly turn down the Sol and let the team die.

I know Beckham in is Italy but he has days off and these days you can wire money anywhere in the world in a few hours if it came down to that.

The Sol GM said he believes in miracles and is doing all he can to save the Sol. If he's REALLY doing all he can then he or someone with the Sol need to contact Kobe and Beckham NOW!!

2. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure beckham and kobe are aware of the LA Sol situation and if they wanted to invest they would have.

3. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe they just need some cajoling.

4. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you really think AEG or WPS is so stupid they didn't inquire about the Sol to both beckam and kobe knowing their involvement in LA and soccer?

5. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean "Do you really think AEG or WPS are so stupid that they didn't inquire about the Sol"

That's what I'm asking in this thread. Has ANYONE contacted Beckham and Kobe about the Sol situation?

6. LAGalaxyfan1981

Nov 14, 2007
    Simi Valley
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought all along that Kobe would be the ideal owner for the Sol (huge soccer fan, lots of money), but one sticking point could be his sponsorship deal with Nike. Would Nike allow Bryant to run a team in a league that is sponsored by Puma???

Now I did go to Puma's website and it looks like they're not all that focused on baksetball (mostly soccer, golf, motorsport just to name a few?), so that could be a potential loophole.

I can gaurantee you one thing: Addidas would be up in arms if Beckham tried to own the Sol.

7. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I also agree that Kobe would be the ideal owner since not only he is a soccer fan but a Marta fan. He personally introduced her to the media when she came to America and the Sol.

When you've got the kind of money Kobe and Bekcham do (each worth over $100M) you can simply set up a 3rd party ownership, dummy corporation, shell company, etc.)

They could even pass the bucks onto someone else they confide in and let THEM buy the Sol.

Botton line is we're NOT talking about buying an NFL,NBA,NHL,MLB, or even MLS team but just a WPS team.

Those guys could do it over the phone if a few minutes if they really wanted to. I just wonder if they've been contacted and been sincerely told by the Sol GM or someone with the Sol about the desperate situation.

8. LAGalaxyfan1981

Nov 14, 2007
    Simi Valley
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You defininitely got something there and far as the third company/dummy corporation thing.

You know what I also just realized; the jerseys of the US women's national team are made by Nike, so that could be another loophole since Nike is willing to let Abby Wambach, Hope Solo etc. wear Puma-made jerseys and kick a Puma ball.

9. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well there you go!! All Kobe needs to do now is sign on the dotted line! :)

10. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    You guys are crazy.

Kobe could care less about owning a team or anything in this leage
    So what if he likes soccer and introduced Marta last year.
    He isnt putting out a few million dollars to invest in a women's professional soccer league that most assume in this country will eventually fail soon.

This thread just makes me laugh. I mean, why don't they contact Magic Johnson why they're at it (LOL)? I mean, he used to play for the Lakers and is a business man now. He may be interested in throwing a few million at this league. Cmon now, let's be serious. Maybe Brad Pitt might be an option as well, LOL.

Is Oprah Winfrey interested? LOL.
    I heard LeBron James is on a plane right now getting ready to meet with Tonya Antonucci at the local White Castle to talk about investment and ownership opportunities while they share a 6-pack of sliders together.

11. lacy17

lacy17 Member

Oct 6, 2006
    now that was funny, Brilliant! Maybe Bill Gates will buy the team instead of vaccinating children around the world so they don't die, so footballrulez can watch women's soccer in LA.

I went to every Sol match, driving up from San Diego and yes I am bummed the team folded. But in a city of 10+ million (LA and surrounding areas) how can we only get 5000 to attend a match. And if you were there the 5000 avg were tickets sold/given away, on most day (aside from the opening match) there might have been 1500 to 2500 fans actually in the seats. Plus I heard that they only sold on avg just over 1000 tickets (tickets that were paid for) the rest were corp. give-a-ways and tickets given to local schools and youth soccer clubs.

So should they have played at the Home Depot Ctr (22,000+ seating)??? or maybe at a smaller venue. I wish they would have put the team in San Diego and played at USD, back in the day the SD Spirit matches were well attended and fun. Also AEG's agreement with the league was only for the first year, the WPS knew that AEG was going to sell since that final match last year.

It cracks me up people on here saying that LA have the biggest fan base, so 3000 to 5000 people attending a match in such a large city is big fan base?? due the math.

Next So. Cal team in San Diego please