Hartford Soccer

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by MichaelQReilly, Sep 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MichaelQReilly

MichaelQReilly New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Glastonbury, CT
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There have been threads before in the past about how Hartford, CT has a stadium and a deep pocketed prospective owner but is being blocked from pursing an expansion team by Bob Kraft's insistence that CT is part of his team's territory.

Now I'm not sure that given the bigger cities like Philly that don't have a team that Hartford should be at the top of the expansion list. But after going to Rentschler Field for the first time yesterday for a UConn football game, I couldn't help but notice that the stadium would be absolutely perfect for MLS.

[​IMG]
    If expansion in Hartford isn't in the cards, what if New England started playing some of their games there? Based on comments I've read, Gillette is a terrible soccer stadium. I know there is bad blood between the city of Hartford and Kraft, but really, with all these teams that don't have SS stadiums, its a real shame that a perfect one in one of the country's wealthiest metro areas sits vacant save for about 5 UConn football games.

2. Schwalker

Schwalker New Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Gelsenkirchen/Finja
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, unless he got an exclusive for X number of years MLS could just say "Sorry, Bob..But given that LA got two teams etc etc" and give Hartford a franchise anyway.

3. MichaelQReilly

Jul 23, 2007
    Glastonbury, CT
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. MichaelQReilly

Jul 23, 2007
    Glastonbury, CT
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing, I didn't make as clear as I wanted to in my first post. I know that Hartford has been discussed to death. I didn't want to reopen the subject.

My main goal for this thread was to discuss the idea of the Revs playing a game or two there. It couldn't hurt, after all, in helping to raise their profile as a total New England, and not just Boston area, team.

5. AlecW81

AlecW81 Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then why post this in this forum? Go to the Revs forum.

6. wolfp10

wolfp10 Member

Sep 25, 2005
    Not this crap again.

The last couple of threads were a trainwreck.

7. MichaelQReilly

Jul 23, 2007
    Glastonbury, CT
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was trying to look at the issue differently. Apparently its not the best idea. No harm, no foul. Mods feel free to shut this thread down.