Hartford Athletic Thread

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by JDogindy, Apr 21, 2019.

1. JDogindy

JDogindy Member

Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thread is for those who live in the Connecticut region who support the Athletic.

However, upon making this thread... it's also to examine just how... awful the team is at the moment. And "awful" is being polite. Let's evaluate the team's current standing in the table.

[​IMG]

A minus 15 goal differential, with only Tacoma having a worse stat in the league due to hideous goaltending and terrible defense. But, at least when Tacoma manages to win this season, it's due to multiple factors going their way, and they have managed to earn 6 points so far for a reserve team that historically does very badly in the USL.

What hasn't helped Hartford is the fact that, unlike most of the other teams, Hartford has yet to play their first home match due to stadium renovations (which won't actually be ready until July, so they'll be playing at a temporary venue in East Hartford until then), so they've been, in-essence, a travelling team much like what you see in an independent baseball league. And, like every travelling team, they quality of play and, potentially, the player core, have been awful. The closest they got to a victory was a 1-0 loss to the Indy Eleven, but don't let that fool you; that goal by the Eleven was actually an own goal by Hartford's Nikolaj Lyngo, who is clearly an expendable member of the roster. That being said... I am just in awe as to how a team can be this bad on its own. I can buy Tacoma or Toronto FC II being awful on the grounds of the parent club not giving a damn about developmental and those teams being stuck having to make due with whatever random assets are given to them, but Hartford is not affiliated to any MLS team, so the fact that a team can be this awful without that governor attached to them can't be it. Expansion can't just be another excuse, as you can see the other 3 expansion teams in the East in this picture (Birmingham, Loudoun, and Memphis) and while those teams are also dealing with growing pains, they also have managed to get victories and draws against teams while maintaining a more consistent differential.

So… what is exactly going on with Hartford? And, when do you think they'll get their first point? Or... if?

2. IndySoccer25

IndySoccer25 New Member

Indy Eleven
    United States
    Apr 21, 2019
    Yep, Hartford doesn’t have a lot of talent, but the talent they do have is better than... whatever it is they’re putting on the field right now. It’s tough to believe how bad they’ve been.

3. ctsoccer13

ctsoccer13 Member+

Mar 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Went to my first game last Sunday. Tough loss. Bad mistake by the goalie, followed up by some great saves by the goalie. Nobody stops the third goal. Rocket from 25 - 30 out, right into the upper corner. We hit the bar a ton of times. Tough loss. And I just purchased my tickets for the Dillon Stadium opener on July 13th. Can't wait.

4. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ctsoccer13 repped this.
  5. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ctsoccer13 repped this.
  6. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. topnoevili

topnoevili Member

MUFC, Hartford Athletic
    Apr 11, 2006
    Wilmington, DE
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Went to the game Saturday vs Miami FC (2-0 win) and was impressed with the team and matchday experience. Large crowd, lively supporters section, Dillon Stadium in great shape for what it is/was. I started paying attention via social media to them this season (live in DE but most of my family in CT). This game convinced me, can't wait to go back.

A few standouts from where I was sitting, but everyone played well.

CAM #10 Barrera - MOTM 2 assists. I went to the game with several sports (but not soccer yet) fans and they all noted his skill and guile. Game seems to slow when he's on the ball, great in tight spaces.

GK #13 Caldwell - excellent command of the area, dealt really well with aerial balls into the box, made a few good reflex saves as well.

CM #8 Gomez - broke up play and tracked runners on D, and kept the ball moving in attack.

RM/RW #23 Etaka - constant threat on the counter, good decision making in the attack, tracked back when necessary (including one tackle that saved a breakaway).

CM #28 McGlynn - scored from outside the box following a Barrera backheel.

RB? #2 Lara - scored the opener, solid on D.

ctsoccer13 repped this.
  8. ctsoccer13

ctsoccer13 Member+

Mar 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    now that they are getting into the youth soccer business I'm hoping they will become even more popular in the area.

9. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FC Motown
    Our very own Kenny Hot (@knyhot) has joined @hfdathletic of the @uslchampionship[​IMG] Congrats and good luck to Kenny as he enters this next chapter of his football journey!

10. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Connecticut Pro Soccer
    Today it was announced:
    "Hartford Athletic, Trinity Health Of New England, and the City of Hartford announced today a multi-year stadium naming rights partnership that will see Dillon Stadium’s name changed to Trinity Health Stadium."
    Would prefer to see Trinity Health of New England's Dillon Stadium, but neither here nor there. What is of greater importance is whether or not the City and/or State have been fully refunded for their initial investment. According to the Yankee Institute, "But how Dillon Stadium’s revitalization came about is a matter of debate, particularly because most of it was paid with a $10 million bond granted by the state of Connecticut under Gov. Dannel Malloy, and the appearance of a backroom deal negotiated between the quasi-public Capital Region Development Authority and Bruce Mandell, owner of Newington-based Hartford Sports Group."
    It is our belief that all public money should be reimbursed prior to additional funds being passed on to the Hartford Sports Group. Public funding for private use stadiums, such as those used by Hartford Yard Goats and Hartford Athletic, do serve a public good, but no private entity should receive payment prior to the reimbursement of the initial public funds used to build these facilities.

12. ctsoccer13

ctsoccer13 Member+

Mar 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw the announcement as well. Anyone from around here will still call it Dillon. I remember being in there when Pele played. It has a great tradition.

13. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. ctsoccer13

ctsoccer13 Member+

Mar 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd seen the facebook posts telling us that we would be VERY excited by the name of the new coach. They weren't wrong. In a lackluster year for the HA this shows they are still committed to putting out a good product and drawing fans in and making this a great franchise.

msilverstein47 repped this.
  15. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hartford Athletic relieves Head Coach Tab Ramos of duties

https://www.uslchampionship.com/news_article/show/1277702

ASSISTANT COACH AND DIRECTOR OF SCOUTING OMID NAMAZI PROMOTED TO HEAD COACH

16. ctsoccer13

ctsoccer13 Member+

Mar 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll admit I've only been to one game this year but most of what I've read on Facebook points more to the organization and ownership than Tab. They lost some good players and brought in some so-so players. We've gone through a ton of coaches in the last years, one of them has to be given a couple of years to build. And what about Ray Reid, the Technical Director? Shouldn't he be held just as responsible? I get that because we don't have promotion/relegation that good players will leave, but what are the other teams doing that we aren't?

17. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm only guessing that Ray Reid is a bit of a local legend maybe gets a pass here???

18. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This team needs a complete overhaul after the season. At the start of the year the owner made a commitment to make this team better. They are arguably worse than last year. They players they brought in this season, on paper, looked like an upgrade however the team is no better and soccer is not played on paper. The owner needs to replace Ray with someone who knows USL and find a coach he is willing to commit to for at least two seasons. Then needs to find some better talent for the pitch. The owner does not have deep pockets but he needs to get a better product on the field or face losing fans.

19. JDogindy

JDogindy Member

Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The addition of Rhode Island FC this upcoming season will help foster a regional rivalry if both teams remain solvent. However, as Hartford has struggled on the field, they do need to figure out player development and will likely need to change staff, like you said.

20. ctsoccer13

ctsoccer13 Member+

Mar 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well i've seen a ton of roster changes since the end of the season, that's for sure.