Hart or Buffon?

Discussion in 'Manchester City' started by Alan D, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Alan D

Alan D New Member

Nov 5, 2005
    York
    To set this straight, not for one moment am I being so deluded to think that we would definitely sign Buffon next month because it would be a drop down even though we can claim we are the richest in the world and give him insane wages. He showed divine loyalty when Juventus were relegated to Serie B a couple of seasons ago. But the rumours are there and lets say for sakes that we are trying to sign him from Juventus, would you want him ahead of Hart?

Personally I wouldn't, no disrespect to Buffon and it isn't anything against his abilities as a goalkeeper because he is undoubtedly one of the best but I can't help think we have a potentially world-class goalkeeper ourselves here. He hasn't put a foot wrong, I hope that doesn't act as a 'commentators curse' for tomorrow but honestly he has pretty outstanding so far and goalkeeper is the last area we need to be concerned about, other than the lack of a number three. One area he will gain experience in is commanding the area and learning when to catch rather than punch but it hasn't caused us problems yet.

2. Delle Alpi

Delle Alpi BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a fan of Juventus as well I love Gigi but that said would not want to see him come to City. I to think that we have the makings of a world class keeper in Joe Hart. It is only a matter of time before he becomes the England number 1 and his stock can only rise. Gigi is great but I fear his very best years are behind him or soon to be behind him and Joe Hart is just starting his journey. I say sign a couple of quality defenders to add to what we already have and leave Joe between the pipes. We may need a lot of things but I don't feel keeper is one of them

3. pazzmore

pazzmore Member

Jun 17, 2000
    Tucson, AZ
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was disgusted by Buffon's comments about "I'm only interested in playing real football now" when asked about MCFC. Let's spend our cash on a Left Back and a Center Mid first. Hart is young, but very solid.

4. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Crazy money for a position that we do need strengthening in, no matter how good Gigi is (the greatest goalkeeper in the world over the last five years for mine). If Hart was being inconsisent, and losing confidence then i could see it ... but i just don't think we need him.

He is better than Hart, but you address your need's first, not stockpile strengths, that comes after.

5. CityBlues

CityBlues Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we are all in agreement here.

6. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well - along with every other player in Europe - we've also been linked with Real Madrid's Iker Casillas who has a £128 million(!) buyout clause. He is only 27 and very loyal to Madrid, so I don't know if an obscene bid would budge he and Real. He captained Spain to their Euro 2008 win though, so supposing we ARE to sign a keeper, after reading Buffo(o)n's comment about playing "real football" (in Europe's third or fourth best league? Haha, it isn't the 90's anymore, Gigi! Maybe he fears the likes of Torres, Ronaldo, Robinho, Adebayor, and Drogba shooting at him?), I think I'd rather see Casillas come in.

But I WANT Hart to get a chance - so before we go spending like crazy on a keeper, how about instead buying defenders to bolster the area in front of Joe - who has played well - and seeing how that works?

7. MLSn00b

MLSn00b Member

Apr 3, 2008
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm, don't think I really need to add more to this conversation. Yes Buffon is better than Hart, and even if we could afford him, I still just don't think its smart to throw all that money at a goalkeeper when we already have serviceable keeper in Hart.

8. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hart has heart - Buffon is a buffoon.

9. pazzmore