harrison stadium?

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by blank25, Feb 24, 2006.

1. blank25

blank25 Member

May 18, 2002
    bergen county
    Have the metros had a ground breaking ceremony at the new site in harrison? If not, does any one have a clue when it will be? Have they announce when they expect to play in it in 2007?

2. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Opening Day 2008 is the new target. There's been too many delays to make sometime in 2007.

3. kubrick74

kubrick74 Member

Apr 19, 2004
    How do you know this? I agree that 2007 (even a late opening, say August) is a tough one, but was there an official announcement ?

4. Milhouse

Milhouse Member

Dec 29, 1998
    Clifton, NJ
    I think Nick said something about it in an interview recently. It may have been on BigAppleSoccer.com

5. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I read it somewhere, though I couldn't tell you where at the moment. Considering they haven't actually started construction (right?), I can't see how 2007 happens.

I'd rather Opening Day 2008 over a rushed August 2007 opening anyway. Open it when it's finished and ready to go.

6. dub77

dub77 New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    in denial
    Here is the standard "we'll know in 60-90 days" post....

7. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone would like to see it like that but knowing the Metro FO it's not going to happen

8. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In order to have a ceremony they need to have an actual ground breaking, which is yet to happen. At this point I'm thinking 2009.

9. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    nice. Shame my backyard isn't big enough........ oh well.......

10. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    The Harrison Stadium is more of a theoretical construct than anything tangible.

11. mlsfan31

mlsfan31 Member

Nov 1, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read sometime ago that the current tenant is taking its time getting out.

That was the first delay fo about six moths.

But I also read recently the first month of this year that they are finally out and clean up has started. I would assume clean up could take some time.

On Yahoo maps that place looks like it's had many years of industrial crap dumped over it.

Unless they find nuclear waist. I guess clean up should take a few months and they should break ground in this MLS season.

Start time 06/06 should be done 06/08.

Good luck.

12. Super Metro

Super Metro New Member

Aug 2, 1999
    New York City
    The foreign company building the stadium is now moving and it needs time to relocate, leaving the Metros project in limbo for now.

13. Exit16W

Exit16W New Member

Aug 27, 2005
    Reston VA
    The company is not from the UAE is it?

14. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    The moving companies that are on the land right now are taking their sweet precious time to remove themselves off the land. That's what I have heard.

15. Mafia Azul

Mafia Azul New Member

Feb 19, 1999
    Titusville, PA
    Did a drive by the other day and noticed new signs going up by the real estate developer. I think they said some like "Metro Park - Future home of the Metrostars"

16. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [typical Metro pessimism] "Future? FUture?!?" Notice it does not say "2007, "2008", "2020" , but future! [/typical Metro pessimism]

17. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I, too, did a drive by last week. Most of the area looks deserted to me.

Interesting side note, when driving by, I turned left onto a side road next to the property. There was a car pulled over to the side of the road with a middle-aged driver and a young asian woman in it. The passenger was definately crouched down trying to hide (or something).

I yelled out the window "Hurry up and finish already! You're holding up the ground breaking!"

(um, no, I wasn't yelling at the guy in the car. Well, not intentionally.)

18. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A little information about the redevelopment of Newark and Harrison in the following NY Times link: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/01/realestate/commercial/01newark.html

By the way, it mentions that the MetroStars has leased office space across the river from the Harrison construction. I'm not sure if this is new information to you or not.

19. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    Faux Harrison Stadium?

20. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    They announced the moving of the corporate offices in January.

If done correctly, it could turn into a really nice area and with the Ironbound community, huge for soccer. You wonder if they get gentrified out of the way, but hopefully not. Having a re-done Newark to go along with a redeveloped Harrison could make the Metro stadium something unique in the US (eventhough the stadium itself will be a bit of a cookie cutter with the LA , Dallas & Chicago stadiums).