Harrison Deal Dead.

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Simon Birch, Nov 10, 2004.

1. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a resident of Southern New Jersey, I find it distressing that some of my tax money goes to support a Meadowlands facility I rarely, if ever, use and for a new arena for a Devils team that may never play again. I have some similar feelings about this, but the entire project is more than just a stadium so I can deal with it. Plus, I think a soccer stadium would be a good thing for the league and soccer in NJ in general. Since other teams in NJ have received state help, why not the Metro? In a big state, I don't think its possible to benefit from every large state expenditure.

What bothers me about this more than anything, though, is the way an unelected governor can come in and derail such a project. I would hope the assembly and the senate would enact some sort of constitutional reforms that would prevent an elected representative of a particular district to become the governor in the event of a vacancy and to prevent a governor from denying residents the ability to actually elect a replacement when he or she announces a resignation but chooses to leave office at a time which avoids a special election. We'll now have two unelected governors since 2001. The reasons for McGreevy's departure or his party affiliation are not my issues here. Its the fact that he can make a calculated political decision that denies us the right to choose his successor and thus have an unelected governor impose his own agenda on the state for the sake of preserving his party's power. Whitman was able to do the same thing when she left to join the Bush administration and it isn't right.

2. Vistula

Vistula New Member

Jul 2, 2001
    Garfield
    All I want for Christmas is:

1. A nice grass field, 75X120 yards, please.
    2. 12-20,000 bleacher seats.

I'll bring my own snacks and drinks. The most fun I've ever had at any Metro game (except a few of the early ones in '96) was last year's Open Cup games at Rutgers. Bleachers, a nice field, an intimate atmosphere.

If Harrison ain't happening, give us bleachers and grass somewhere.

3. tfoisie

tfoisie New Member

Nov 9, 2004
    I have a "call" in; have not heard back yet. I'll share what I learn.

4. Revs007

Revs007 Member

Nov 11, 2000
    Boston

See, I along with others get the feeling that this project was a no-go way before Codey came in and dropped the bomb!

What bothers me is the approach the Metros have taken in dealing with every facet of this stadium deal.

I'm furious at the Metros organization right now.

Could Codey have asserted some pressure for HCIA to potentially derail this project in hoping that his more ambitious meadowlands project could become more of a reality?

5. Crewmudgeon

Crewmudgeon Member+

Sep 3, 1999
    Crewdom
    Loser!

6. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    From day 1 in 1996 the metrostars have been a disaster in every aspect. It almost seems as if this organization is cursed. What else could possibly go wrong?

7. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no idea, but I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.

8. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    It gets worse. This is the lead story on the star ledgers website nj.com

9. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Front page with 20 other stories? Yes.

Lead? not from where I'm staring at. YMMV

10. tfoisie

tfoisie New Member

Nov 9, 2004
    Here's what I've heard back:

The MetroStars are still currently working with Harrison on the stadium deal. This deal is not dead and they are still on course for April 2006 (time is ticking fast though isn't it).

The fact that the new governor of NJ has included the MetroStars in
    discussions regarding our new stadium being part of the Meadowlands
    redevelopment project is viewed as having no impact on the MetroStars Harrison stadium.

11. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    can we trust MFO?

can we trust NJSEA?

can we trust Codey?

Christ I hate politics

12. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what do you guys think about stealing say twenty bulldozers and just grinding out a 120x70 yard rectangle in the middle of the city someplace.

If we plant the grass soon, it should be ready for next season.

13. DFjersey

DFjersey New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    These "fill-in" governors never work. Look at the mess when Donnie D was in charge after Whitman left for the EPA. He was pardoning everyone and their brother, literally.

I am very, very discouraged hearing this news. Maybe a temporary governor can't get his grand plans in place in one year, but I imagine he can cause problems with our plans.

I also think there's very little chance the AEG would pay the full cost. And if they wanted to give a big F-U to New Jersey, it certainly wouldn't be by paying for it themselves, it would be by moving them elsewhere.

14. ElMetrofan

ElMetrofan New Member

Jan 20, 1999
    SHAPE, Belgium
    I think I've heard it here before, and I'll say it again. I won't believe anything until there's a shovel in the ground.

15. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the deal is dead, then I say move the team to Rochester and keep the league alive. I'll watch via DirectKick. Staying at the Meadowlands is a sure death for the league. Maybe after such a move, NJ will move forward and we'll get another team. The status quo is untenable.

16. TAKK

TAKK New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Nick Da Dick

17. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really hope the deal is not dead and the Metro (and MLS) get the Harrison Stadium. As someone from outside I do find it interesting that any good news on the Harrison Stadium is automatically discounted while bad news is taken as gospel.

Lets get the facts.

Good luck...

18. 4Winds

4Winds New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Chattanooga
    How does someone from Chicago -- and a Fire fan -- think he knows so much about New Jersey's governor? Don't you have enough to do in Chicago?

19. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC

Personally, I find it more distressing that my federal taxes go to fund those backward Southern states that produce nothing, tax nothing, and procede to suck the North dry.

First things first. No way is the Xanadu project going to be derailed just like that. It's impossible. They've spent too much money, and have too many projections for it to not continue.

Secondly, the Codey quote is MUCH more damning than some peopel are makign it out to be. Look, the fact is HCIA has to approve it for us to get a Harrison stadium. This has been an issue for a LONG time right now, and people know which way others are leaning. That's the way Jersey politics work.

The only way to change it is if AEG sweetens the deal, OR, and I think more importantly, why don't we look at Newark. I know Newark died a while ago, but I bet if AEG drops a little more money into the stadium, we will have a sweet deal in Newark, preferably near Penn Station. Why not?

20. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The state development authority approved $200 million in bonds for Xanadu yesterday.
    If the Bears go under as has been predicted for the past couple of years, then we could potentially renovate Riverfront. But I think we'd have a lot of the same problems that the Bears have now; namely, convincing suburbanites to attend a game in downtown Newark on a Saturday night. Unless we had a NJPAC-style setup where people go from their cars to the underground parking garage to the venue, downtown Newark remains a hard sell.

21. slpcpa

slpcpa New Member

Mar 14, 2002
    Yorktown Heights, NY
    Last paragraph = EXCELLENT POINT. After four years of bull sh!t in NJ, AEG will get out of NJ as fast as he can. AEG will not build a SSS at the Meadowlands if they cannot control 100% of the parking, consessions, etc. Now, we are in the same boat as SJ. Very high operating costs, no SSS on the horizon, no potential new investor/operator and AEG patience is wearing very thin.

22. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "can I have directions?"

"fo'free? ******** yo momma."

won't stop me though. I mean if people can stand the Bronx, I doubt if Newark is much worse.

23. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    1) There is no state funding (read: no funding from a budget Codey even partially controls) for the Harrison project.

2) HCIA doesn't have to do anything Codey says.

3) If Codey has inside information on HCIA's plans, then this is bad news. Otherwise, it doesn't matter one bit.

4) If HCIA is actually screwing us, then Codey sounds like he'd endorse a Metros stadium at the Meadowlands. Even if he's not planning on helping the Metros fund it at all, that's a start toward another plan.

24. stinky

stinky Member

May 14, 2000
    Long Beach, NY
    the news we should all be waiting for is the news that'll come from AEG. if nick gets fired, the stadium deal is done and i'd venture to guess no Metros in jersey.

i assume aeg had a time table to get this sad franchise a new stadium and winning season. no way aeg will allow anyone other then aeg to control parking, concessions and events. no way.

if you go to newark, might as well go to queens at this point.

25. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    Still no word from METRO?????????????????????? What fuk'in kind of organization is this???? This dude takes the Sack out of Sakavich.. or whatever the fuk his name is.. TELL US WHAT IS GOING ON ALREADY, JESUS..