Harrison Deal Dead.

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Simon Birch, Nov 10, 2004.

1. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Nice of them to tell us. When did that happen?

2. budalabutt

budalabutt Red Card

Nov 4, 2004
    Chi-town
    Cody saying the deal is dead doesnt mean squat guys!! He is just saying that Harrison doesnt want to fund the deal. Lets see what Harrison has to say about it. If Harrison wants to fund it and does there isnt much that Codey can do about it. He is talking out of his ass its pretty apparent. He has no clue heis just coming to F -around. Its pretty obvious. he couldnt slap any type of deal together in a year and he knows it. This guy is a goodf ball and you Metros fans, the voters need to maintain pressure on Harrison county and write letters to your reps at the Harrison board as well as the governerors office stating that you voters dont appreciate him coming in here and screwing things up.

3. pokemoncards

pokemoncards New Member

Aug 17, 2003
    Wouldn't having a stadium right by the river lead to polution though?

4. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    AEG is negotiating with SJ and DC. Checketts with SLC/Murray. Paying 100% themselves is never a good precedent. That's one reason NFL/MLB don't have new stadiums in their largest markets. They need the threat of relocation on the smaller markets to get stadium deals but don't dare try that approach in NY/CHI/LA/SF/Boston.

5. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, this is the annoying thing: They've probably known this for months. The HCIA didn't trust the revenue numbers that Harrison / AEG put in front of them, so they contracted out with Deloitte about a year ago to conduct their own, independent feasibility study. That study likely said the deal sucked for the town and the county, and it was likely completed months ago.

For that reason alone, as I said on the MLS N&A thread on this debacle, Nick should be cooked in boiling oil and served to wild boars.

6. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Harrison dead?

Maybe him coming out with this statement" that Harison is dead deal " would put some fire and urgency to Harrison official to aprove the bonds and get it done if they serious about it.

So Cody says its dead, what does Harrison say, what do the Metrostars officals say ? ...i still don't get it why do the Giants need a new Stadium the thing is almost brand new 1976 wasn't it ? what wouldthey do with the present stadium, demolish it ?

This Cody guy is shooting into thousand directions, this is nuts.

7. stinky

stinky Member

May 14, 2000
    Long Beach, NY
    fixed your post.

8. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're sounding like the crazy Democrats who claimed that Bush "stole" Ohio last week. (And I voted for Kerry.)

You are correct that the state isn't involved. But the HCIA is -- the Town of Harrison cannot by law float its own bonds for this or any other public works project. Codey is saying that the HCIA will not float the bonds. They know the project is a money loser for the town and the county, and they are carrying out their fiduciary responsibility by refusing to grant AEG and Harrison this giveaway. Codey is just the messenger here, not the decision-maker. (He's acting silly on his ambitious multi-billion-dollar Meadowlands rebuild, but that's another story for another day.)

Either AEG pays for it outright, which I don't expect, or we're not building in Harrison. Simple as that.

9. stinky

stinky Member

May 14, 2000
    Long Beach, NY

you know...gameboy advance sp is perfectly fine. is there a need for the new nintendo ds.

new stadiums are the new must haves for cities.

10. pokemoncards

pokemoncards New Member

Aug 17, 2003
    ds will rock

and again, don't youthink that stadium by the river would lead to alot of pollution?

11. soccerfan

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    looser

12. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I know Nick doesn't like to post here, but it might be a good idea to stop packing up the leftover MPF paraphernalia and make a statement regarding Codey's comments in the paper.

13. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And people from other countries wonder how we got stuck with the Boy King for another four years... :rolleyes:

15. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    anything before 1990 is considered "old" by the current pro sports leagues. luxury boxes, club seating, etc have become a big difference in stadium construction since then. I can't think of a pro team with a stadium before 1990 that hasn't made some move to rebuild/threaten moving. Only the largest markets don't threaten moving, but they still want new stadiums.

16. soccerfan

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

right , except i don't see how a new stadium for the Giants will get them more people in the stands . We still talking NJSEA. And they said no ROOF, i would undestand if they tried to get the supperbowl but with no roof it will never happen.

and people from other countries can go screw themselves

17. Revs007

Revs007 Member

Nov 11, 2000
    Boston
    If it was this big money loser like you said, why did the team and AEG spend so much time and money in pursuing this dead end option!

I think it's time for Nick S and the rest of the Metro execs to be frank with us and tell us what is really going on. This is ****************!

As an MLS fan, I am devastated!

18. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember that press conference in July where the mayor of Harrison said he was still behind the development, but there wasn't any news on financing to report? My guess is that they knew then. They continued to push it because they wanted the county to ignore the facts and do the politically popular thing. If Codey's right, the HCIA is just sticking by the facts.

19. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now, I am not the most knowledgeable person on NJ politics, so this Codey guy may have the pull to swing this thing, but my reading of the article goes soething like this;

Codey wants Meadowlands re-built
    Codey considers the Harrison deal dead
    Codey wants tenant teams to pay for it

Nobody from tenant teams have indicated a willingness to go along yet

Nobody representing Harrison, Hudson County, or AEG has said anything about the deal being off

Sounds to me like Codey is just throwing this plan out there as if it is a done deal and hoping everyone falls in line without asking questions. And I've got to assume that with the Giants, Jets, and Metros having planned to leave, they've invested a lot of money in arranging/examining alternatives...and you don't get to just say, "uh, guys, we'll take you back and it will only cost y'all $850 million."

20. stinky

stinky Member

May 14, 2000
    Long Beach, NY
    good point uniteo.

if codey wants teams to pay for it, how is that different then aeg coughing up the cash for harrison without the bonds.

only difference, is aeg will have a lot less control and more red tape in the meadowlands.

everything i blow up in halo 2 tonight will be named codey.

21. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think AEG will go along with Xanadu at all, but at issue here is Codey saying that the HArrison deal is dead, which makes an awful lot of sense.

Besides - who do you believe - A slimeball politician, or Nick S?

In a perverse way I really hope this turns out to be true so AEG will be force to take a very hard look at the franchise and do something about it.

22. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Harrison has better access via PATH. Also, the riders don't have to give the motorman directions, unlike NJTransit bus drivers (although the last lot have been pretty good at getting where we want to go).

What a friggin' mess -- still, It's hard to believe this caretaker Gov. can open his mouth and blow away the Harrison project. The stadium is only part of the deal there, albeit a large part.

What about Aqueduct? Can that be a possibility? Not as convenient for the Jersey fans, true, but a stadium of our own is better being stuck in GS -- new or old.

We will definitely be in the Swamp next season -- Harrison wasn't due to be ready till '06 at the earliest anyway -- but MLS has to quit the place asap. It's just too, damned expensive; it's a drag on the league.

Move Metro? If I have to watch them on TV out of Houston, so be it.

23. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    I think this is a good read of the situation. Assuming that Hudson County has changed their minds may be pessimistic at this point. Also, Codey's "plan" is to get the teams to pay for it themselves.

Um, Dick, if the teams are going to have to pay for the Meadowlands upgrade themselves - THEN WHY THE F*** WOULD THEY WANT TO DO THAT INSTEAD OF West Side Stadium (Jets), Newark (Devils), Brooklyn (Nets), or Harrison (Metros)?

He's pitching an $850 million plan and wanting the Giants to pick up most of the tab. Um ... thanks, Dick.

24. Revs007

Revs007 Member

Nov 11, 2000
    Boston
    Can any Metros fan get a Rep on the horn to confirm all this?

The Metros need to comment on this ASAP.

C'mon Nick S., your whole existance in MLS and the Metros has been predicated on this stadium deal, and after this BOMBSHELL we need you to be available for comment. We need you to clear the air and assure us that the past three years has not been a waste of time, money and patience!

If the deal is/was dead, when were the Metros going to let us know about it? Has their even been a vote yet?

WTF is going on!!! :eek:

25. Jay Goppingen

Jay Goppingen Member

Aug 8, 2003
    Teh internets
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Also I think the lack of comment from MFO and Harrison is telling... Unless the Star Ledger tried reaching them after business hours, they definitely would have refuted Codey's claims.