Harrisburg's Sheanon Williams on trial w/NYRB

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by KareemSoda, Aug 19, 2010.

1. KareemSoda

KareemSoda Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Not in NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Harrisburg City Islanders forward Sheanon Williams is training with MLS club New York Red Bull.

The 20-year old will use the end of the United Soccer League club’s season to try his luck with the top flight outfit.

Williams has a recent history against New York, playing against them in a US Open Cup match with the Islanders and facing them in pre-season with Miami FC.

pennlive.com confirmed that Williams was training with the Red Bulls but any further details, such as if the club are seriously looking at signing him, are unknown.

http://www.tribalfootball.com/harrisburg’s-williams-trial-new-york-red-bull-1055081

2. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I read about this in one of the local soccer blogs (NY Post, i think.) Funny, I read about it on the last day of his "trial".

Sounds like Backe and Soler were just checking him out for future possibilities. Which is good. I hope those two keep bringing in hungry, young talent to practices. It sends a message that they are always looking to improve, and the current roster hears that message (and hopefully they continue to improve.) :D

3. dmeluzio22

dmeluzio22 Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Red Bulls liked him enough to extend his trial period for an additional week.

4. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I wish we still had US Cup games to try these players out in.

5. dmeluzio22

dmeluzio22 Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Is that the "Boom Goes The Dynamite" guy doing the highlights in that sportscast?

7. dmeluzio22

dmeluzio22 Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. jcr3

jcr3 Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can only imagine that if the Red Bulls like him and it appears they do that they are looking to trade Jeremy Hall and see what they can get for him. This player would be a back up to Chris Albright and would make Hall expendable. I think Hall is still on the roster because of his ability to play right back in addition to midfield. I believe Hall still has to have some decent value for a team like the Revs or KC. The Red Bulls probably would look for allocation money so they can sign some player for the attacking midfield role or maybe to pay Angel a sub-DP salary next year with some allocation money on top of that, let go or trade Salou, etc. so they can go after a different DP next July.

9. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    has played right back for USA U-20. Curious as to where RBNY is thinking about putting him.

10. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I think you're right about him making Hall expendable.

They are very similar prospects and as youth and collegeiate players Williams was more highly regarded than Hall. Williams just misplayed his hand in trying to get a Euro deal, blew his eligibility and couldn't return to school and then got stucking toiling in the minors.

Had he signed a GA deal with MLS after his freshman year he'd have been in the same draft that Hall went in and likely would have gone higher.

I say this not to bash Hall. I actually like him as a player and think his best soccer is ahead of him. He just needs a situation where he can settle on one position - ideally in the midfield - and concentrate on mastering it and getting some regular PT.

And I don't think that's in the cards for him in NY so a trade is likely a win-win.

11. dmeluzio22

dmeluzio22 Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I understand New York passed on him and did not sign him. I believe he is no longer training with them.

12. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    It's possible they are just thinking ahead and might want to sign him after the expansion draft.

Never hurts to take a look at guys either way. Probably has the other dudes running a bit harder in practice.

13. hoboken16

hoboken16 Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ USA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He Signed with Philly

14. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007