Harrisburg, PA in PSL

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by monster, Sep 24, 2003.

1. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: New Press Release: WINK 104 is team's "Official Morning Radio Show"

In news related to the WINK 104 agreement, Bruce Bond will be selling hot dogs at the concession stand after he got fired from yet another radio station. :D

2. Flying Weasel

Flying Weasel Member

Mar 22, 2001
    Harrisburg, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feb/Mar Schedule

3. Flying Weasel

Flying Weasel Member

Mar 22, 2001
    Harrisburg, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New Press Release: 4th Annual Beach Bash

New Press Release at http://www.cityislanders.com/press_box.aspx#9

4. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking forward to the season.

The WINK deal is a good one I think and hopefully they do a decent job of promoting the team. John Wilsbach has done the Heat games for years, so he will be supportive.

My sister's boyfriend made it through the first couple of tryouts. Not sure how he made out yesterday in Lancaster. He is a senior forward from York College, not sure what position he is trying out for though.

Any progress on an Official Bar of the team?

5. RodC

RodC New Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Few Questions about Harrisburg.

Hi guys,

I would like to know if there are flights from Miami or New York to Harrisburg.
    Also, how much is the average hotel rate?
    How many trialist do you think will attend the City Islanders tryouts? I wonder if they will manage to make a competitive team.

Thank you!

6. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Few Questions about Harrisburg.

Southwest is starting service from Philly soon as well.

Hotel rates are reasonable. Easy should be able to find something around $60 a night.

As far as the team goes. From what I know, its mostly local products, which IMO means the team will be pretty competitive. They have already had a bunch of tryouts, but how many of those players they ultimately keep,whoi knows.

Every year there are quite a few Div 1 players produced by the high schools and even more Div II and III players.

Cumberland Valley is always one of the best teams in the state. Middletown won states 2 or 3 years ago.

As the team becomes more established, I think they could make the jump to A-league from a talent perspective, just on local talent alone. But I may be biased.

8. Menno-soccer-man

Menno-soccer-man New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Flights to Hburg

Go to flyhia.com There are direct flights from Orlando and there are lots of ways to get here from NYC. Train is about $70 and Bus is cheaper than that. If you fly,, you will probably go through Philly.

9. RodC

RodC New Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Thank you monster, dcc134 and Menno-Soccer-Man.

Very valuable info.

10. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
  11. Flying Weasel

Flying Weasel Member

Mar 22, 2001
    Harrisburg, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the heads up, Hax.

12. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    No problem. I don't know yet where exactly the game will be played. The Nittany Lions play their games at Jeffrey Field though sometimes their spring games are on the practice fields or at local high schools. I'll post more info as it's released. I will definitely be there as I am excited to see PSU alum Potteiger suit up for Harrisburg. I am a little shocked he's left the A-League outright, he's a very good player, but with Pittsburgh and Hershey folding or moving down to the PSL, I guess there's not many places for a Pennsylvanian to go. Am also looking forward to the May 8 opener, I will definitely have to head down from State College for that one!

13. May 8.....right smack dab in the middle of finals. The one game Ill miss. Anyone know anything about the seating setup? Im not coming abck to Harrisburg til next week and curious as to if they put up anymore stands lately.

14. Flying Weasel

Flying Weasel Member

Mar 22, 2001
    Harrisburg, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I stopped by the Island last weekend and absolutely nothing had been done yet to Skyline Sports Complex. Granted, for most of the past 3 months it's been snow covered and frozen, so I didn't expect anything. But they don't have much time now; they'll have 2 months to get things ready. I'm curious what all they will attempt to do to the facility in the short time they'll have before the home opener. I don't expect much change at all with the bleachers. There's 8 sets of bleachers that seat maybe 180 each (just guessing) for a capacity of 1440. That would seem to be plenty to start with as a PSL team. But hopefully we outgrow that (I think that's certainly possible if they can properly tap into the H.S., club, and college soccer fans in the area). BUT I'm wondering more about three things: (1) how will they fence off the facility to control admittance (and paying for admittance), (2) what, if any, improvements to the field (grass) will be done for this year, most importantly will the softball infield be replaced with grass, and (3) where and what will the Paradise Club be.

15. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
    I know that attendance has been discussed here before, but I will be disappointed if they can't draw at least 3,000 for the first game against Pittsburgh.

16. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well with the new jingle I've been hearing on 1460 the Ticket, I can't see how they can possibly get less that 6,000. :).

Seriously, it would be great if they got 3,000, but I'm certainly not counting on it. I think it is going to a take a little bit of time to build the fan base.

17. They fence it off with orange temp fencing for HS games and post police at the entrance. The fields not bad outside of the softball infield. The paradise club. No clue. But my guess is if they want it up and running it'll have to be started mad soon. Id think attendance would be around 1500 a game. Thats generous if you say each set of bleachers seat 180. I wouldnt go that far. Maybe 80-100. But I havent been there for a few yrs.

18. RodC

RodC New Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Flying Weasel,

I sent you a private message 3 days ago, would you mind to let me know if you received it?

Thank you.

19. Flying Weasel

Flying Weasel Member

Mar 22, 2001
    Harrisburg, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I stopped by City Island on the way home from work today. It's now 2 months until the home opener. So far nothing has been done at Skyline Complex except that the grass has been mowed in the past week.

I took a closer look at the field dimensions and the bleachers this time.

The Field:
    Width = 14 + 18 + 8 + 18 + 14 = 72 yards
    Length = 18 + 37 + 37 + 18 = 110 yards
    I walked these off verifying my stride against the existing goal, 6-yard box, and 18-yard box. So I should have the width very close. The length may be off a little--I paced it as 37 yards form 18-box to midfield line. So it's well within the general FIFA regulations, and slightly exceeds the FIFA's minimum size for international matches (length must be between 110 and 120 yards, and the width between 70 and 80 yards).

Bleachers:
    There are 10 sets of bleachers (I incorrectly said 8 last time). 4 sets are behind the north goal; 6 sets along the west sideline. All are the same 10-row elevated aluminum bleachers with a center aisle with 15+ ft. of seating on both sides. The industry standard width per person is 18" (1.5 ft.), so the capacity of each set of bleachers is (10 rows)(2 x 15 ft.)/1.5 ft = 200. With 10 sets of bleachers, the complex has a total seating capacity of 2,000. I think that's a good start for PSL, especially as there's plenty of standing room for overflow is needed.

As far as expanding capacity, the simplest way would be to add 2 more sets of bleachers to the west sideline towards the south end. That would bring capacity to 2,400. After that they would have to look at installing bleachers on the embankment along the east sideline. This could add 1,500 more which would bring you close to 4,000 total.

20. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
    You didn't happen to take along your digital camera..? ;)

21. Flying Weasel

Flying Weasel Member

Mar 22, 2001
    Harrisburg, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I keep meaning to buy one of those. Guess I'm just too tight with my money!

22. Flying Weasel

Flying Weasel Member

Mar 22, 2001
    Harrisburg, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3/10/04 Press Release: City Islanders Sign Pete Shellenberger

3/10/04 Press Realease: http://www.cityislanders.com/press_box.aspx#10

23. Flying Weasel

Flying Weasel Member

Mar 22, 2001
    Harrisburg, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3/11/04 Press Release: Islanders Schedule Six Preseason Games

3/11/04 Press Release: http://www.cityislanders.com/press_box.aspx#11

24. Flying Weasel

Flying Weasel Member

Mar 22, 2001
    Harrisburg, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3/11/04 Press Release: Islanders Open Training Camp on March 15

3/11/04 Press Release: http://www.cityislanders.com/press_box.aspx#12

25. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Islander gingle

If you go to the club's home page it should kick of an audio track. It's a little gingle that could be commercial spot on the radio. I don't think it's longer then 30 seconds. It's kind of corny, but one of those songs that you can remember. It made me chuckle.