Harrisburg, PA in PSL

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by monster, Sep 24, 2003.

1. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Middletown was a Hbg. suburb. They never called our Riverhounds the Bethel Park Riverhounds. Shouldn't matter. Teams are generally named for regions, not individual Municipalities.

lol at "Isotopes". That is in fact Albuquerque's baseball team. (Not encouraging a change, though). :D

2. Flying Weasel

Flying Weasel Member

Mar 22, 2001
    Harrisburg, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Suburb isn't quite accurate, but Middletown is part of the greater Harrisburg area.

So they dropped the name "Dukes" when the LA Dodgers moved their AAA affiliation to Las Vegas? I always liked the name Alburquerque Dukes. But niether am I suggesting that as a name!

3. Ahh not to nitpick, but Id definately call it a suburb. Somewhere like Lebanon or Carlisle, arent suburbs per say...but are in the Metropolitan Area. I suppose you could alomost even make an argument that Lancaster is a suburb of Harrisburg in certain ways (many commute from the less expensive northern reaches of Lancaster to harrisburg everyday for work). but I wouldnt go that far.

Youre totally spot on bout the bleachers though. theyre MAD close. I juts wish there was a way they could set up some stands on the hill and put even a small roof over em. Itd fit maybe liek 2,000 people. Maybe take like 6 months to build. And Id liek the field to be surrounded with em too. Instead theyre just on 2 sides. The ones behind the North goal are kind of obstructed by the football uprights. The bleachers have no backs, but im just nitpicking.

4. Nacional Tijuana

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kinda what I meant. Darned semantics! :)

I'm sorry to hear that you'll be playing at a baseball field. I've never attended a USL match at a baseball field, but I've been to RFK for a WUSA match and it really screwed everything up. I hated being so far from the pitch.

Oh well. I'm just glad you all have a team now.

5. Flying Weasel

Flying Weasel Member

Mar 22, 2001
    Harrisburg, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. I guess we natives from central PA don't use the term suburbs much for places around here and to us Middletown is it's own town. In fact Middletown actually dates back further than Harrisburg not to mention that depending which way you drive you pass corn fields between Harrisburg and Middletown. So it just sounds odd to refer to it as a suburb. So yeah, . . . semantics . . . and local usage versus general terminology!
    Well, actually they will be playing on a field for football and soccer. It does currently have a softball infield in the one corner for rec-leagues, but I've got to assume that will be gotten rid of now. If you look at the photo below, the baseball stadium for the AA Harrisburg Sentors is the field to the right, and the rectangular field to the left (with the softball diamond in the upper left corner) is where the soccer team will play. The spectators will be very close to the action as there's no room to have it any other way. In fact, I'm kind of curious what the width of the field is. If you look closely you can see the series of bleachers along the bottom and left side of the field.

[​IMG]

6. Nacional Tijuana

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, whoops! Thanks for the clarification. Much better!!!

7. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regarding supporters club, how about The Castaways? Our area could be The Lagoon.

[​IMG]

If people are really interested, contact me off the boards. I think it would give the team great publicity if some of the media found out there was a supporter's club for a team that doesn't have any players yet. :D

8. TheMutts

TheMutts New Member

May 19, 2002
    Pittsburgh
    AWESOME NEWS!!!!

and trust me Pittsburgh-Harrisburgh will be a big rivarly and we will probably make some trips down there.

About the supporters group- If anyone wants any suggestions/help ask me, I think you guys already have 5-6 commited members in a couple days. It took us 3-4 years to get 5 members. Supporters groups definitly add to the atmosphere, make it more of a rivarly, and are a lot more fun when we can sing louder than the home fans :)

good luck I really hope this team works out, so PIttsburgh can have a couple easy wins

9. houndguy

houndguy New Member

Sep 5, 2001
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    a short story

Off topic - but my nickname is college was "Gilligan"

I think the Castaways would be a great name. A bunch of lost souls following a losing team!

Ah - the first smack talk of the season! Let the interstate rivarly begin!

10. meertang

meertang New Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA
    About time some Hounds sounded in on the situation. Looking forward to "renewing" a rivalry with Pittsburgh.

Do any Riverhounds fans predict a dropoff in average attendance now that the team has dropped to the PSL?

11. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm thinking of starting a Yahoo group or something like that to start planning for a supporters group. Feedback?

12. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When the CT Wolves dropped from A-League to D3 attendance went up 400 a game to over 2,200 and they spent less money on advertising.

13. Nacional Tijuana

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sdddcfdd

I concur with what panic alluded to. Division doesn't necessarily matter. With moving out of Bethel Park stadium, we might pick up some new fans for which the Hounds were previously inaccesible. Or maybe not; maybe our figures will drop to the PSL average due to the disenchantment with the front office that has been voiced. It is so hard to say. Either direction, I don't expect the change to be much. But that's just a wild guess.

14. meertang

meertang New Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA
    What are Hounds ticket prices like and is it all General Admission or are there sections?

15. TheMutts

TheMutts New Member

May 19, 2002
    Pittsburgh
    There are bleachers on the both sides. the Press box side is 16 dollars i believe while the other side, where we sit, is 7 for kids and 11 for adults.

16. Flying Weasel

Flying Weasel Member

Mar 22, 2001
    Harrisburg, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if those prices will stand pat or will they be reduced some since it will be PSL soccer instead of A-League soccer.

17. meertang

meertang New Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA
    Seems a bit steep for a PSL game. I can't remember if Reading tickets were $5 or $10.

Harrisburg tickets better not top the $10 mark or else I think they will price themselves out of the market.

18. Chris_Bailey

Chris_Bailey Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    No *#*#*#*#, I pay 10 bucks a game to see the Crew.

19. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there any soccer team in Philadelphia?

20. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
    Yeah...count me in. I plan on getting season tickets.

21. meertang

meertang New Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA
    I wonder if this team could actually outdraw the Senators in average attendence? I think it seems already a given that they'll outdraw the CP Piranha who average about 500-700 a game.

22. I think the Senators average more then 2,200 (capacity of Skyline Stadium). It'd be dependent on how many tickets the front office will cap sales at IMO.

23. Mr. Knowledge

Mr. Knowledge New Member

May 10, 2001
    Baltimore
    Philadelphia Kixx (MISL)

24. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
    So what is the best bar within walking distance to grab a few brews at before the game? Zembies? or the Irish bar...can't think of the name. Also, good news, I found another soccer fan today...my boss said that he'll definitely catch a few City Islander games next year.

25. Even though I am not of legal age to drink......there are too many bars to name within walking distance, both on the east shore and west shore. Ive always heard the G-Man on the West Shore is nice.