Harrisburg, PA in PSL

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by monster, Sep 24, 2003.

1. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what does the PSL look like for 2004 now?

3. houndguy

houndguy New Member

Sep 5, 2001
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    That means teams in Pittsburgh, Reading, and Hershy.

4. meertang

meertang New Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA
    This if freakin awesome!!!

Count me in for lifetime season tickets.

5. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
  6. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be great it they put Pittsburgh, Harrisburg and Reading in the same division. It would be hard to figure putting them inanother. Unless they put all three with NoVa, Charlotte and Wilmington. From what I remember about Skyline Park they need to put in some more stands, locker rooms and some type of fense/barrier around the area (it was all pretty much open to walk into). But other then that they were pretty much set to have games. Now you will know if the team has arrived if they can get Zembies to start naming sandwhiches after the players.

7. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The new Harrisburg team should really try to scrimmage with Penn State men's team near the end of the summer. That would be great for both teams.

PS I am Penn Stater myself!

8. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, e-stone. Are you with the group or was that just a good catch?

This is awesome. I was never able to get up to see the Wildcats for a variety of reasons. But now with a kid asking me to take her to soccer games, this will work out perfectly.

9. elephantstone

elephantstone Member

Feb 12, 2001
    Harrisburg, PA
    I'm with the company doing their PR work. I was at the press conference today, talked with the owner, etc. They're pretty committed to doing this the right way and have a good forward-looking plan for renovating the stadium, getting youth programs involved, etc. It's pretty exciting.

10. pasoccerfan

pasoccerfan Member

Mar 7, 2002
    Hershey, PA
    Good to see

I moved to West Hanover (just north of Hershey) just before the Wildcats went under. My wife was going to buy me season tickets for them as a Christmas gift, but that fell through.

I'm looking forward to this! It'll be good to meet some other soccer fans from this area as well. I love FSW, but it'll be great to catch some live games.

11. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
    Whohoo...my first BS post! This is awesome. I was very disappointed when the Wildcats went under. My dream now is to see the City Islanders vs. MLS in the Open Cup. Anyone know how they go about selecting players for a PSL team? I remember hearing about people I knew locally who tried out for the Wildcats when they were starting up.

12. meertang

meertang New Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA
    I too was about to buy season tickets when the Wildcats folded. I was never very interested in the Heat but have attended Reading Rage and DC United games in the past.

I am overjoyed at this news and can't wait to start up my supporter web page!

13. Redcard

Redcard New Member

Nov 16, 1999
    awesome baby!!!!!!

14. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well maybe the PSL (dumb name) will continue to be strong in the Eastern US.

Great stuff going on in PA.

(elephantstone - Stone Roses fan?)

15. Flying Weasel

Flying Weasel Member

Mar 22, 2001
    Harrisburg, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, this is great news . . . if they do things right. I am excited, but cautiously. I love soccer, miss the Wildcats, and have been hoping for this ever since. But I guess I'm a little concerned when see that people from the folded Harrisburg Heat (MISL) are going to be running things. I know there were some things beyond the Heat's control that played a role in their demise, but it doesn't inspire confidence when the new team's general manager was the Heat's director of sales and marketing. Wasn't it a lack of attendance (i.e. failed sales and marketing) that doomed the Heat? So, I'm concerned, knowing the last thing soccer needs is another failed organization even if it does mean I get to see pro soccer for a couple seasons. But I truly hope that's not the case, and as long as I'm around the area, I'll be there every game. City Island is a great location for a team and I know this area can support a Pro Select team or A-Legaue team if things are done right.

16. Flying Weasel

Flying Weasel Member

Mar 22, 2001
    Harrisburg, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anybody know much about the new coach Bill Becher? From the newspaper article it seems he's never coached above the high school level. If true, to me that makes him a bit of an unknown quantity at this level. Seems to me you'd want someone with at least experience working with college level players. But I don't know anything about the guy, so I can't comment one way or another on his selection. I just hope they got the kind of guy that can be get the job done, and didn't merely hire one of their friends.

I know I'm coming off a bit negative, despite the great news, and I guess I wish I didn't feel so skeptical. But after the Hershey Wildcats folded despite being very successful on the field and doing better in attendance than 2/3's of the A-League, and after the Harrisburg Heat folded with paltry attendances just a few years after drawing great crowds, and after seeing how poorly the local recreational indoor soccer facility is run, and after a new recreational soccer facility with enclosed small-side FieldTurf/NexTurf fields closed shop just one year after opening, . . . well, . . . it's hard to not to be concerned. But I will do me part and go to every game and talk it up and encourage everyone else to go.

17. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me get this straight, the team is called Harrisburg City Islanders?
    And that is because they play in the City Island park?

weird name for PA soccer team.
    Oh well as long as its soccer.

18. elephantstone

elephantstone Member

Feb 12, 2001
    Harrisburg, PA
    City Island:

[​IMG]

The Islanders will play at Skyline Stadium (+ renovations), located on the North (left) side of the island.

19. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I remember I think Becher was one of the assistants for Lilley at Hershey. And don't forget before that job, Bob Lilley didn't really have any experience as a coach. Maybe some youth coaching, but nothing really above that level.

I can understand your thoughts about the gm. But my view is that at least he has some experience with a pro franchise. Also he brings contacts and relationships with the business/soccer communities to the table. And at the very least, he has a pretty good idea about what doesn't work. I think you can learn just as much if not more from failing then from success.

20. patrickdavila

patrickdavila Member

Jan 13, 1999
    Easton, PA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good luck to the new Harrisburg team! As a former Staten Island resident I was sad to see the Vipers fold. There was also the Hershey Wildcats and the Lehigh Valley Steam to bite the dust. Hopefully this new team does well. It seems PDL clubs have smaller aspirations than some of these A-league teams.

21. meertang

meertang New Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA
    I imagine that operating costs from home games at City Island will be significantly less than those at the Farm Smell...er Show Arena or HersheyPark Stadium which seats 16,000 or so.

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/patr...tandard.xsl?/base/sports/1064482387206860.xml

Talks of expansion and renovation to the Skyline Sports Complex have been around for years. Glad to read that there are now definate plans. It's a nice enough field and perfect for a PSL team, but if Mr. Pettis considers A-League promotion in 3 years, at least 2,500-3,500 seats should be added.

Currently there are bleacher sections that run the length of the far side of the field as well as 2 large bleacher sections in one "end zone". There is also a large "boardwalk" at the other end zone but no seats. The scoreboard is archaic and to my knowledge there is only one set of locker rooms.

Parking should be cheap as the usual price is only $2 for Senators and Piranha games. City Island is really a nice place with a decent beachfront and a family-friendly atmosphere.

22. Flying Weasel

Flying Weasel Member

Mar 22, 2001
    Harrisburg, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did think of Bob Lilley and wondered what experience he had. He pretty much went straight from playing pro indoor soccer with Hershey Impact & Harrisburg Heat to coaching the Hershey Wildcats I guess. I couldn't remember how much time there was between the two and what he was doing. But he's certainly done well--one of the best in the A-League, nevermind that Rochester still got his number--Hershey or Montreal, makes no difference, he just can't get over that hump.

If Becher was an assist with Lilley, that is good expereince and preparation for this job.

23. Flying Weasel

Flying Weasel Member

Mar 22, 2001
    Harrisburg, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's no doubt that running a PSL team on City Island has some advantages over trying to run an indoor team in the Farm Show Bldg.

It will be interesting to see how they fence off the field now and obstruct the view of non-paying customers. I'll be curious to see how the facility will be changed/improved to host a pro soccer team. It will be quite a change in some ways for the general public because that field was free access and anyone could go there a play whatever (toss football, throw frisbee, pick-up soccer, etc)as long as it didn't get too organized. I helped organize pick-up soccer there a couple years ago and when the park rangers noticed us there on a regular basis they told us we needed to get apply for a permit, etc., etc. But that's getting off topic.

I can envision a nice intimate stadium that could work for PSL or A-League. But I'm sure my visions are too unrealistic, but the facility has a lot of potential for sure.

24. Flying Weasel

Flying Weasel Member

Mar 22, 2001
    Harrisburg, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe you can clarify elephantstone. Is the team name "Harrisburg City Islanders" or just "City Islanders" ?