Harrisburg City Islanders Thread

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by totalfootball9, Feb 28, 2007.

1. That email response from the front office is great. Im curious as to find out the time table on stadium expansion/renovation and a possible move to the USL-1. I played at Skyline as it was the home field for my high school (Bishop McDevitt) and it is a mess when it rains. Supposedly they cannot remove the baseball diamond due to something with it being a city park. Or at least thats what I was told was the reason when it was brought up to the city as its basically a venue for soccer and minor league football.

Also, any idea on a supporters group? I know theyre a 3rd division team but to have some sort of organized fan base could do a lot for a small organization like the Isles.

2. totalfootball9

Feb 27, 2007
    Central PA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yea I was surprised with the response of the email from the front office, very detailed and timely!

I'm not sure about a supporters group to be honest. I know they have something called "Socceritaville", its a club seating choice which is sold out. But other than that, I'm not sure of anything else.

3. dmeluzio22

dmeluzio22 Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYI- Here is the link to my blog about the Harrisburg City Islanders and other "area" soccer. It is through pennlive.com which is the local online newspaper for the area around Harrisburg. My blog has some info, pics, youtube clips, and links to related sites.

http://blog.pennlive.com/upper90/

You can also read the newspaper articles about the team at:

http://www.pennlive.com/cityislanders/

They played Penn State saturday in game 1 of the mini tourney and won 1-0. Nelson, the newly signe dkeeper was in net. Brian Ombiji scored. They then lost 0-1 to Towson and fielded a different roster of players that are solid but seemed to not be as used to each other as game 1. The home opener is saturday.

I also have gotten great help and responses from the office staff while starting the blog. They did sign Matt Nelson who was previously with Kilkinny of the Irish Premier League and the USL First Division.

Hope this helps, -Derek

4. dmeluzio22

dmeluzio22 Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the blog and extra pictures and info. From looking at the links on your blog, I'm guessing your a E-Town alum. Not sure how you didn't have a link to the best D3 school in the country on your list. :D

Also, since the team is going into season 4 and seem to be fairly stable, what's the chance that they city upgrade the facility and field?

6. colgate13

colgate13 Member

Feb 24, 2007
    The city of Harrisburg is basically bankrupt. If they had any money to spend on sports facilities, it would probably go to the baseball stadium. They have been actively trying to upgrade that for at least three years.

7. dmeluzio22

dmeluzio22 Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

8. dmeluzio22

dmeluzio22 Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    McClellan is from Messiah and he was just plain unreal when he was there!

9. phbair

phbair New Member

Apr 25, 2007
    HARRISBURG, PA, USA
    The baseball team--the Harrisburg Senators, AA farm team for DC Nationals--is also on the block, sale rumored to be completed this summer. Commerce Bank bought naming rights last year, though, and may be some additional $$$ there.

10. IceFunk

IceFunk Member

Oct 22, 2005
    Beaverton, Oregon
    City Islanders Academy Ready For 2007
    Whatever It Takes attitude trickles from USL Second Division

[​IMG]

Harrisburg, PA – With the bulk of their Super Y-League teams yet to take to the pitch, the City Islanders Academy Super Y-League Season got off to a tremendous start as all Academy players were recognized at the United Soccer Leagues Second Division Harrisburg City Islanders home opener on April 21st.

http://www.uslsoccer.com/home/179975.html

11. phbair

phbair New Member

Apr 25, 2007
    HARRISBURG, PA, USA
    BERMUDA - HCI off to its first success in Bermuda, winning its first "international" match 1-0 thanks to "loaner" Chad Sever's score. HCI plays the Hogges again this afternoon. Good luck, mates! :D

12. cobi13

cobi13 Member

Aug 16, 2004
    NY
    I have to say - Many props to Harrisburg on the kits! Love the colors. I got out there to see a Harrisburgh Heat game a few years back (sadly gone). How do the City Islanders draw?

13. phbair

phbair New Member

Apr 25, 2007
    HARRISBURG, PA, USA
    Sellout (about 2800) in the only home game this season. Three (?) sellouts last season. Hoping for better this year!

14. wolf2018

wolf2018 New Member

Dec 7, 2006
    you should come back to Harrisburg and see how much the city has changed since then... the island is great for soccer and then you walk over to downtown and have some food and drinks... never have to move your car... what more can you ask for...

15. cobi13

cobi13 Member

Aug 16, 2004
    NY
    Wow, call me stupid, but I never actually knew why you were called the "City Islanders - now I see. My hotel wasn't in Harrisburg or anything, so I never explored the city. The concept of a stadium sitting out on an island sounds pretty awesome though - kind of like a tropical feel, which all makes sense now. I am going to have to give props on the name then too, it makes sense.

(No dummy smacks please)

16. dmeluzio22

dmeluzio22 Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really like going to games on City Island. Very kid friendly (the train ride, batting cages, etc.) It is also a smaller venue but when it is full it has a neat feel to it. The bring your own chair/blanket hill gets filled up and their are bleachers behind the one goal, along the sideline, and a deck behind the other goal where you can watch the game while grabbing a beer.

When it gets dark you have the lit up Harrisburg city skyline behind the field.

I will be there saturday for the battle of the undefeated's. Plus they will have their special "pink" jerseys on that will be auctioned off to raise money for Breast Cancer Research.

17. dmeluzio22

dmeluzio22 Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Harrisburg won a wild one against a very good Charlotte Eagles club. I will have a report with details monday morning but for now youtube clips and photos are posted on my blog:
    http://blog.pennlive.com/upper90/

18. phbair

phbair New Member

Apr 25, 2007
    HARRISBURG, PA, USA
    Amen! What a ripping good game! Can't ask for more excitement than a winning goal in stoppage, eh?

Too bad it was missed by all of the early departees. What is it with Harrisburg anyway, that no matter what the event, from soccer to the symphony, there are always people who have to leave before the end? Is there a prize for first out of the parking lot?

19. phbair

phbair New Member

Apr 25, 2007
    HARRISBURG, PA, USA
    Another shutout pitched at the HCI! (HCI 0, Western Mass 0) Thankfully, Tim Velten and Ryan Pierce anchored a stout Islanders defense, or the team would be looking at another 0'fer the weekend. :cool:

In 11 years of coaching, I bored more people than I care to remember with my constant refrain, "Striker is the hardest position to fill on a soccer team. Good strikers are born, not made." How in the world could the Islanders have gone into the season without a quality natural striker?? Every decent opportunity last night was from a midfielder. Sure, Brian Ombiji was benched, but the team had scoring problems even when he was playing.

Until the Islanders muster a serious scoring threat from the front line, opponents will continue to do just what the Pioneers did last night - tuck back defensively and play counter-attacking football against desperate-to-score mids playing too far forward. Until the Islanders' front line start scoring, I hope the defense can keep getting the point. :confused: