Haredi man stabs three at Jerusalem Gay Pride Parade

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by BenReilly, Jun 30, 2005.

1. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull&cid=1120098357408

2. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    Good for Jerusalem. Hopefully the idiot charging into the crowd makes the anti-parade folks do a little self-examination.

Next year, same place, but with the Mayor's support. ;)

3. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, I doubt it.

I'm not sure I understand your comment. I'm guessing that the mayor was opposed because of concern that just this type of thing would happen and he felt that security coud not be provided. Just guessing, though.

4. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh, I thought the protesters were all tied up trying to sabotage the pull out of the Gaza Strip to attack the parade, guess I am wrong.

5. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't pretend to be an expert on Israel--so any of you here who know more than me, feel more than free to correct me--but my impression is that Israel has a huge amount of pent-up tension between the secular and ultra-religious elements in their society; a tension which has been submerged under the common threat first from outside Arab states and then from terrorism in the Occupied Territories. I've read somebody (can't remember who) who believes that, once some sort of lasting peace is established, this will be the big crisis in Israel.

I realize this wasn't an entirely isolated incident, but how much more of this kind of thing could one expect if all hell broke loose?

6. odessit19

odessit19 Member+

Dec 19, 2004
    My gun safe
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    I say take care of the enemy first (the one who wants to wipe your nation off this planet), then worry about secular and religious ideas of homosexuality and "western" way of life. Somehow I think both the secular and the religious will get along better when they know they don't have to worry about seeing another day

7. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    The Ayatollahs in Israel already have 10 times as much power in Israel as evangelicals have in the USA. Given the demographic trends (ultra-Orthodox have 6-8 children, secular Jews have around 2), things will only get worse.

Heh. That's like wondering what will happen to accountants once the tax code gets simplified.

8. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    I was wondering the same thing. :)

Sorry to see this and things like it happen.

9. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd read that too. Doesn't sound good.

;)

Seriously, I hope you're wrong. I have a little hope that, at the very least, the old status quo 'standoff' has been broken. Some good may yet come of it.