Hardest/Easiest World Cup Route

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Spectreman, Jun 30, 2005.

1. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on that. To me having a "different" method equates with it being unfair.

Past history tells us that there have been confederations as weak (or weaker) than OFC having direct access. Look at the early results of African qualifiers for an example. Compare how the African rep went in 1974 to the Asian/OFC rep in that tournament. All confederations have had direct access to the World Cup from 1970 onwards, until the decision to make OFC a Confederation. The expansion of the World Cup was aimed at getting more representation from other areas. Indeed other areas have had their representation expanded even though when they played head to head with OFC teams OFC teams defeated them (look up the 1993 qualifiers). OFC have not been treated fairly ie by the same rules that apply to other confederations. When the decision was made to make OFC a confederation a World Cup berth should have gone with it. In fact the World Cup was expanded from 24 to 32 just after the decision to make OFC a confederation.

The teams have a chance but the odds are heavily against them as the structure offers OFC teams no competition where they can improve. OFC should be rolled into Asia. Regular play against teams better than them is the only way to improve. I doubt that any team from Asia, Africa or North America would qualify for the World Cup if they had to go through the OFC path. Only European South American teams have a toughr path to the World Cup.