Happy 80th birthday Pele

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by Anthony, Oct 26, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am surprised no one mentioned Pele's 80th birthday last week.

If I may, a story about him

In 1976 Pele was playing for the Cosmos. Chris Soulias and I went to a clinic they were giving at Giants Stadium for soccer kids. They had us down on the field for some photos (Chris and I got a photo with Shep Messing) and then we sat in the stands while they showed us some things.

The players were contractually obligated to be there and generally you could tell they wanted to be somewhere else. Not Pele. He had a pure look of joy on his face while addressing us kids. And when they then had us come down to the field to try out some of the things they taught us you could tell he was enjoying playing with a bunch of 8 year olds

My one claim to soccer glory is I can claim to have played against Pele. And by "played against Pele" I mean he was on the opposite side of the field as I was on during the clinic. But hey, how many of you can say you were on the same field at the same time as Pele?

So happy birthday to the greatest soccer player that ever lived. You brought joy to billions. May you have many more.
    Pele.jpg

Gregoriak, poetgooner and carlito86 repped this.
  2. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC