Hanna Barbera Cup 2008 Vol II [R]

Discussion in 'Mexico: Club Cups and Competitions' started by Chiquitibum, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ya'll should start a club. or better yet! a newsletter to share your ideas with other like-minded individuals!

:D

it's been real. see ya'll during the champions league.

2. El Chompiras

El Chompiras Member+

Feb 27, 2006
    San Fernando Valley
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria

yes thank you for your contributions

now fuck off

3. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    seriously. god forbid someone break up your groupthink circle jerk and inject an outsider's viewpoint into the mix.

congratulations. you called me a bad word!

4. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I'd like to say that it has been fun however, like every other time you show up it's been tedious.

5. El Chompiras

El Chompiras Member+

Feb 27, 2006
    San Fernando Valley
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    i thought you were leaving

6. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Totally agree. I think the Superliga is total garbage, a total waste that I hope is never played again. I think it means less than nothing. It's a glorified friendly tournament and it should remain that way if it doesn't end which will be preferable.

That being said, I really like what Carlos Albert said about MFL teams and although he never made the connection, I did with something he criticized about Argentinean teams. After Lanus lost to Atlas, they fought and Albert said that this is typical about Argentinean teams. They are bad winners and bad losers. They think they should win just because of "la camiseta" and when they don't, they can't handle it and act out like spoiled brats. They lost fair and square and yet acted out. The only differance I see with MFL teams is that they didn't lose fair and square but I still feel the main beef was that the teams tried to win with "la camiseta" and felt it and when they didn't pan out, they acted like those Argie teams.

People here talk about MLS being mickey mosue and crap and how they never are going to get anyway and it is bullshit. They have a good league. It's not near the MFL but it's not set in stone that they can't be. They have as much a chance to grow as anybody, in fact maybe a bigger chance because of the amount of money in the US. People act as if MLS will always be 2nd rate just because they are americans which is the same attitude they have with other teams and NT like Concacaf and it is a total debilitating lie that has hurt us and will hurt us.

20 and 15 years ago South American leagues where far and above superior to us. Colo Colo went and raped Puebla in the intercontinental cup. Argentinean teams and Brazilian teams would in no way be considered the equal of the MFL teams. Today the MFL is clearly the 3rd best league in the hemisphere and maybe higher in some terms. Most of those leagues now are in our shadow and had to eat their words. But that isn't a one way street and MLS has a pretty good chance. They may be overrated by Spazzos but they are definitely underrated here and in a lot of quarters. And people better get used to it and prepare or otherwise we will end up in the position that Chile and other leagues are now in regards to us.

7. robviii

robviii Member

Dec 21, 2001
    Chicago
    This is something I've picked up on quite some time ago, as well. Naming names, some of the most vicious stuff come from the Revolution and Crew boards. It's basically gotten to the point where I don't even bother reading anything on their boards, because of some painfully mean stuff that is blurted out every other post.

For me, it came to a head when I went to the US-Mexico game in Columbus, prior to the 2006 WC. I was having a great conversation with a fellow US fan, and then, hearing some Mexican fans chanting prior to the game, he turned away and started yelling out, "go home, clean my bathroom, etc...."

I was shocked. I'm Mexican-American. Half of my family roots for Mexico, the other half for the US. What we've accomplished as a family is a testament to how great this country is and it's a testament to our heritage. To have a fellow-fan blurt out such hateful things, oblivious to the fact that he was talking to a US fan who could have had family sitting amongst the Mexican fans, was unnerving.

To me it's a game. You can goad each other, make up some good chants, have a laugh, and enjoy the beauty and passion of this game without resorting to racism.

At the end, I think a lot comes down to respect for others and respect for yourself.

Back on topic, I still vote for the Superliga. I also think Houston v Pachuca is turning into a rivalry. For all the naysayers, how long did you hold out on calling the US v Mexico a rivalry?

8. DNA

DNA Member

Jul 4, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Its not a rivalry. Manage a win at Azteca and maybe we can talk.

9. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    It may be turning into a rivalry because of what is happening in the Concacaf cup but not because of the superliga. It's the same situation of America and Chivas. They are of course the biggest rivals in the MFL and whenever they play a friendly in the US they go all out and play hard because of that. But in reality those games are totally meaningless and add nothing to the rivalry, outside of the 40,000 fans who go to watch the games, nobody else could remember or tell you what happened in those games unless somebody happen or some player gets injured or killed or something notable like that. I'm pretty sure something like 90% of Pachuca fans won't remember the semifinal game against Houston last superliga if you ask them today.

10. Papin

Papin BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 19, 1998
    le côté obscur
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It kind of balances out, though, since El Tri has forgotten how to win on U.S. soil.

11. DNA

DNA Member

Jul 4, 2004
    Los Angeles
    At least we have won on US soil

Besides how many of those games have been over hyped friendlies?

12. TallTowerMan

TallTowerMan Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Something tells me that is going to change and relatively soon....:)

13. nicamex1935

nicamex1935 Member+

Jul 10, 2007
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    You have a point... I thought sort of along the same lines as well...

we have to rise above this sort of stuff... repped.

That sounds like the excuse of a 5yr old no offense...

"but he started it!!!"

lol who cares who started it???

14. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    So then why do you care that Atlante started it against the Revs?

15. Perndog2006

Perndog2006 Member+

Jul 24, 2006
    Nery Nut Ryder
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    lol this makes sense now

16. elvasco

elvasco 100% Americanista

Sep 10, 2006
  17. Perndog2006

Perndog2006 Member+

Jul 24, 2006
    Nery Nut Ryder
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    one thing that I would like to mention is:

thank god for this tournament! sven got to see that vuoso is all hype and didnt call him!! yay

18. nicamex1935

nicamex1935 Member+

Jul 10, 2007
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    ???:confused: When did I say that??

I'm pretty sure that I never said that and if I did I was being stupid...

19. Perndog2006

Perndog2006 Member+

Jul 24, 2006
    Nery Nut Ryder
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    well thats a shocker :rolleyes: :p

20. nicamex1935

nicamex1935 Member+

Jul 10, 2007
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    key word: if

lol I don't think I said that pern...

21. Perndog2006

Perndog2006 Member+

Jul 24, 2006
    Nery Nut Ryder
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    pinche wey... cant you see the smileys, of course I know you put IF pendejo..

shit man...

sometimes I facking wonder

22. Papin

Nov 19, 1998
    le côté obscur
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very true. Just think if the U.S. had taken some of those friendlies more seriously. :eek:

23. Papin

Nov 19, 1998
    le côté obscur
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really hope so. It's gotten way too predictable:
    U.S. can't win in Mexico playing in midday heat, at altitude, breathing smog, in front of 100,000 hostile fans. Mexico can't win in the U.S. at sea level, with clear air, and 95% support in the stands. It's just really unfair that el Tri has to put up with those conditions. ;)

24. Perndog2006

Perndog2006 Member+

Jul 24, 2006
    Nery Nut Ryder
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    same goes for Mexico

imagine if they took them seriously

shit the USMNT would have 20 arseholes to poop from

25. Papin

Nov 19, 1998
    le côté obscur
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully more seriously than el Tri took the two qualifiers in Columbus, or the quarterfinal in Korea. Or the first friendly under Hugo where he called in all the European-based players and still managed to lose to the U.S. B team.
    I know Mexico can do better than that.