Hankinson interview 9/28

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by anderson, Sep 28, 2003.

1. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tim Hankinson is scheduled to be on Glenn Davis' radio show today (9/28).

The show streams online at: www.kpft.org. They're also apparently archiving the show.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/soc/2124447

2. gschroeder

gschroeder Member

Jun 18, 2001
    Thornton, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Thanks for the info, I'll be listening.

3. chilistrider

chilistrider Together We Rise

May 9, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bump -Hanki is on now

4. chilistrider

May 9, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I missed the very beginning of the interview, but I tuned in about the time the interviewer was asking Hankinson what he thought brought about the team's turnaround this season. If I understood correctly, Hankinson said the style of play is dictated by the players on the field, and that at the beginning of the season the team was still playing the way it had when Valderrama had been there; that is, they would send a couple of people up to the box and wait for Pibe to get them the ball. Clearly, that strategy didn't do it for them. So they switched to more of a strategy of breaking away on counterattacks.

Hanki also reiterated how much it does for the team to see the stadium full of fans on the Fourth of July, even if a lot of the fans are really only fans of fireworks.

Hanki also delivered a sort of backhanded compliment to Casey Schmidt, regarding preseason play versus playing in real games.

Hanki phoned in the interview from the East Coast. He's on a scouting trip and had just watched the University of Maryland beat Wake Forest 1-0.

5. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    looking at abe thompson?

6. chilistrider

May 9, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He didn't name names, but presumably he saw plenty of Thompson when he was on the Boulder Rapids Reserves, as well as Clarence Goodson. Honestly, I remember Goodson from the game BRR played against the Rapids up in Boulder earlier this season, but I don't recall seeing Thomspon. Maybe Terpfan can enlighten us.

7. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    lots of good players

Hankinson could have been looking at anyone but you would have to think about the team needs and assume he would address those areas. I think the Rapids need a target forward, another centerback, attacking midfielder, holding mid (if Pablo goes eruo) and outside defenders. I don't see them on a daily basis so I may be off but these are the players he may have been scouting.

There was no real target forward playing is this game. Thompson is big but doesn't jump well or hold the ball very well either. Jason Garey is the closest thing and he's only a sophomore. The best prospects at forward are little guys like Jerry White, Jason Moose and Dom Mediate. I think the Rapids are all set with little guys up top.

Attacking Mid we have Sumed Imbrahim who is a physical talent and scored a terrific goal in the game. His quickness is unmatched in the college game and he ran rings around DCU during a earlier scrimage. Consistency and timely passing maybe areas of concern.

Outside backs there was Seth Stammler who's playing the middle for UMD but at 5' 10" will likely move outside at the next level. He is quick, a good man marker, tremendous long passer and has good pace. Wake has Wiggy Sanders at 6' 2" has size, qucikness and outstanding ball skills. Kelvin Jones is a physical talent but probably is not good enough with reading game and lacks the necessary ball skills.

Holding midfielder, Scotty Buete is simply the best one in the country. His ball winning and constant ball pressure sets him apart, he is a major reason UMD has only concede 2 goals in 9 games. He is also very much a two way player capable and changing a game with one run or pass. Wake's Amir lowery is very consistent and brings size (6' 2") that is not often seen at this position and is a good distributor.

Centerback, UMD's Clarence Goodson might be the best in the country at 6' 4" totally dominates the air, has good ball skills and organizes one of the nation's best defenses. He had 4 of Maryland's 9 total shots against Wake from set pieces which is an added bonus. Hankinson should be very familar with him from the BRR team and may have wanted to see him live one more time and in the UMD situation. Wake's Micheal Parkhurst is good but a bit undersized a 5' 10" for the next level. He could move outside next year so he's a wait see guy.

Two of the nation's best goalies were also in action and playing pretty well but that doesn't appear to be a team need with Garlick and Cannon on the roster and doing well.

Oh, regarding the BRR PDL, Goodson played all Summer and did quite well for a injury laiden squad but Thompson got hurt the within two weeks of his arrival went home.

Again, I may be totally wrong on the team needs so you Rapids fans don't get your feelings hurt with my assessments here, it's only for BS discussion. I'm sure it's also obviuos I'm more familar (bias?) with the UMD players.

8. joeyclams

joeyclams Member

Apr 16, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Re: lots of good players

Um, any other position need strengthening? I mean, you basically named every position. I hope Chung, Henderson, Spencer, Carrieri, Borchers, Kotschau, Beckerman, and Garlick can make the team next year.

9. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    Re: Re: lots of good players

I didn't say everyone needed to be replaced but a few positions could perhaps use more depth. I mean the Rapids are going to draft some guys regardless, right? I don't see them passing in all six rounds. The centerback position is a team strength but Fraser will be 37 going into next season so they may want to start grooming someone. If Zizi Roberts comes back at 100% percent and stays healthy you are propbably set a forward as well. The attacking mf is okay with Beckerman if you only want square/ possession passing but maybe a more dynamic player could be a good change of pace. I don't think the current outside backs are outstanding and perhaps picking up some help there would improve the team. If Pablo leaves the holding midfield position could be area to look at in the draft.
    I admit most of you regular Rapid fans know your team needs better than me but the question was who was Hankinson possibly scouting at the UMD-Wake game over the weekend so I took a stab at it.
    BTW, great job by the whole Rapids organization getting things turn around after a pretty miserable start.

10. phills

phills Member

Nov 24, 1999
    I admit most of you regular Rapid fans know your team needs better than me but the question was who was Hankinson possibly scouting at the UMD-Wake game over the weekend so I took a stab at it.
    Yea we do know our players better than a fan of a college team.. Hankinson could of been in the area for another reason other than soccer. Just because a college player looks SUPER or is on a number 1 team in the nation does not mean they can come in and just take any of the starters positions.what makes you an expert on players and positions. Our 18 players are better than any college player right now. don't make comments about players on a mls team if you haven't even followed them or seen them play.. Someone ought to do a list of how many college players who stayed in college are starting in MLs or even on a bench getting adequate time....

11. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    your right

Wow, pretty touchy. The current Rapids are so outstanding that they were 1-1-1 against the Boulder Rapid Reserves last Summer, you know a bunch of college players. The point is, there is going to be a draft in January and some players will be replaced next season, it's a fact of life in MLS so some scouting does occur.

12. chilistrider

May 9, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    terp fan, thanks for your insight on who you thought Hanki may have been looking at in the Wake Forest game. I thought you gave a pretty good answer, so I'm not sure why some foks are jumping all over you for your response.

13. He's In Fashion

Jan 7, 2000
    Littlefun, CO, US
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we need a right and left back... Stewart will be back with Borchers and Robin has another year in him... Hart needs to go, but not after Trembly...

We need an attacking mid, ZiZi will be in shape and ready to go next year, and Young Carrieri and Spenny are going to be back next year as well so the forward spots look good... maybe another wing player, but Chung and Hendo (despite seemingly being around forever) are fairly young, even for soccer standards.

That, and we have more goalkeepers than we know what to do with...

So... Right and Left Back... A playmaking midfielder, because we have two defensive midfielders in Powell and Maestro, and Beckerman's coming along but his passing isn't creative enough in the attack, and he doesn't defend well enough to be given slack. Maybe, a wing player (Kingsley needs to learn how to play both ways).

Other than those positions, I'm pretty content... Stewart will be a central defender when he comes back...

14. jatterbu012

jatterbu012 New Member

May 28, 2001
    boulder, co
    i dont why everyone is saying we need outside backS. we need an outside back. hart has to go, he is an embarassment. kotschau has done an amazing job and i think he is severely underrated. he is solid on defense, and gets into the attack very well. scored a few classic goals if i remember correctly.

15. wcgcapone

wcgcapone Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was about to say the same thing, why would we need to replace Roberto Kotschau?

16. He's In Fashion

Jan 7, 2000
    Littlefun, CO, US
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not saying that Kotschau needs to go, but that we'll need an extra outside back, so that makes 2 if we can ship Hart's ass off somewhere... just like Kingsley is to Chung and Henderson...

I would rate Big Rich the same as the you...

17. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    I think where the Rapids suffer in depth the most is in midfield. Aside from Pablo and Hendo, there is not a single player in the side that can pose a consistent attacking threat out of midfield whether on the wings or in the center. There needs to be someone that can come in off the bench and provide a spark when necessary.

The team is equally in need of a true utility midfielder. This player doesn't need to be flashy, just someone who is capable of getting an adequate job when subbing on or occasionally starting in place of a missing regular. The key here is that this player needs to be able to play EVERY midfield position, which in the Rapids' current organization is only three: left wing, right wing, defensive mid.

Neither of these players is likely to be a college player. Certainly the Rapids should continue to look for bright new talent from the college ranks, but it's doubtful they'll find what they need straight out of the crib. And for all the scouting, the best blessing that Colorado received this year was Nat Borchers, a player from right under their noses.