Handling?

Discussion in 'Referee' started by fairplayforlife, Feb 22, 2021.

1. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    This is how I feel, they don't give a crap about us at the higher levels, why should we give a crap about them? Let's make our own Laws to handle our own games, ELIMINATE FIFA! VIVA LA REVOLUTION!

GlennAA11 repped this.
  2. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Don't do what we said, do what we would have meant if we had really thought it through . . .

3. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
  4. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    The article also states that the changes were proposed in December and were not the result of recent events.

(Hey, didn't some smart guy suggest that earlier in the thread! :rolleyes:)

dadman repped this.
  5. SCV-Ref

SCV-Ref Member

Spurs
    Australia
    Feb 22, 2018
    One of my favorite lines from the IFAB release:
    "As the interpretation of handball incidents has not always been consistent due to incorrect applications of the Law,....."
    So to be clear, according to IFAB, it's our fault.

RefIADad and MJ91 repped this.
  6. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn’t that what they said about the last change?

7. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    100%. Any goal scored after touching the hand no matter how accidental was against the spirit of football. At least it was in 2018.

8. Ghastly Officiating

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 12, 2017
    Welcome to another addition of what even is handling anymore...

9. fischietto

fischietto Member

Apr 13, 2018
    I have come to the conclusion there is simply no way to write a handball law into words without unintended consequences.

I think IFAB should release a digital catalogue of ~50 potential handballs and simply tell us punishable or not. Maybe Futuro does this, but I don’t think the masses really utilize this.

10. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    IFAB may as well say: “Balls hit arms and hands all the time. We get it. It’s been happening since the first day soccer was played. As long as you don’t Maradona it in the back of the net we don’t care. Everyone get over it.”

DefRef, AremRed, IASocFan and 2 others repped this.
  11. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    As much as I hate the constant tinkering, I think this was an improvement over the past two years' changes. We now have (1) deliberate, the old standby, (2) unnaturally bigger, which had really become part of the definition of deliberate before they started with all the monkey business, and (3) a player can't accidentally handle and then be the person to score. I'm pretty OK with this as a reasonable place to be--clearly better than the last couple.

DefRef and jayhonk repped this.
  12. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Not entirely. Reaction time can be a clue as to whether handling was deliberate; it just doesn't apply to biggering/above shoulder. But I really wish his explanations tied more to the Law 12 language than just his opinions and personal criteria.

14. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was referring strictly to the language we have at our disposal. Which in the case of the one he’s saying isn’t handling. Doesn’t work. Reaction time or proximity are specifically to be disregarded if the arm is positioned as it was on that play.

15. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    Did you invent Biggering? I really like it and will be using it whenever I get back on the field. It will drive the English team trainers mad.

SccrDon and SCV-Ref repped this.
  16. SCV-Ref

SCV-Ref Member

Spurs
    Australia
    Feb 22, 2018
  17. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Making oneself bigger is just so long-winded . . .