Handicapping the 2016 Republican Presidential Candidates

Discussion in 'Elections' started by argentine soccer fan, Jul 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Who will be the Republican Presidential Nominee in 2016?

1. Paul Ryan (US Congressman)

6 vote(s)
    9.8%
  2. Chris Christie (New Jersey Governor)

14 vote(s)
    23.0%
  3. Marco Rubio (US Senator)

4 vote(s)
    6.6%
  4. Rand Paul (US Senator)

9 vote(s)
    14.8%
  5. Jeb Bush (Former Florida Governor)

13 vote(s)
    21.3%
  6. Ted Cruz (US Senator)

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  7. Bobby Jindal (Louisiana Governor)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Condoleezza Rice (Former US Secretary of State)

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  9. Rick Santorum (Former US Senator)

3 vote(s)
    4.9%
  10. John Huntsman (Former Utah Governor)

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  11. Other (Please specify)

7 vote(s)
    11.5%
  1. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well, I heard that Ted Cruz joined Glenn Beck in f***ing a dead pig the same night they raped a 12 year old girl in 1992.

Allegedly...

ElJefe and dapip repped this.
  2. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    http://www.newyorker.com/humor/boro...nd-walker-return-nine-hundred-million-dollars

dapip repped this.
  3. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    “The Kochs were pissed.”

The Pissed Kochs has a pleasant ring to it as, say, a band name.

4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Surgeons are pretty narrowly-focused and -educated. You don't have to have a good education in philosophy or evolutionary biology (outside of practical concerns) or even self-awareness to be able to be good at cutting into people and sewing them back up.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  6. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I was just checking the requirements: Most medical schools require two years of biology: at most colleges, that would be a year of general biology, and a year of most likely, anatomy and physiology. I can see where his exposure to Devil-lution would be limited enough that he could fake his way through the coursework. And there's also two years of chemistry through Organic. Wouldn't come up there either.

Edit: Wikipedia says his undergraduate major at Yale was Psychology. So he likely had close to the minimum in bio... So, yeah, it's possible he got to where he is without figuring out how inconceivable the natural world without Darwin's insights.

7. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    The other option, of course, is that he learned semi-extensively about it and chose to handwave it away like so many people do as part of Intelligent Design or other such nonsense. There are LOADS of scientists - even guys at NASA - who simply cannot or NEED not reconcile their religious beliefs with their work (and for the life of me, I cannot figure out why, if most people accept the allegorical nature of the Christian Bible to one extent or the other, it is thought that religion and evolution are 100% mutually exclusive; hell, even lots of Muslim scientists manage to at least compartmentalize and/or seem more at ease with the two ideas, even though in theory the Quran is the literal word of God as told through Gabriel to Mohammed).

8. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I remember there was certain Christian that felt this guy was appealing to him because of his faith...

9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right, but before he was a surgeon, he was a med student, and before that he probably was pre-med. I'm sure evolution came up.

10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is childbirth so painful for humans? Two reasons. First, our giant heads. Second, the human pelvis is shaped weird because we walk upright.

The Bible says it's painful because Adam and Eve ate from the Tree of Knowledge. Potayto, potahto.

dapip repped this.
  11. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Yeah, but I'm saying that even med students, going through med school don't necessarily get the full-up Darwin treatment for very long. They aren't biologists

It's sort of amazing that we didn't die out long ago.

12. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #2337 Auriaprottu, Sep 23, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
    Being hardcore Advy would pretty much eliminate everything you were ever taught about science or reason once you leave the office and head home. That niqqa's as conflicted as possible in even being a science professional.

The Advy church has over 18 million cultists, and most of them are White. Why we keep hearing the stupid only from the Black ones is beyond me. I was expecting Carson to have the traditional Black advy background (emigrate to NYC from some Caribbean geechee banana republic tourist spot, stay in NYC for a few years without getting any of the culture that would free your mind, then send your kids to Oakwood Col- uh, Yoo-nih-vuhhh-si-ty and spend the remainder of one's life pandering to Huntsville's White power brokers), but it appears his folks are from backwoods Georgia.

But have you heard them sing? They're so talented and unthreatening that Christianity must rethink its position!

13. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    So he's disqualified from public office, right?

14. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Wrong.

You need to get out of New York and listen to what's being said in America. If I had a dollar for every time someone has said the world is only 6000 years old, I'd have at least $20 over the course of my lifetime.

15. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Pre-med basically can be anything just so long as the student takes the basics. Here is what Yale's med school requires.

http://medicine.yale.edu/education/admissions/apply/premed.aspx

The minimum requirements for admission to the first-year class are:

• Attendance for three academic years, or the equivalent, at an accredited college, university, or institute of technology.
      • Satisfactory completion of the following courses:

• General Biology or Zoology with lab (2 semesters)
      • General Chemistry with lab (2 semesters)
      • Organic Chemistry with lab (1 semester)
      • Biochemistry (1 semester) (lab recommended, but not required)
      • General Physics with lab (2 semesters). . .
      • The Admissions Committee has no preference as to a major field for undergraduate study and leaves this decision to students with the advice that they advance beyond the elementary level in the field of their choice rather than pursue an undirected program. A liberal education is the supporting structure for graduate study, and must encompass understanding of the humanities, arts, and society as well as the scientific foundations of technology and civilization. The student of medicine enters a profession closely allied to the natural sciences and must be prepared to cope with chemistry and biology at a graduate level. Students entering college with a strong background in the sciences, as demonstrated by advanced placement, are encouraged to substitute advanced science courses for the traditional requirements listed above.
    So it's possible his undergrad years spent no time at all really studying evolution (it would come up in passing in a first or second year bio class) even though it's going to be providing the foundations underlying pretty much anything he's studying in those biology classes.

Timon19 repped this.
  16. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    The statement itself is disappointing coming from any person that has been scientifically trained.

crazypete13 repped this.
  17. Danwoods

Danwoods Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Bertram, TX, US
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the buttplug fits.......

18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @argentine soccer fan this thread should probably be locked as there's a new thread with a better poll.

19. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I took intro to Biology (this was a class on base, so with many military people) that teacher started on some "this is science class so I do not mean to offend people that may have contradictory ideas about evolution....."

She had had issues in her years of teaching young religious people in the past, so she would start all her new classes with that.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  20. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina