Handicapping the 2016 Republican Presidential Candidates

Discussion in 'Elections' started by argentine soccer fan, Jul 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Who will be the Republican Presidential Nominee in 2016?

1. Paul Ryan (US Congressman)

6 vote(s)
    9.8%
  2. Chris Christie (New Jersey Governor)

14 vote(s)
    23.0%
  3. Marco Rubio (US Senator)

4 vote(s)
    6.6%
  4. Rand Paul (US Senator)

9 vote(s)
    14.8%
  5. Jeb Bush (Former Florida Governor)

13 vote(s)
    21.3%
  6. Ted Cruz (US Senator)

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  7. Bobby Jindal (Louisiana Governor)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Condoleezza Rice (Former US Secretary of State)

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  9. Rick Santorum (Former US Senator)

3 vote(s)
    4.9%
  10. John Huntsman (Former Utah Governor)

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  11. Other (Please specify)

7 vote(s)
    11.5%
  1. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I came up with a partial list of potential candidates, but feel free to mention others.

2. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You could replace Condi with Ted Nugent or Rick Perry. Either has a better chance of winning the GOP nomination at the convention itself than she does as a declared candidate.

Jindal could be replaced with pretty much any White guy with a pulse, once the ball starts rolling and the national GOP base sees Jindal as an Indian rather than as an American.

No one named Marco Rubio is going to win a national GOP nom.

If Ted Cruz' father or grandfather had only known he'd be among the people who could run, he'd have changed his surname to Crews, and the first name (Rafael) wouldn't be such a burden.

3. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    I am not very politically savvy but other than being an ass Christie appears, to me, to have the least amount of baggage. At least not politically....only physically.

4. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I have no frickin' clue, and I mention this not b/c it's 3+ years away so we shouldn't even bother, but I think the "no f***ing idea" sentiment is important b/c the GOP leaders themselves have no idea where this fractured party will be going.

And who are the party "leaders" anyway?

The GOP is morphous blob of Stupid limping around screaming at Latino immigrants to get off their lawn (but then secretly hiring them to fulfill their Godly destiny to maintain said lawn), worrying about women's va-jay jays (ewwwww!!!111!!!), Teh Gheys (ewwwwww!!!111!!!), Teh Negroes just not getting over it (why do they ALWAYS play the race card???111!!!), the librul media and their biases and their "facts" 'bout "demographics" and how they don't realize that they ARE reaching out to Teh Gheys, the women, the Latinos, and the Negroes, it's just that those people just don't even try to understand that white men are the only minority in the US that you can get away with making fun of.

The GOP just needs to shore up the white vote and all their problems will be solved.

dapip, bigredfutbol, Minnman and 2 others repped this.
  5. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's difficult to make a prediction this far out. Right now, it looks like the crazy wing is still in charge, but will they still be in charge a year from now?

I picked Bush just because I think the Republican primary voters will go with a name that represents the anti-Obama, regardless of how toxic that name is to the rest of the country (or how similar many of Obama's policies were to the last Bush in the White House).

6. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being an ass is a plus to the Republican primary voters. But there was that one time he hugged Obama, so he's done.

GiuseppeSignori and Auriaprottu repped this.
  7. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Is Ted Cruz eligible? He was not born in the US. According to this, he is, but he's got less of a claim to the title "natural born citizen" than Obama.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  8. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Oh dang! Forgot about that...can I change my vote?

Smurfquake repped this.
  9. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Wait just one minute! Wasn't it Bush II that uttered "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, uh..shame on you agin." What in #$%&@ could be said for # three....oops? :oops:

10. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    A classic.

roby repped this.
  11. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The Paul Ryan thing is a joke right? seriously this guy was a clown in 2012. He was completely useless even worse then Palin in 2008 he gave that ticket nothing!

12. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Christie, Paul, Rubio, Jeb. If Jeb runs Rubio doesn't run.

13. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
  15. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
  16. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rand Paul. There. I said it. Who wants to doubt me? Let's assume the primaries occur at roughly the same spots as last time.

Iowa: his dad received 26,000 votes in the depressed 2012 primaries, and since then the Paul wing of the party has moved to take over a lot of the state party structure. Barring an Iowan getting into the race or Christie becoming suddenly popular with social conservatives, this is Rand's state to lose.

New Hampshire: Christie wins this state, but Dad got 2nd there in 2012 so Rand will pick off enough votes (and delegates) to maintain pace.

South Carolina: this is the state where a Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio or a Bobby Jindal has to win to be viable, but I think if Rand wins Iowa and gets second in New Hampshire he wins this state, too.

Florida: Rubio's to lose, but if Rubio doesn't make it here, or if Jeb Bush tosses his hat in as well, this will be a local boy fight and Rand will skip it. Christie won't/can't, and will sink a ton of money into winning this state while Rand goes to the caucus states.

Nevada: Pauliacs own this state party as well. Make it 3 victories for the kid.

Caucus states (Colorado, Maine, Missouri, Minnesota): Rick Santorum only got those wins because people in those states hated Romney. They're gonna hate Christie, too. By this point, unless Rubio or ::insert alternative here:: gets South Carolina or Iowa or New Hampshire, it'll be down to Christie and not-Christie. Make it 7 victories for Rand.

Sure, Christie wins the Northeast and Rust Belt, and probably the Left Coast. Sure, Florida and Texas might go to local boys. But Rand's got Mitch McConnell and 19 rural states (West Va, Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, South Carolina, Missouri, Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, the Dakotas, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Idaho, Alaska) that he'll win in both the primary and general election. Take a look at those states: they're the states that Republicans win every year since 1992. And nobody looks stronger in those places than Rand Paul. They accounted for 55% of Mitt Romney's electoral-college votes and 66% of John McCain's. It's the heartland, baby! Who better to lead them to losing all but fifteen states than Rand?

s7kru, Q*bert Jones III and uclacarlos repped this.
  17. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Chris Matthews predicted Rand last night as well.

I think the GOP truly believes that doubling down on the white vote along with lower minority turnout (because of no Obama to vote for) will win them the election.

I don't think they realize that if Rand is the candidate then Dems will still get the black turnout out in force because of his racist ways.

18. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Hence the redoubling of the effort on voter ID laws.

19. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Christie uses a bigger scale.

dapip, ElJefe, roby and 1 other person repped this.
  20. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paul/Amash vs. Cuomo/Warren

21. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, that'll happen. :D

22. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Whatever. Nobody else here is going to get it right either.

And PS, I think you are off on NH. Rand should own that place.

23. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's possible the libertarian streak in NH outweighs the "Oh, he's a Kentuckian" part. Rand's not known for being eloquent like his father.

24. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Maybe so......but Ron's children is learnin. o_O

25. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Is Rand going to spread the $$$ around Iowa like Pop did?

Ron Paul 2012 Campaign Accused Of Bribing Iowa State Senator Kent Sorenson
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/07/ron-paul-kent-sorenson_n_3721551.html