Handball question[R]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by ArsenalTexan3, Nov 17, 2004.

1. tjgalli

tjgalli New Member

Apr 16, 2002
    I'm with Mr Zawadzki on this one. Handling is incorrectly called several times in nearly every game.

2. Scott Zawadzki

Feb 18, 1999
    Midlothian, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After lurking since April 2002, you finally post to agree with me???? Thanks! ;)

Z

3. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how about For example 2002 world cup a player is standing on the goal line(during a free kick) marking the near post, the ball bounces off the ground and hits his hand(his hand is away from his body) and that stops it from going in, now it wasnt intential, but what should happen? nothing because it was unintential or a pk?

4. Ref Flunkie

Ref Flunkie Member

Oct 3, 2003
    New Hudson, MI
    As was called during the match, it should be a no call. No intent and it was in a natural position.

5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When guarding the post, the other arm shouldn't be used to make the defender "bigger." Shoulda been a PK and a red card. IMO, Dallas was afraid to give both a PK *AND* a sendoff, which would have given the US ~60 minutes to eliminate Germany. He wussed out, and couldn't even wuss out in a fair way...saying the ball had crossed the line. (It didn't, but it was close enough to be the bailout call.)

6. whitehound

whitehound New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    O'fallon Il
    Which is why he is running this middle of top level international games and you are spending your free time posting on bigsoccer???? Until they put pockets on soccer shorts and tell us they have to keep thier hands in them you have to let stuff like this go......not DELIBERATE. and hands were in a natural playing position. read the ATR.

7. HoldenMan

HoldenMan New Member

Jun 18, 2004
    NSW, Australia
    2 things to be considered.

1) were his hands in a natural position (slightly out from his body is usually such a position)?

2)Did he have a reasonable opportunity to prevent the ball striking his hand?

8. Ref Flunkie

Ref Flunkie Member

Oct 3, 2003
    New Hudson, MI

And both were NO's in the case of the World Cup game. It would have been more of a wuss out call if he would have called a PK. The defender had them hanging at his side and had no chance of moving it....nor did he move it after it hit the arm in a manner to "play" the ball in a different direction. It simply hit his arm and fell straight down. It was a brave and proper call.

9. Ref Flunkie

Ref Flunkie Member

Oct 3, 2003
    New Hudson, MI
    Oopss....Yes...No...wait, what was the question again?? :)

10. Scott Zawadzki

Feb 18, 1999
    Midlothian, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you meant the answer to #1 was YES...but I may be reading this all wrong myself.

Scott

11. Crowdie

Crowdie New Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Hugh Dallas is an extremely experienced FIFA referee and when you get to his level you generally don't get too many handball calls wrong. If you did then you wouldn't have got to his level in the first place and you will certainly wouldn't be there for long.

When deciding whether a situation is handball or "ball to hand" I use the following four rules:

1) Is the hand/arm moving towards the ball or is the ball moving towards the hand/arm?

2) Is the hand/arm in a position that you would normally expect a soccer player to have it in that situation? (ie a natural position)

3) Did the player have time to move his/her hand/arm away from the path of the ball?

4) Did the player see the ball? - NEVER give a handball against a player looking the other way (for example, turning away to give the 10 yards at a free)

Whether the player gains an advantage from the ball coming off his/her hand/arm not does come into your decision.

I didn't see the game (too busy watching Ireland play :D ) but from your description the ball moved towards an arm in a position you would normally expect a defender in that situation to have it in so it was "ball to hand" not handball.

Having watched Hugh Dallas referee more than a few games I can tell you that he has no problems with issuing cards.

12. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was widespread disagreement at the time among the U.S. supporters as to whether Frings' hand and arm were in that position for balance or because he was trying to make himself wider. There aren't really any questions otherwise -- he definitely did not move his hand to the ball (in fact, I think he tried to move it backward away from the ball).

I was on the side of for balance, hence a good no-call. There are a good number of U.S. supporters who do not acknowledge this side of the argument, unfortunately.

13. Ref Flunkie

Ref Flunkie Member

Oct 3, 2003
    New Hudson, MI
    They viewed it through rose colored glasses. Honestly, I didn't even think his arm was that far away from his body at the time of the contact. If you don't want balls hitting arms, cut of the player's arms.

14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Next time you watch a match, see where the defender on the post puts his goal-side arm. Shoulda been a PK. If Frings had been starting to run out, then you could say his goal-side arm was in a natural position. He wasn't so it wasn't.

15. Ref Flunkie

Ref Flunkie Member

Oct 3, 2003
    New Hudson, MI
    We'll agree to disagree. I played defense most of my youth soccer career, and that looked like a natural position to me. Just because some people THINK the natural position SHOULD be against his body doesn't mean it is.

16. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Spot on. Sometimes defenders even put their arms/hands behind their backs - a rather unnatural position.

17. whitehound

whitehound New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    O'fallon Il
    and sometimes they raise them over their heads.....until we get the riverdance crew out there..anything is possible.