Handball cautions.

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Guy Fawkes, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes Member

Nov 22, 2006
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I consistently see handballs being cautioned. Now, if I'm not mistaken, I thought the rules suggested that handballs are not supposed to be cautioned if they're just a handball, because all handballs are supposed to be intentional (regardless of whether or not we call them that way, which we don't and I think it's fine, but as far as cautions are concerned), and should not be cautioned, unless, as the only reason I could think of why they should be cautioned, is to stop an attack from the other team and stop the flow of the game.

Now, I know these cautions are given because of an intention to deceive the referee, but I don't know how this can be called because, as enumerated in the rules, all handballs that are called should be deemed intentional.

Thoughts?

2. PVancouver

PVancouver Member

Apr 1, 1999
    Where?

In my opinion any premeditated, blatant handling of the ball is sanctionable as unsporting behavior, but others would prefer to limit cautions to the two or three cases specifically named in the LOTG where a caution is "required".

3. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    It's more the situation than the act of handling. As PV points out, if it is blatantly done to stop an attack, it's textbook UB. The location on the field etc all factor in. For me to pull a caution on handling it has to be crystal clear.

for example, my earliest in the game ever caution was for handling (and signalled the start of a potentially long morning):

first minute of play (yes watch said 0:53 when I looked for the time). Team had the kickoff, played the ball back to mids, defending team all pushed up. Mid moved ball out wide, striker breaks on a run, times it great, mid plays the ball over the top, defender, caught cross-footed, reaches up and makes a great over the shoulder catch (well almost, he dropped the ball). Clearly done to stop the attack. If he hadn't done it the striker is on a breakaway from 20 yards past mid-field.

Nobody said a word when I cautioned him, assessor called it the first "moment of truth" which I got right.

It can happen.

4. jayhonk

jayhonk Member+

Oct 9, 2007
    My observations lead me to believe that the pattern you mention is more of a British practice. Anyone can chime in here on that if they wish...

I think your understanding of the law is accurate. The way I look at it is, if there is a tactical element to the handling, then it is cautionable.

5. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes Member

Nov 22, 2006
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As said below, pretty much in the premiership. I'm sure I've seen it elsewhere though.

Hmm, I haven't reffed for a few years; are those laws new? I can't recall seeing them when I reffed.

Right, and before the above laws of the game were posted, I suggested and believed that this was the only type of scenario that needed caution, just like a regular, normal foul without intent to injure or not from behind or anything would typically not be cautioned unless it was in a situation like the above.

Fair enough. I'll have to look at the LoTG a bit more closely.

Really, I just want to be start reffing again, but they'll make me do the class again, even though I'd pass the test with flying colors. Oh well.

6. refontherun

refontherun Member+

Jul 14, 2005
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen it done twice in the past couple of days. Once in a UEFA CL match. Attacker backheeled the ball back across the PA suprizing the defender who stuck his hand out and kept the ball from coming across the mouth of goal. PK and Caution!

The second handling caution was in a COCACAF CL match and was at mid-field. Similar to the example given by NHRef.

7. Another NH Ref

Another NH Ref BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 29, 2008
    Southern NH
    Must be something in the water here. My earliest-in-the-game caution was exactly the same thing (2:20 in) and it was definitely the start of the longest 90 minutes of my life. 10 yellows, 2 reds, 2 coach ejections and a call to the local cops, it mercifully came to an end...

And yes, the offense was a harbinger of things to come.

8. PVancouver

PVancouver Member

Apr 1, 1999
    The statements I quoted aren't in the actual Laws themselves, but in the
    "Interpretation of the laws of the game and guidelines for referees" section, a large section which is relatively new.

9. nonya

nonya Member

Mar 2, 2006
    My earliest in the game caution was really a send off.

H.S. Match-JV Boys. Partner flips the coin, one captain swings and decks the other one, he lost the toss by the way.

10. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes Member

Nov 22, 2006
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol, nothing like high school boys. Any other details? Never seen anything like that before.

11. refmedic

refmedic Member

Sep 22, 2008
    I agree that it is not just the handling offense, but the nature of that offense. When the handling is of a tactical nature, such as to stop a promising attack, or to attempt to score a goal, then that is USB. In the above example regarding the backheel across the goalmouth, IMO, a ball played across the goalmouth is at least a promising attack. If a player handles the ball to prevent the through ball, then that is a caution all day long.