Hamm as a sub?

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by USAfanatic9, Aug 8, 2002.

1. USAfanatic9

USAfanatic9 New Member

Aug 6, 2001
    NJ
    She seems to be amazing off of the bench lately. Could that mean that she may become the newest "super-sub"?

2. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    At the Meet the Team event last night, Jim said he was not going to try to fix something that isn't broken. Sounds like Mia will continue to be a halftime sub.

3. outsidehitter

outsidehitter New Member

Jul 27, 2002
    Hmmmm. What if it is broken. Don't want them to get used to being down at halftime and relying on the second half subs to pull ahead...kinda risky. I don't know, it's a tough call.

4. USAfanatic9

USAfanatic9 New Member

Aug 6, 2001
    NJ
    I agree with outsidehitter.. I would try her starting again and see if they can start the game with the lead rather than just leaving themselves the 45minutes to get it back..

5. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, you get the feeling that they don't start playing at full throttle until Mia shows up. Not a good habit to get into, particularly in the playoffs.

6. USAfanatic9

USAfanatic9 New Member

Aug 6, 2001
    NJ
    i say get her in the starting line-up in a game before the playoffs start... which is VERY soon.. and then decide where she should be during the playoffs

7. FreedomFan526

FreedomFan526 New Member

Jan 11, 2002
    Virginia
    Mia is definitely playing the super sub right now. However I agree with everyone who says they should not rely on her to come in and save the game. They need to be ahead. Playing catch up in the play offs will be a really risky move.

8. USAfanatic9

USAfanatic9 New Member

Aug 6, 2001
    NJ
    yes i agree. although it is always good to have power off of the bench, you want to start with it to. especially if you want to get anywhere in the playoffs

9. *Crazy_Chastain*

*Crazy_Chastain* New Member

Mar 19, 2000
    Florida
    Would you rather she starts and goes out hard and have the possibility of her not being able to make it through the second half and losing it late? I mean, it seems safer to me to bring her on as a halftime sub, because if we're down, she can come on and try to make a difference. But if she starts and still only lasts a half, and we're down, she won't be able to help the team come back. I kinda agree with Jimmy here about the whole "don't fix it if it aint broken" thing here, and I think if she still can only last a half that its safer to use her in the 2nd half. I'd love to see her play a full 90, but if its not definite that she can, then it is much safer to use her in the 2nd half. I do agree with starting her in the NY game though, since the outcome doesn't matter and seeing how long she can last.