Hamlet

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by DoctorJones24, Jul 25, 2002.

1. irvine

irvine Member

Nov 24, 1998
    S. Portland, ME
    Well, it's a book that has erotic poetry next to fairly frenzied denunciations of the body; the beauty of the psalms next to the incredible (and approved) cynicism of Lot trying to placate the crowd with his daughters in Sodom and Gomorrah; exhortations to exterminate competing tribes (except for their young women who are to be raped and enslaved) set next to lamentations about slavery and wishes for peace; and so on. An utterly loopy and incoherent book that despite this is captivating and a great read; the best and worst of humanity all rolled into one. Especially the King James Version for the poetry of the language.

2. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yes on The Bible.

3. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Irvine,

No actually i meant, generally speaking what do the words "cracked and wonky" mean, not so much what you ment by applying them to the Bible. It must be slang that I'm just not hep to, Cat. :) Didn't mean any offense by that or by the "IS that fair?" comment. Both were made in jest. I'll make better use of emoticons in the future. :)

4. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The most useful way to approach the bible (one utterly unfavored by fundies of course) is as a portable library, not a single, unitary book. That's probably not news to people involved in this discussion, but some people might find it helpful.

By the way, Irvine, I'm on the waiting list for your book at the local library. I should be taking it out for a test-read in 3-4 weeks.

5. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland

I'm on the waiting list at Waldenbooks. It seems the one I go to has sold out their first order. Good sign! BTW, here are a couple more to help catch me up to the crowd. I should need two more after this, right?

Ethan Frome
    Out of Africa

Both of which I was supposed to read, but boredom precluded me from getting past the 3rd chapter in either one. :)

JMac

6. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Ethan Frome-No
    Out of Africa-No

7. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Again, what Jose said.

8. irvine

irvine Member

Nov 24, 1998
    S. Portland, ME
    Sorry, thought you were asking me to explain my opinion rather than my terminology. "Cracked" as in irrational or incoherent and "wonky" as in just plain weird.

9. irvine

irvine Member

Nov 24, 1998
    S. Portland, ME
    Waiting list? You mean more than one person was interested? Neat.

Also good news about Jacen's Waldenbooks. I feel a groundswell of word-of-mouth coming on...

I have read neither Ethan Frome nor Out of Africa, and I don't regret missing either one.

10. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't remember if Out Of Africa is by Dinesen or about Dinesen. In any event, I've got a book of Dinesen's short stories around here somewhere, and they're pretty good.

11. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Nay on Ethan Frome and Out of Africa.

Irvine, it's just the BigSoccer effect with the book. If it works in pestering anti-soccer columnists, it must work just as well for book sales.

No problem on the explanation. It was interesting to read anyway.

12. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yes on Ethan Frome.
    No on Out of Africa.

13. LeperKhan

LeperKhan New Member

Aug 10, 2000
    St. Paul, MN
    No for me on both Ethan Frome and Out of Africa.

14. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope on Frome and nope on Africa.