Hamas Attacks, Israel Responds

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Cascarino's Pizzeria, Oct 7, 2023.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It’s not a given that there will be a stampede, it never is. I appreciate your concern, back at you.

2. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    I doubt if the state of Palestine (some sort of Palestinian support group with big hopes and aspirations I expect) thinks that would help much. They probably believe the hostages give them a little leverage in negotiations.

And you may be over estimating hamas and their ability to surrender en masse. Hamas is in large part an ideology, many of their sympathizers and members are kids who've blended back into whats left of their bombed out, starving society. Then there's hamas in the WB, and the hamas leadership which looks pretty dispersed and unlikely to capitulate. its convenient to try to blame hamas for the war crimes Israel is committing every day, but its disingenuous and most of the world isn't buying it.

feyenoordsoccerfan repped this.
  3. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    So we have reached the "I wish the starving populace would behave better" stage of the discussion.

majspike, Nico Limmat, ElNaranja and 4 others repped this.
  4. Raumdeuter

Raumdeuter Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Is it possible for Hamas to release the hostages or Israel still bear the responsibility for that?

So what is Hamas exactly responsible for

luftmensch and Moishe repped this.
  5. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Your words not mine.

6. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Pretty hard (for me at least) to tell what happened from this clip.

But "people with guns getting spooked" is how most massacres happen.

Events like Rabaa and Tianemen are the exception.

7. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    Yes! That's what I've been saying since 10/7. We were all shocked and repulsed by hamas atrocities that day, but Palestinians in Gaza have been living under terrible (and ever worsening) conditions for generations. Every time there's been a flare up of hostilities, Israel made sure Palestinians paid a far dearer price in death and destruction. This is an age old conflict where one party is an armed-to-the-teeth modern day military and nuclear power, the other is a rag tag group of militants, mostly children, a completely defenseless population, pushing back against Israeli oppression, as any self-respecting people would.

Context is everything.

feyenoordsoccerfan, M and mebeSajid repped this.
  8. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Im not sure what the relevance of Israel being a nuclear power or being an armed to the teeth modern military versus a group of rag tag militants.

I’ve asked you and others this question but why should the militants being rag tag matter. It didn’t matter in Vietnam did it? It certainly didn’t hurt the Afghans did it? Iraq ended up being a bigger goat show after it went from hostilities with the army to militants.

Reality is that in this age old conflict, both groups of civilians have been subjected to really awful things. If you disagree then you really are limited in the overall knowledge of this relationship.

It’s hard to discuss proportionality in warfare when nobody can actually define it from a tactical perspective. It’s even harder to responds to militants when as you say, it is an ideology that blends back in…

yasik19, Raumdeuter and luftmensch repped this.
  9. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hamas started the war, in brutal fashion. Hamas is supposedly the governing power in Gaza. If they don’t like how the war they started is going, they can surrender. Maybe not all of their adherents would follow suit, but at least they could try it, rather than just begging Israel to stop retaliating for the actions they undertook. Treating Israel as if they’re the only party with any agency in this is grossly unfair.

Moishe, yasik19 and Raumdeuter repped this.
  10. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    not the only party with any agency. but they hold mostly all the marbles. its a completely one-sided conflict in terms of who holds all the power. its always been incumbent upon Israel to take the initiative to broker a peace. Israel has utterly failed in this regard, their actions have instead been provocative, oppressive and brutal...and it's been going on forever.

context really does matter. we shouldn't pretend this started on 10/7, it would be a complete misread of the situation.

mebeSajid and M repped this.
  11. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    my point is that Palestinians have overwhelmingly suffered the worst in this conflict for generations. The situation pre 10/7 was inhumane and untenable...Israel knew this and yet failed to do everything in its power to achieve peace. It was quite the opposite; Israel was doing nothing. Instead, it was inflaming tensions with constant settlement expansion which encroaches on disputed territories, and it was increasingly removing any hope for a better life for Palestinians with its oppressive stranglehold on Gaza.

Israel knew damn well that nothing was settled and it was only a matter of time before the next round of hostilities which began on 10/7.

M repped this.
  12. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there any off-ramp to this conflict? Neither side seems to want a cease-fire, so where do we go from here?

13. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We’re rehashing stuff from much earlier in this thread now, but if you can’t acknowledge the drastic level of escalation that the 10/7 attacks were then you’re never going to understand why Israel is responding like they are. And yes, some of it relates to cultural trauma that existed before Israel even came into existence.

And regardless of the power imbalance, Hamas IS able to release the hostages and stop fighting. That would be step one in ending this conflict.

Moishe repped this.
  14. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    they could but they’re not going to without achieving concessions Israel is unwilling to make. And so it drags on as it always has with Palestinians paying most dearly only this time it appears the goal is to wipe them out completely once they’ve suffered immeasurably.

15. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    This was my biggest issue since 10/7. While I understand context matters (and in this conflict, the context could go back a thousand years, which prob doesn't help), saying I am repulsed BUT.....completely destroys the initial sentiment. It basically excuses the Hamas action.

Raumdeuter, Moishe and luftmensch repped this.
  16. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    I can see that for the atrocity that it was while also seeing it as the most recent manifestation of a generations old struggle, without excusing it in any way.

17. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Regarding proportionality the basic concept is that Israel has the right to force Hamas' removal from power as a proportional response to the October 7th atrocity. That has been my beginning statement to this war and I see no way that Israel can accept a resolution that will allow Hamas to stay in power.

luftmensch repped this.
  18. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    You don't release hostages unless you get something in return. If Israel can't commit to a permanent cease fire in exchange for the release of hostages, why would they release the hostages ? Just Israel would never give up land in the West Bank for example unless they get something very concrete in return.

19. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    The hostage question is a lot more complex than is reported. I just listened to the latest Call Me Back podcast and the details in the negotiations where the 2 parties can't agree is not the specific # of hostages/prisoners, but their "qualification". Hamas considers many women they are holding IDF soldiers. Israel wants all of them back now. Hamas (b/c of what I stated in the last sentence) demands specific type of prisoners exchanged for the women/soldiers. They want who Israelis consider "with blood on their hands", and do not want to exchange the high number of these aforementioned prisoners, but either fewer or more of the other type of Palestinians (not with blood on their hands). So this is where the complexity of the swap really exists.

celito and luftmensch repped this.
  20. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    From reading your recent posts, you asking Israel for concessions is actually expecting to capitulate. You’ll refuse to see it but to me it is clear as day. My perspective is that Israel is doing what they’re for their citizens. Hamas is doing what they do in spite of their citizens.

Like a broken record, at some point Hamas is going to have to accept that what they are doing is only cause greater trauma to the people they represent. Israel will not back down, many of truly understand from our elders what Begin said about no longer being Jews with trembling knees.

Raumdeuter and luftmensch repped this.
  21. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    And Israel could stop building in the occupied territories. That would be step zero in ending this conflict. Instead, it is further inflaming the situation by announcing more “settlement” building and turning a blind eye to violence there against Palestinians.

22. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    what Israel is doing (and has been doing for years and years, really) is indefensible and criminal.

Our perspectives are different of course, I’m looking at this as an objective outsider, this has much deeper personal significance for you…

…on a basic humanitarian level though I find what Israel is doing in Gaza offensive, far more so now than ever, but I felt that way long before 10/7 tbh.

23. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with that, but has that actually been on the table? I haven’t been keeping up on all the details, but as I recall Hamas was demanding release of Israeli held prisoners as well.

24. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That should stop as well, but it’s a separate issue that needs to be worked out after the fighting in Gaza is ended and hostages are released.

Moishe repped this.
  25. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a separate offer. They've made multiple offers of a permanent ceasefire in exchange for the Israeli hostages. That was refused by Israel. It's obviously not about the hostages or Hamas, but the land/resources. It's been made abundantly clear. Officials have at times said the hostages aren't a priority (while bombing where they are indiscriminately) and that defeating Hamas this way is an unachievable goal (and they're killing 95% civilians).

Heck, I'd suspect all the participants in Oct. 7th would turn themselves in if they not only got the permanent ceasefire, but a state by the 1967 borders, which almost the entire UN supports every year when they vote on the solution to the Palestine-Israel question. All the governing bodies of Palestine support that. Netanyahu has said he doesn't support any state for Palestinians, and the closest they've ever gotten is Rabin saying they'd get "less than a state". They want to expand (Greater Israel) perpetually, not contract, or even maintain. That's happened piecemeal with the settlements, and at times in chunks like now, 1948, or 1967.