Hamas Attacks, Israel Responds

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Cascarino's Pizzeria, Oct 7, 2023.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Interesting tweet from former Hamas member Mosab Hasan Yousef, one of two sons of a Hamas co-founder to reject Hamas - in his case so completely that he later became an agent for the Shin Bet.

How Postwar Gaza might look like,
    By then most of Gaza's infrastructure will be destroyed.
    The post-war power transition will be the most dangerous and challenging period for the lack of governing authority.
    Unlike previous conflicts, this time Israel will not be obligated to provide any aid to Gaza.
    Donors will have a logistical problem in their effort to rebuild Gaza without Israel's support.
    Israel will not allow Gazan labor into its territory which was the main pillar of the Gazan economy.
    Hamas hunt will continue for a long period without a permanent ceasefire.
    The fleeing forces of Hamas will have to pay their debt to their opponents in Gaza.
    Lack of local government, assassinations, tribal vengeance, disease and extreme poverty could lead to a CIVIL WAR.
    All credit goes to Hamas

TyffaneeSue, luftmensch, Moishe and 2 others repped this.
  2. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    A Palestinian in Gaza right now should be given leeway. Depending on what's happened to his family and friends or what he's seen on a given day I'd say that he be given a lot of leeway, even if it's only on a "he's suffered too much" precautionary principle basis.

Not sure I'd give much leeway to someone who keeps repeating, if not insisting, that he was "murdered" despite knowing little or nothing about how he was killed, what he did or didn't do offline and maybe hadn't even heard of him before Oct., all from the comfort of several thousand miles of distance.

That's because he had suffered. Grievously. You haven't.

Moishe, yasik19 and edcalvi repped this.
  3. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    As I say, it looked to me like they were simply being childish and didn't want to give her the 'win'.

4. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we should remember that most Hamas "fighters" have little or no actual experience with combat. Certainly, very few of them have ever encountered a modern, combined arms military assault like they're experiencing now. Most of them were basically engaged in military cosplay. The reality of what they're experiencing now is different from what they were sold when they signed up for Hamas.

DoyleG repped this.
  5. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wharton business school's board is calling for the U. of Penn president to resign. That's big, because Wharton grads are big donors to Penn (not surprisingly). Let's see if she survives the week.

6. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm not sure what he's talking about there.

It's not 'accurate'. It's Inaccurate which is why at least one of them has now said that calling for genocide of ANY group would be against their student policies, (or whatever the phrase was).

If someone says it depends on the context I'd suggest they have to come up with a scenario, (or context if you prefer), where it WOULD be acceptable and, frankly, nothing comes to mind.

TyffaneeSue and edcalvi repped this.
  7. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    read his piece. He explains why you are incorrect.

8. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    On the flip, most Israeli college kids/soldiers don't have tunnel fighting experience which makes conventional fighting more difficult

9. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  10. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    How did YOU think it would turn out, since you added that sentence as if you expected Ken White and Reason to come to a different conclusion?

One post earlier...
    I guess maybe you didn't read the whole position of Reason, nor are you familiar with the entire body of work of organizations like Reason (or indeed FIRE, who has suddenly come to be a situational ally of yours).

11. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I did read it. It's rubbish and mainly consists of confusing the legal description and response with the rules applied by private institutions of their student body. Most of the examples he gives are either quite plainly antisemitic or are trying to detail a quite ridiculous 'context' where none exists. None of them are that complicated, (although he seems to have got some of them wrong even then).

All of which, of course, is why that college leader backed off her previous statement.

edcalvi repped this.
  12. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's probably fairer to say that BOTH are pretty appalling acts.

13. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Like the daily hate-mail attacking the BBC. Just having a pop at the competition.

14. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What'a particularly annoying is that the multi billion dollar megaphone from the right is somehow equivalent to a few libruls holding forth in the grauniad.

I've said it before but it's worth repeating.

Watching what's happening with donny tiny hands and Biden it's perfectly obvious America is going to 'first amendment' itself into fascism pretty soon. Maybe THEN they'll realise that this quasi-religious fascination they have with 'free speech', (as long as you're rich), probably ISN'T such a great idea.

15. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Out of the 300,000 at the first London rally there were a dozen or so people arrested for having signs that were clearly pro-hamas. Most of the other stuff it has to be 'interpreted', a bit like reading the runes or examining chicken entrails. Best done by an expert or 'Muslim whisperer'.

Deadtigers, tomásbernal and mebeSajid repped this.
  16. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Reason's sole instance of "Pro-Israel activism" being suppressed isn't all that persuasive: yes, one professor was suspended because selectively edited a video to distort the comments in question and that professor at USC should not have been suspended.

That's a far cry from the systemic crackdown on pro-Palestinian activism: student groups have been banned, permission to hold events have been revoked, and more.

Deadtigers and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  17. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I suppose it must be hard to indulge a fascist like her.

18. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Exactly! You give leeway to the people under bombardment, not to the people making wisecracks about their deaths.

And, from the head of Euro-Med Human Rights Monitor:

19. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    i won’t be subscribing to your constitutional law substack just yet dude

Deadtigers and Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  20. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Your loss :D

21. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The only question mark I have about that is... he was STILL carrying his phone with him? Was that wise?

22. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Belief in conspiracy theories" is very, very broad. There are many of them, and I'm a firm believer that some are legit, some certainly may be but there's not (yet, anyway) enough to prove them, and others are demonstrably false. The Holocaust is one specific thing that some people believe is a myth. And that one is demonstrably false. But holding the belief that a government is hiding information on extraterrestrial visitation to Earth doesn't mean that person also thinks the Holocaust is a lie.

23. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If she loses her job, it'll be because she pissed off the people who are, essentially, the equity investors in the company she runs.

TyffaneeSue repped this.
  24. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    edcalvi repped this.
  25. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, I was more making the general point that people all SORTS of dumb shit.