Hamas Attacks, Israel Responds

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Cascarino's Pizzeria, Oct 7, 2023.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Joking about an unarmed college professor being murdered says more about you than about him.

And the QT was him sarcastically pointing out that the allegation in question (a baby in an oven) had been debunked.

charlie15, majspike and Deadtigers repped this.
  2. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    We really need to haul UCLAs 1973 president before Congress for allowing this!

Auriaprottu and Deadtigers repped this.
  3. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Deadtigers repped this.
  4. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His sarcastically pointing that out was still in really poor taste given all the things that Hamas actually did do.

Naughtius Maximus, Moishe and edcalvi repped this.
  5. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    It is not about living in this sub forum. It is about that you are so blinded by your bias, you have fallen for the most simple gimmick play. And you seem to be a man that should know better but have willing chosen to not do so.

6. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Looking at the rest of the guy's tweets, it was hardly sarcastic.

Allah wasn't certainly amused either.

Moishe and edcalvi repped this.
  7. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    False. It has not been debunked. The question was whether the baby was placed in the oven to hide by parents from Hamas before the house was burned down or whether Hamas did it. Given no witnesses have survived, it's impossible to say. The baby in the oven is accurate.

8. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    You generally give people who are under heavy bombardment a little bit more leeway in the things they say, no?

Unless that person is a saint, a Palestinian in Gaza is going to absolutely loathe Israel and they will have compelling reasons to do so.

9. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely loathing Israel’s government I understand; the kind of loathing it would take to perform the acts against ordinary Israelis that took place on 10/7 I do not. Unless of course there’s something more to that loathing than just the actions of Israel.

The Irish Rover, Moishe, edcalvi and 3 others repped this.
  10. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    We're talking about a college professor who made a joke that was in bad taste! And he was murdered today along with his entire family.

Deadtigers and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  11. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guess he’s going to have to stand before his maker and account for his words and actions.

Wonder how that will go for him.

12. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assumed from that joke that he supported Hamas’ actions.

13. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

edcalvi repped this.
  14. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    He clearly did from both his retweet and tweets.

luftmensch and yasik19 repped this.
  15. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Not quite.

16. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    The fact that known grifter Bari Weiss is riding the university thing like a horse is LOL. But not surprising.

17. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    #7817 The Jitty Slitter, Dec 8, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2023
    Someone needs to create the flow chart of this grift

Remember it all started that conservative voices were being suppressed on campus (often because they were bigots, misogynists etc etc). But now, in a surprise to no one Bari wants to ignore 1A to suppress voices she doesn't like - just like Ron

I'm actually in favour of a harder line on speech - see for example Taylor Lorenz's work on how Libsoftiktok/tucker unleash mobs of misogny/antisemitism/bigotry/threats of violence on journalists, educators, activists etc. But not on this bad faith basis.

I've come around to the views of Masnick and co. Sure it would be great if we could reduce the amount of threatening behaviour hiding behind free speech but i certainly don't trust the current political class on that mission.

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  18. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    #7818 The Jitty Slitter, Dec 8, 2023
    Reason take the same line as Ken White when it comes to 1A, law, and campus policy. This won't turn out how you think it will. (Florida being the most obvious example)

Personally I feel the same way with bans elsewhere. The pro-hamas elements at palestine rallies is shocking. But for the police to simply ban Palestinian groups from assembling? IMO it's not constitutional and not a great precedent (see bans on climate groups). Especially if I were a minority, I would be all in against this.

Congress Shouldn't Encourage College Presidents To Censor Even More Speech
    Both pro-Israel and pro-Palestinian activism has been suppressed on campuses.

https://reason.com/2023/12/06/harvard-mit-penn-presidents-speech-israel-palestine/

19. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Bari Weiss' vision of a college campus is one where queer, trans, Muslim, ... kids are harassed and threatened with impunity, so this latest chapter is shameless in its hypocrisy.

mebeSajid and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  20. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Sure - white nationalism is the through line.

Belgian guy repped this.
  21. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Let's check in on the tankies! Oh. I guess their "work" on Ukraine is done. Now they can focus on coded antisemitism. Or the uncoded stuff!

Screenshot 2023-12-08 at 10.25.46.png

22. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    #7822 The Jitty Slitter, Dec 8, 2023
    Back in October, I posted here that America First meant Israel last. But I was told it was too early to talk about it.

You might say I am being more than usually uncharitable in this post. That’s because I think people falling for Stefanik’s gambit have been more than usually gullible. They’ve become useful idiots for evil. They’ve become the dupes of people who will wave the banner of “fight antisemitism” while pushing Great Replacement Theory. They’ve become the patsies of people who transparently want to use Jews as an instrument and excuse to suppress speech they don’t like. They’ve become the creatures of cynical, dishonest politicians who want to treat hard things like they are simple to rile up mobs. [...]

None of that is solved by pretending hard questions are easy. None of that is solved by letting demagogues and hucksters take advantage of the moment to push their agenda. None of that is solved by contributing to what America is becoming — stupider and meaner.
    Idiots for evil.

23. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Maybe, but I'd argue that this is still pretty significant and possibly very significant for two possible reasons:

Possibility 1:
    Hamas (or PIJ, etc.) fighters and auxiliaries have started surrendering which means that after 2 months of hunkering down in the tunnels, supplies are running low or that the internal Gazan debate - "it really is different this time. They're going to the end" - is affecting morale. The footsoldiers - not all of whom are fanatics - have simply decided that their signing up included the possibility of dying in a tunnel, not the certainty of it.
    Most of them (two-thirds or more) are fighters or auxiliaries and the fight is going out of "the resistance", as it does in any armed group, and the "conquer Gaza" phase may have only weeks to go.

Possibility 2:
    The numbers have been padded (50 to 70%) with ordinary guys from a random sweep or a search for sources of information, with the puffed-up visuals being deliberately publicized to boost the war effort. That strongly suggests things are not going well, maybe even badly, and that Israel's "window of permission" is closing without worthwhile results.
    Since Israel has a very vigorous and free press, to put it mildly, that's not a good move: social media and facial recognition software will identify plenty in a week or two and their anodyne or outright innocent backgrounds will follow quickly. The backlash will be harsh, and that's just internationally. Within Israel, it'll be ferocious and from all angles.

If we see more of these in the coming weeks, it's likely to be the first option. Doing the other one more than a handful of times is just too risky.

luftmensch and yasik19 repped this.
  24. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Very good article by Rosenberg on all the categories of jew hate we are seeing.

How to Be Anti-Semitic and Get Away With It

Too many communities have developed ways to excuse or otherwise ignore prejudice.
    By Yair Rosenberg

Out of 8 billion people on the planet, there are only 16 million Jews—but far, far more anti-Semites. I sometimes joke that if I had fewer scruples, I wouldn’t report on anti-Jewish prejudice; I’d contract myself out to the more numerous and better-resourced bigots, and help them get away with it. Because in more than a decade covering anti-Semitism, I have become a reluctant expert in all the ways that anti-Jewish activists obfuscate their hate.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/a...tism-israel-gaza-celebrity-statements/676232/

Belgian guy repped this.
  25. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #7825 The Irish Rover, Dec 8, 2023
    "Sarcastically"? If you didn't know him personally or aren't a student of his literary style, that's just an assertion on your part. OTOH if you are a student of his literature, please point me to examples and I'll be happy to correct myself.

As for him being "murdered", in combat, that applies only if he was targeted by soldiers who a) knew who he was, b) that he was unarmed and c) not a member of any militant group. Otherwise he's a casualty in a war. War is an unimaginable evil, whose only justification is that it's sometimes the lesser evil. Let's take it seriously.

And since you're unlikely to be in Gaza at the moment, let alone have been on the scene when he was killed, you have no idea whether he was armed or unarmed either.

TyffaneeSue and luftmensch repped this.