Hamas Attacks, Israel Responds

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Cascarino's Pizzeria, Oct 7, 2023.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    #7751 Deadtigers, Dec 7, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2023
    You must have been fun in college.

Sound like a parent that will gladly send your kid to the New College.

Scissorkick Collins repped this.
  2. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The way I’ve read it is that stanger has been looking at this primarily through the lens of Israelis who have just suffered a horrific attack, and his take on the situation is more a description of his understanding regarding their actions rather than a personal value judgment. And that can come across as callous to somebody primarily seeing this through the lens of the Palestinian civilians who are currently suffering.

edcalvi, superdave, Deadtigers and 3 others repped this.
  3. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    dana-carvey-isnt-that-special.gif

What have you learned from this experience, yasik19?

Deadtigers repped this.
  4. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Wait, you mean you can attempt to understand another's position/actions without endorsing them?

AMAZEBALLS!

I wonder what other recent conflicts for which that may apply?

On the other hand, I think you may be giving quite a lot of undue credit specifically here.

5. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The people interfering with the flyers are being pretty terrible. Let those grieving grieve.

Deadtigers repped this.
  6. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    #7756 Cascarino's Pizzeria, Dec 7, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2023
    "IDF confirms" :ROFLMAO:

Many terrorist groups store their weapons in the building marked "WEAPONS DEPOT"

What we need from the IDF 2 months later is - where dafuq were they the morning, afternoon and evening of 10/7 as Israelis were chased down, beaten, raped, murdered & abducted for hours and hours? Is it still too soon for answers?

7. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm still waiting on the IDF to produce the ten story office building they alleged was under Al Shifa Hospital. They spent a week ransacking it (they sacked a hospital!) and all they could produce was some guns with rust on them.

Deadtigers, GalaxyBowl and charlie15 repped this.
  8. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could be.

Scissorkick Collins repped this.
  9. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    In general, I take both Hamas and IDF confirmations at face value. There is an amazing amount in which they are generally in agreement. When they are in disagreement I dig deeper.

Deadtigers repped this.
  10. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I do the opposite: I discount them and require corroboration of all claims that either Hamas or the IDF make. Both have been caught lying and fabricating evidence far too many times.

11. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had a lot of fun in college. But, academia wasn't as radicalized back in the '90's, and college students weren't afraid of hearing differing opinions. In law school, different student groups with differing ideologies would work together to bring in interesting speakers to discuss topics like affirmative action in a cordial, adult environment where people didn't shout down opinions they disagreed with. Does that sound better or worse than the climate on campuses these days, in your opinion?

I had to look up New College. Seems okay, I guess. Kind of small, but if my kids wanted to go there for some reason, I wouldn't be opposed.

12. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Yes or No! Are you against yes or no questions?

13. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Maybe?

superdave, tomásbernal and Deadtigers repped this.
  14. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Timon has an ax to grind with my hatred of Trump.

Pay him no mind.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  15. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    That I'm as smart and courageous (but slightly less successful) than the CEO of Pfizer.

edcalvi repped this.
  16. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Not exactly.

superdave, tomásbernal and bigredfutbol repped this.
  17. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    As one of many regulars here over the years, you might want to reflect upon how and when you join in this mockery of a tactic that has been so common here.

majspike and Moishe repped this.
  18. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    1732830120027607314 is not a valid tweet id

So a mere mention of the fact that insufficient supplies are reaching the Gaza population is now also considered unacceptable rhetoric?

Yeah, seems like the folks stuck there have plenty of food. :cautious:

Deadtigers, charlie15 and Mike03 repped this.
  19. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm assuming that his issue is your characterization of Trump supporters rather than the man himself?

(Not that I would necessarily disagree with you, if so).

20. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a bad-faith reading. It's clear that they're saying that it's wrong to suggest that Israel is just arbitrarily cutting supplies to civilians without acknowledging that Hamas controls access and distribution.

Raumdeuter, edcalvi, superdave and 4 others repped this.
  21. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    FWIW, Gazans themselves are claiming that Hamas is behind various cases of appropriation. I believe I posted videos from a local source just yesterday.

22. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is it, exactly?

23. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, it’s more that he considers Trump just another politician and doesn’t see the danger in his reelection.

superdave and bigredfutbol repped this.
  24. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    if you wanted a textbook example of dehumanising of others, you couldn't find a better example. One can almost imagine similar things being done by nazis in the 1940's.

tomásbernal repped this.
  25. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Considering today is beginning of Hanukkah (Chanukah), posting the article below.
    https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/07/us/celebrating-hanukkah-israel-hamas-war-cec/index.html
    How a war thousands of miles away is changing the way some Americans celebrate Hanukkah

But a few weeks ago, the 75-year-old romance writer had a sobering realization. She caught a glimpse of the menorah from across her kitchen, and she did something she never imagined she’d have to: She moved it inside, where only she can see it.

“I didn’t want to put myself at risk,” she says. “I feel bad about it. But I think you have to be practical and see what’s happening these days and protect yourself.”

Across the country in Seattle, Richard Sills is doing something he’s never done as an adult.

It’s been decades since his family kept a menorah in the window when he was a boy. This year, for the first time, the 70-year-old decided to display one in the window of his own home.

“I want to stand up for my heritage … and for all Jews,” he says. “I want to do the opposite of hide.”

Sills says he was shaken by antisemitic chants and signs during recent protests on the streets of Seattle. And news that someone sent suspicious packages with white powder to synagogues in the area was also chilling.

“It does hit close to home,” Sills says. “But it makes me more determined not to hide, not to be afraid but to stand with all my Jewish family around the world.”

With so many things out of his control, Sills says he finds strength in his decision to place a menorah in the window.

“It’s empowering,” he says.

....She had plans to go all-out for Hanukkah this year. She wanted to put blue and white lights on the balcony and festive decals on the windows.

But now, she says, she’s too afraid of drawing unwanted attention. Even living in a largely Jewish neighborhood hasn’t made her feel safer. She sees the synagogue nearby and worries outward displays of faith would make their home a target, too, if someone decides to attack the synagogue and spots signs of Judaism represented in their window down the street.

It’s a painful realization, Katz says.

“And it doesn’t just hurt for me. I hurt for the Palestinian and Muslim communities, too. … If you look back at both of our cultures’ histories, we don’t have an easy time. It’s filled with a lot of war and a lot of bloodshed and slavery and all these terrible things,” Katz says. “I don’t see the point in it. I don’t see the point in why we all have to make each other hurt.”

For now, Katz has put the menorah and dreidels on display inside her house.

She hopes next year the world will feel safer so she can share their beauty with her neighbors, too.