Hamas Attacks, Israel Responds

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Cascarino's Pizzeria, Oct 7, 2023.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is truly dumb and dumber category.......I am losing some brain cells reading some "comments" here.

Deadtigers and Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  2. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    I don't know why you and Jitty think I'm tying myself to her. I simply linked a video from her tweet (first instance of it I saw) to a question and answer I found abhorrent to say the least. Saying or implying I'm trying to tie myself to her is like saying any of those democrats who said the answer (or lack there of) of the presidents was appalling are also tying themselves to her.

3. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Check your PMs.

The Jitty Slitter and mebeSajid repped this.
  4. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Demanding a yes or no answer to an incomplete hypothetical on a complex issue is pro-ignorance, pro-dishonesty, pro-civic-illiteracy.

ElNaranja, Deadtigers, charlie15 and 2 others repped this.
  5. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Interesting reading the article that's linked there...

On Wednesday evening, Ms. Magill apologized for her testimony.
    “In that moment, I was focused on our university’s longstanding policies aligned with the U.S. Constitution, which say that speech alone is not punishable,” she said in a video. “I was not focused on, but I should have been, the irrefutable fact that a call for genocide of Jewish people is a call for some of the most terrible violence human beings can perpetrate. It’s evil — plain and simple.”

It's what I said.

She'd got a feather up her arse about being questioned by a fascist, (which I get), and threw a hissy fit instead of just answering the damn question.

edcalvi repped this.
  6. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm more in the form of an interested amateur but I agree :D

mebeSajid repped this.
  7. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get that is possible to read into my posts if you are already looking for a reason to see it.

My opinion from the beginning has been the way Hamas does what they do is to maximize civilian death to garner international condemnation, which people have been all too ready to do.

All death should be condemned, especially when it is a vulnerable civilian population, but the blame is being improperly placed 100% on the IDF.

edcalvi, TyffaneeSue and luftmensch repped this.
  8. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Let's be honest m8, if you're anything like me you didn't have a lot to spare :D

Deadtigers and charlie15 repped this.
  9. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    The issue for American Jews is that they find that they are being excluded from Intersectionality talks by a misuse of Intersectionality itself.

See https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/intersectionality-and-israel#_edn15

The basic issue here is that, once again, someone has waded in to a complex scenario and sorted everyone in to good guy/bad guy bins or, rather, oppressor/oppressed bins.

Intersectionality is meant to be a tool for analysis but it has somehow become a magic wand that we wave to excuse our biases.

Deadtigers repped this.
  10. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    kens a bit too libertarian for my taste but he does a good job of pointing out the actual law

Deadtigers and charlie15 repped this.
  11. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm not saying THAT'S tying yourself to her but if you're not prepared to recognise she's a liar and right-wing shill, that most definitely would be.

That's why I asked, specifically, do you recognise what she is?

Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  12. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    As Dave has pointed out several times this video format is intentionally deceptive.

13. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    I want to move on from this, but it seems you focus more on the who and the how and I'm focusing on the what. Also, in the current social media climate and news cycle, these formats (twitter videos) are most common.

edcalvi, celito and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  14. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    charlie15, stanger and luftmensch repped this.
  15. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In fairness, the "what" cannot be fully segregated from the "how". The format/editing/context are all part of the message beyond the literal content.

Deadtigers, Mike03 and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  16. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    While some of the extremist elements of the Israeli right (and Netanyahu's government) may see it this way, I doubt that most of the people making the decisions genuinely think that they can permanently displace several million people.

My general sense is that Israel's government saw a need for an immediate and massive response (partly due to public opinion and the horror of the attacks, and partly to avoid scrutiny for their own failure to prevent them). So, they opted for something similar to what they'd done in previous Gaza incursions, but on a much larger scale. Their declared general goals of eliminating the political power and military threat of Hamas probably weren't accompanied by a clear plan for what that would mean in the medium and long term, and they're trying to figure that out as they go along.

Deadtigers, TyffaneeSue, stanger and 2 others repped this.
  17. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    This video is soooo problematic and genocidal. Today is the start of Hannukah which celebrates the recovery of the Temple and Jerusalem. The mitzvah cited is in Deut. 25:19 but mistranslated to twist the meaning to straight up genocide.

The primary issue is that equating Gazans to Amalek is unwarranted and has no support in Torah. Translating "zeker" to seed or descendance is a further unwarranted extrapolation. The correct translation would be remembrance.

18. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Wait - you mean the University President's answered the question correctly that context and conduct matter?

And riddle me this. Only last week, Donald Trump caused a judge's clerk to receive 100s of antisemitic, death and rape threats - was there a Stefanik video about that?

ElNaranja, Deadtigers, charlie15 and 4 others repped this.
  19. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The refusal of too many on the Left to recognize that our own side is far from free of antisemitism should not be an excuse for the media to continue to ignore how pervasive it's become on the Right.

Deadtigers, celito and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  20. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Where I disagree is leadership on the left has pushed back against it, whereas on the right, a vast permission structure has been created from the TFG on down

As Ben Rhodes noted, it's Musk's conspiracy that got his family killed. Musk has built the largest antisemitism platform ever created.

This doesn't exist on the left. No one can seriously believe the Uni Presidents are encouraging genocide or antisemitisim. The smearing of the black president gives the game away

21. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't disagree.

charlie15 and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  22. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    This is an Argentina-Israeli account reporting that a major Hamas group has been captured. IDF still does not confirm.

IDF has confirmed that a major weapons cache has been captured

edcalvi, celito, TyffaneeSue and 2 others repped this.
  23. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    The defense department has supplied Israel of how many weapons and how much military aid? Call me crazy but he might know a thing or two about fighting lost battle and having too much of a Rush of blood to the Head in decision making.

He's calling out this idea of fighting to win and what does that mean and what does that look like and the long-term ramifications of fighting to win.

24. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    You've stated you do not have a number or do not know what you deem to be too much. So although it's a shame these women and children are dying it is hamas's fault that has brought this upon them and you cannot give a number as to at which point there will be too many innocent deaths for you to be okay for the continued War by Israel but all in defense of 10/7 and those atrocities must be avenged.

25. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    When people post something like missing flyers of kidnap victims in Israel it's not like I'm going to see them and call the number. It is an attempt to let you know of the horror and the pain that is going on out there and I respect and I understand that you want to keep that in people's minds that's why your place in those flyers up. I would say if you disagree with it or want to counter that message then put up a flyer of the Dead in Gaza or some of the damage done by the Israeli Army in Gaza. If you tear it down then it looks like you don't care or you're happy at the kidnapping. Covering it up with something is more showing I prioritize something else.

We have a Grief-off and it is a battle for the hearts and minds of onlookers as to who you support and why.

edcalvi, Raumdeuter and yasik19 repped this.