Hamas Attacks, Israel Responds

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Cascarino's Pizzeria, Oct 7, 2023.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, nose. But face needs to be taught a lesson.

2. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think refusing to vote for someone who greenlit:
    • ethnic cleansing,
    • the destruction of a city that housed a million people,
    • the making of nearly two million people homeless,
    • the murder of well over ten thousand people, and
    • the murder of more children in two months than were killed in all other armed conflicts over the last five years combined
    is entirely proper. If the alternative is worse? So be it. I certainly can't vote for someone who did that.

3. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So who is it you’re not voting for, Netanyahu? Because even if Biden had the ability to “greenlight” those actions, I don’t recall him doing so.

4. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I will tell them what I would tell anyone disillusioned with Biden. He will listen and adjust. I know if 1000 people flood my local Congressman's office will calls, that will go up the chain to Prince Hakeem and he will take take that to the administration who will take that into consideration of how they interact. You think Trump and his people will care?

5. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Just listened to this podcast. Can't say it was super surprising to me, but it definitely confirmed certain assumptions I've had about the coverage of this conflict.
    [The Dispatch Podcast] When Journalists Go Along with Hamas | Interview: Matti Friedman #theDispatchPodcast
    https://podcastaddict.com/the-dispatch-podcast/episode/167569618 via @PodcastAddict

Or here

https://thedispatch.com/podcast/dispatch-podcast/when-journalists-go-along-with-hamas/

Author and journalist Matti Friedman was working for the Associated Press when he noticed a persistent bias in coverage: For the Western media, the story of the region was a simple narrative of good and evil, and Israel was cast as villain. Matti joins Jamie to discuss how this narrative formed and whether there's hope for serious journalism in such a conflict.

edcalvi, Dr. Wankler and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  6. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS

This journalism is quite serious...

"We cannot and must not look away from what is happening in Gaza. Half its population was forced from the north by merciless bombardment; now the Israel Defense Forces’ attacks upon the south have intensified and dozens of tanks have entered. Adults and children alike anticipate their deaths. More than 15,900 people in Gaza have been killed already, the vast majority of them women and children, according to Palestinian officials. Israel’s prime minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, has directed the military to act with “increasing force” in its pursuit of Hamas, this time facing an even larger, denser population in even more desperate circumstances."

The Guardian view on Gaza’s devastation: don’t look away. See the bigger picture too | Editorial | The Guardian

tomásbernal and charlie15 repped this.
  7. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If a podcast episode in Jonah Goldberg's retirement home for Weekly Standard alumni, featuring Matti Friedman (who blamed unarmed Palestinians for their own deaths when they were shot by Israeli snipers) convinces you that coverage is biased, that suggests that the slightest breeze would have convinced you.

8. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I am sorry, did he just start covering news in the last two months.?

All due respect dude but I can't take this post seriously.. This is the first time that coverage is not in lock step with Israel government and this dude wants to play the victim card!?! FOH!!

9. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Or, you know, you could try to keep an open mind and listen to/read a variety of sources. It can be helpful to get out of the echo chamber, at least once in a while.

edcalvi, yasik19 and stanger repped this.
  10. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    They must have listened to it on 10x speed and already heard it all. When all else fails, attack the poster or attack the source. MO of this forum.

edcalvi and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  11. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    If you actually bothered to listen to it, you'd know he has been covering this conflict for many years, both as an AP journalist and as an independent. You don't have to agree with him, and he barely talks about the specific coverage of the latest conflict (10/7), but you quickly disregard it as some strawmen. If you don't want to bother and listen to it, then at least be fair and don't comment on the actual podcast.

12. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    The situation is serious is not the same as serious journalism.

13. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I went with the epilogue you provided and from there I made me decision. I can't be responsible for making a decision on a preview you provided.

14. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    :D This was unintentionally funny.

Moishe repped this.
  15. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    Israel-Hamas war live: Fear grips southern Gaza amid Israeli bombardment | Israel-Palestine conflict News | Al Jazeera

"UN warns of even more ‘hellish scenario’ unfolding in Gaza

The UN reports that Israel launched one of its heaviest air, land and sea bombardments of the Gaza Strip over Sunday and Monday, killing at least 349 Palestinians and injuring more than 750, according to the territory’s health ministry.

With Israeli ground operations now focused on southern Gaza, conditions “do not exist” to deliver aid, the UN’s humanitarian coordinator for the occupied Palestinian territories Lynn Hastings said, warning that “an even more hellish scenario” is about to unfold in the Palestinian enclave, according the UN’s latest Gaza assessment.

The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs also reports:

• Rafah was the only location in Gaza where limited aid – flour and water – was distributed on Monday, while distributions in nearby Khan Younis have all but ceased due to the intensity of fighting.
    • Tens of thousands of Palestinians fleeing Khan Younis for Rafah have nowhere to stay and are camping in the streets and other outdoor areas “where they erect tents and makeshift shelters”.
    • All telecommunication services in Gaza were cut on Monday evening and aid organisations fear the lack of communications will further hamper the provision of “life-saving assistance”."

serious journalism?

Deadtigers, charlie15 and M repped this.
  16. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    It’s deployed on putins knob

Ah Jonah.

I wondered what he was up to these days. Is he still doing his thing of pretending to be against trump while raging against the left at every opportunity?

Deadtigers, luftmensch and charlie15 repped this.
  17. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    As it happens in 2017, Jonah Goldberg was one of the people I followed 'to get out of my echo chamber'. I'm all too familiar with his line of work.

18. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    As my uncle one explained to me, the point of voting is to zero out the vote of one nazi

19. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    You know Miller went to the NYT and announced the plan to send 10m US residents to deportation camps right? Do you think you ultimately won't be one of them?

Isn't the smarter thing to do to work within a democratic framework to change US policy? If you get Mango Mussolini back in, he'll just sit down with fellow crooks Bibi and Putin and do the most horrific stuff you can imagine.

20. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV

So this is kind of consistent with my feeling that the post-operational vision is of a Gaza largely devoid of Palestinians.

mebeSajid, tomásbernal and charlie15 repped this.
  21. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    This is the part that has just got so tiresome. Joe could have sat back in DC, offered platitudes, and the same shit would be happening, because Joe does not control Israel's domestic politics, or the IDF

That doesn't mean i am not critical of US support but it is clear the US is not actually happy with the conduct of this war

luftmensch repped this.
  22. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I don't think the promise of a hellish life under Trump will work on people for whom the situation is already horrific. Like the lady who organized for Biden in 2020 but had now lost 60 relatives in Gaza.

tomásbernal and Ahmadi8 repped this.
  23. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    If you want a more progressive, inclusive country, you have to vote in more inclusive, progressive politicians.

I am also not happy with local leadership. But the idea this means I should acquiesce to the AfD winning is laughably dumb. I've seen the posters in the small towns. I am on the deportation list most def.

The Muslim community needs to exercise it's electoral power. If they acquiesce to fascism, there will be no more elections in the US, and the next genocide will be on them. Trump already announced it!

edcalvi repped this.
  24. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Goose stepping is an interesting choice of words to associate with Jews.

25. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    [​IMG]

When you work for Der Spiegel and post stuff that would be embarrassing even for a Bild reporter.