Hamas Attacks, Israel Responds II

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Mar 5, 2024.

1. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I haven't followed in detail, but from I can tell, there are student protestors on campus and non-student protestors outside just by one entrance where IDs are being scanned for students and presumably faculty. I am not familiar with the setup in terms of access to the campus (single vs multiple access points), just gathering from what I saw from a news report video.

As for the professor, I find it strange that he'd have to find that out by swiping his card trying to access campus. One would think that they would have communicated this to him ahead of time.

2. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This link has more examples of the “pro-Palestine” protests.

Jews, Jews

That protester probably just misspoke and meant something else, I imagine.

“All you do is colonize.” — probably thought the Jews were Israelis.

“Go back to Europe.” — guess not.

“Hamas, release the hostages!” — just kidding, no reports that a single protester said this.

luftmensch and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  3. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Although they have "Jewish" in their name, JVP is not a Jewish group, but rather, run by antisemites hiding behind their name.

4. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Of note, there is video and photos of a professor allegedly fired according to the Columbia president hanging with the protesters on campus.

5. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These types of actions have become despairingly common in the US since Trump arrived on the scene. It’s affecting the mindset of both extremes; once one incident pushes the envelope, someone else comes along the next week to push it w little bit more. It’s the death of democracy by 1000 cuts.

Kazuma, BocaFan and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  6. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I condemn this

7. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, also because I thought being a student at an Ivy League school was difficult and involved a lot of work. :confused: How these students have so much time on their hands to devote to what is just 1 of about two dozen on-going conflicts in the world seems odd.
    Well, unless they aren't students of Columbia at all or I'm so old that being a student involves dramatically less work than many moons ago.

Dr. Wankler, Moishe and yasik19 repped this.
  8. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    JVP is most certainly a Jewish group, run by a group of American Jews opposed to the policies of the State of Israel.
    JVP was formed in 1996 by Julie Iny, Rachel Eisner and Julia Caplan,[10] undergraduate students at UC Berkeley.[11] Members of the advisory board include Tony Kushner, Sarah Schulman, Judith Butler, Noam Chomsky, Naomi Klein, and Wallace Shawn

tomásbernal repped this.
  9. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    So he wasn't trying to just access the campus, he was trying to set up a pro-Israel / counter protest ... which he was told he could do at the Math lawn, presumably away from the pro-Palestine protest ... but he took it as being 1938 all over again. University is obviously trying to avoid more tension as they aren't equipped to deal with an escalation.

10. Mmmm, criticize Israel(i policies) and you're an ant-semite.
    I would like to see anti-semitic stuff from that group linked to see if the accusation a few posts ago is real.
    Edit: that JVP group

11. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Depending on one's degree, this may actually count as course work. :D

majspike, yasik19, BocaFan and 1 other person repped this.
  12. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What made you think that?

majspike and luftmensch repped this.
  13. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Dunno what it was like 25 years ago, but it's been coopted by non-Jewish extremists.
    https://blogs.timesofisrael.com/jewish-voice-for-peace-is-neither/

14. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Procrastination comes in many forms….

BocaFan repped this.
  15. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Ahmadi8 and tomásbernal repped this.
  16. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    I don't think JVP ever publishes how many members of their org is Jewish or not (and they probably shouldn't), but it would be a fairly accurate statement to say they are a fringe organization whom most (everyone I know) consider somewhat anti semitic. Now I am one person, but I do know quite a few Jews in both America and diaspora communities. So while my sample size might not be sufficient to meet a scientifically statistical rigor definition, I would assume this is the same opinion shared by Jewish posters here. And while we've had numerous conversations and one offs on this thread to discuss the concept of Zionism and what it means, if your "statement of values" begins with a claim of being an anti-Zionist organization, I don't think it would be a far fetched assumption to think most Jews don't take kindly to such an organization (given 90% of Jews identify as Zionists)

https://www.thejewishnews.com/opini...cle_2d07d854-b57a-5a2e-81e7-5e2f8226126e.html

TyffaneeSue repped this.
  17. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    #2293 Iranian Monitor, Apr 22, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2024
    I suggest you do more research on the subject and not rely on polemics in an opinion piece. But this is generally true: Jewish Voice for Peace doesn’t just oppose the war; it challenges the link between Jewish identity and support for Israel.
    https://nymag.com/intelligencer/202...for-peace-is-against-israels-war-in-gaza.html

18. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
  19. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I love having goyim tell me that they know more about my religion and culture than I do. Every Jew I know (and as a former synagogue president active in many Jewish circles, I know more than a few) understands the importance of Israel to our existence as Jews. Of course you can find contrarian views, especially among the Jewish people.

As yasik19 noted, most Jews consider JVP a toxic, fringe organization that doesn't represent them. I cited one article because I'm not writing a paper for publication, but if I had the time, I could find a few hundred others.

Moishe repped this.
  20. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    This is a genuine question, because Im not sure, but I was under the impression that this phrase is kind of derogatory?

21. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Apparently the bodies of women and children have been found in this massgrave, and there is evidence of torture among some of the victims.

Ahmadi8 repped this.
  22. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Between this and Al shifa, that’s close to 1000 people in mass graves *at hospitals alone.*

23. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Out of curiosity, what about If Not Now? How are they viewed?

24. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    IM is really a Jew who runs PR for JVP. Maybe he's a Mossad agent with multiple covers, deeply embedded with Ayatollahs and Iranian regime. Just assume he knows best. I'd hate to have his cover blown.

TyffaneeSue and chad repped this.