Hamas Attacks, Israel Responds II

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Mar 5, 2024.

1. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    How is this different than all the posting of rando weirdos who are chanting antisemitic and pro-Hamas shit? Are they controlling the levers of power?

By your logic, we should ignore them all. Do you agree?

feyenoordsoccerfan repped this.
  2. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I keep wondering this too. Just look at the last 10-20 posts in this thread…both sides are getting off on citing the bad acts of the other side. That’s the main thing they care about.

3. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go back and look at the back and forth. When I read Belgian Guy’s post I wondered if he thought that guy had some kind of power to get the National Guard on campus. Luftmensch pointed out he doesn’t have that authority.

luftmensch repped this.
  4. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was the specific content of that post that made it sound like he had some sort of authority that I took issue with. In general I barely skim the posts about the rando weirdos chanting shit, though in the context of Jewish or Muslim people being actively threatened they’re worth calling attention to.

bigredfutbol and rslfanboy repped this.
  5. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    An associate professor at that university calling for something that would definitely endanger the student body - arguably even outside of the protestors themselves - seems relevant to me.

6. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I don't think his authority matters that much, he is a faculty member of Columbia suggesting something that would endanger the students.

7. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He’s a loudmouth who says and does provocative things, and this is one of them.

Chesco United, TyffaneeSue and Moishe repped this.
  8. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of people are saying a lot of shitty things about this war. But lots of the posts in this thread are people going for the dopamine hit of vicarious victimhood. “Look at the outrageous thing this person in the other side wrote.” Why?

mebeSajid, rslfanboy and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  9. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Yes, it would be great to get some kind of hostage release/cease fire and get to the next phase in Gaza

10. Well, to give a new spin to how reliable are the casualty numbers of that Palestinian source, questioned by a certain group in here.
    Seems a certain group had an interest in keeping "some" casualties out of the books.
    1. [​IMG]https://www.cnn.com › 2024 › 04 › 09 › middleeast › israel-gaza-mass-graves-al-shifa-hospital-intl › index.html
      Al-Shifa Hospital: First bodies exhumed from mass graves at northern ...
      9 apr 2024Health workers in northern Gaza exhumed the first corpses from mass graves in and around Al-Shifa Hospital on Tuesday, after they said Israeli forces killed hundreds of Palestinians...
    2. [​IMG]https://www.nytimes.com › live › 2023 › 11 › 14 › world › israel-hamas-gaza-war-news › mass-grave-shifa-hospital-gaza
      Bodies are being buried in a mass grave at Gaza City's largest hospital ...
      14 nov 2023Bodies are being buried in a mass grave at Gaza City's largest hospital, health officials say. Israel says it has taken control of northern Gaza above ground, but that Hamas fighters...

Ahmadi8 repped this.
  11. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry for putting a tweet in this thread but it’s perfect.

When Palestinians and Israelis finally work things out and are able to live together peacefully, it will be one of the greatest stories in human history.

mebeSajid, Mike03, Dr. Wankler and 5 others repped this.
  12. Indeed.
    upload_2024-4-22_0-28-55.png
    It's not like there's no room for the both.

13. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Just to put some things in perspective for you:
    • In the 1990s, around 80% of my clients were Jews. Almost all the handful of secretaries and paralegals in my office were Jews as well, with many of them referring their friends and family to me without any monetary expectations (referral fees) because of the tight knit relationship I had with them.
    • I had a case (with a substantial settlement offer I had not accepted yet) where notification of the statute of limitations deadline that would ordinarily trigger my office filing of the summons & complaint had fallen through the cracks. The deadline was first notified to me by my paralegal (who happened to be Jewish) less than 30 minutes before it was to be effectively missed and we weren't able to file the summons and complaint in time (before the court closed) that day. I faced a slam dunk case of legal malpractice and was thoroughly depressed. I will never forget the next morning: it was a rainy morning and I went to the office early before my paralegal had arrived. At some point my paralegal makes it to the office with her father (a well known physician in the community) both wet from the rain, but in triumphant mood with a filed S&C with yesterday's date stamped on it...
    • On a lighter note, I once had a meeting in my office with a (clueless) American who had assumed I am Jewish. When I told her I wasn't, she was startled and blurted this memorable line in response: "but I thought all Persians were Jewish"! I once had a date with a Jewish Persian girl. She lived with her parents and when I went to pick her up, she was insisting on the phone I go in to meet the parents. I realized she didn't know I wasn't Jewish and when I let her know, she said "oh..." When we were having dinner later, she told me she was glad I wasn't Jewish as she wouldn't have to pretend...We ended up being good friends.
    I can write a book worth of stories about my interactions and close relations with the Persian Jewish community in LA. 90% of them I loved dearly, even though I have since lost track of all but 1-2 of them as I am intentionally not active in social media My relationship with them wasn't political but on a personal level. Politically, I never liked the 'Greater Israel" crowd but I don't believe the Persian Jews I met and hanged around with had any such Likudnik pretensions. Some of them clearly loved Israel and often worried about friends and relatives in Israel whenever violence flared up there. But a few among them also traveled to Iran, coming back with stories how much they had enjoyed their trip and how Iran wasn't like the way it is portrayed in the news...

14. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    If people want to argue that the words and public statements of an associate professor do not matter, however provocative, then fine, I am willing to accept that.

I will say that you cannot at the same time hold that belief and believe a student holding a "free Palestine" placard should be scrutinized.

15. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Hold on - IM is a lawyer??

16. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Your question reminds me of a joke I would often tell when some stranger in a club or bar would ask me what I do for a living: an accountant, economist, and a lawyer are each asked what does 2 times 2 add up to? The accountant takes out his calculator, and answers 4. The economist says if you assume X and Y, the answer is 4. The lawyer inches close to the ears of the person asking the question, and whispers: what would you like it to be!

majspike, roby, Dr. Wankler and 2 others repped this.
  17. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If the timeline of his post is anything to go by, he had an established practice in LA in the 1990s, meaning he's probably in his 60s and hasn't lived in Iran in three decades.

So much makes sense now.

18. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He sounds like an ass and if I were one of his colleagues I'd like to think I'd object to him talking about students the way he does--but associate professors don't have a whole lot of power. He's really more of a noisy nuisance than anything else.

luftmensch, superdave and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  19. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    You are wrong. There are people who have posted here long enough to know when I moved back to Iran (2005). I lived there until rather recently (2018) and still travel to Iran at least once a year.

Now, lets go back to the discussion that is more relevant.

mebeSajid repped this.
  20. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    #2270 yasik19, Apr 22, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2024
    I have been following what's been happening on Columbia campus somewhat (was actually there on Fri due to business trip) and it's rather crazy there. I wouldn't be surprised if many people protesting are not even Columbia students (though I'm sure some checks are done to get inside). But today, this happened. Columbia just denied entry to one of their professors b/c they couldn't guarantee his safety.
    https://nypost.com/2024/04/22/us-ne...ai-says-hes-been-barred-from-the-main-campus/

Israeli-born Shai Davidai, an assistant professor at Columbia Business School and an outspoken supporter of the Jewish state, said when he swiped his key card at the school’s Morningside Heights campus it read “deactivated.”

He said administrators told him that they banned him for campus because they could not ensure his safety.

Many of the demonstrators who arrived to show solidarity with Columbia’s Jewish community were also turned away at the gates of the Ivy Leave school — though some with active Columbia IDs were allowed in.

Hundreds of anti-Israel protesters — all of whom had to swipe their Columbia ID cards to get in — are camped out on the campus — and have been filmed making actively pro-Hamas and antisemitic statements — including one who held a sign suggesting pro-Israel demonstrators should be the next target of Hamas terrorists.

bigredfutbol and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  21. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If this in fact true that you are denying faculty access to the campus for their safety and you are not actually addressing the actual perceived threat then as an institution you have monumentally failed.

rslfanboy, bigredfutbol and Potowmack repped this.
  22. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    It appears to be true as there are a decent number of photographers and I'm seeing a ton on Twitter to verify this.

Moishe repped this.
  23. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder what the reaction would be by the Columbia administration if these protestors were threatening the safety of, say, Nigerian-born associate professors. Would they be telling those academics to stay away from campus?

Moishe and bigredfutbol repped this.
  25. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran