Hamas Attacks, Israel Responds II

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Mar 5, 2024.

1. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Almost certainly so. I can’t read other people’s minds but yeah, it’s kind of obvious.

2. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    FWIW I've seen people on these threads link to Twitter accounts of far-right clowns making their "point" Likely unknowingly.

Like I said, the university could've come up with a better solution but now they look draconian.

4. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm not aware of any case working its way up through the courts that could ostensibly get to SCOTUS in the next 3-5 years. Things like standing and justiciability matter.

California courts disagree with you, and have enforced the Leonard Law.

It seems unlikely to me (but I also don't specialize in con law) that the Supreme Court would strike down such a state law: state legislatures have enormous power, and the only basis to strike down such a law would be substantive due process. However, conservative courts HATE the concept of substantive due process.

Please provide evidence of these "trends" and these "conflicts" that you assert exist.

5. Uhm, lads. American free speech law doesnot apply on the battleground in Gaza.

6. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    USC has been vague. But if they're worried about violence because of a speech by a Muslim lady, the threats are not coming from the Palestinian side, dontcha think?

feyenoordsoccerfan repped this.
  7. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I post my comments and you post yours, but do not respond to mine.

That's all

8. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where there are protestors there will be counter protestors. It was likely potential violence between the two groups that concerned them.

Moishe repped this.
  9. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  10. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of the posters here seem to prioritize hurt feelings on campuses or due to torn down posters over the suffering of Gazans or Israelis. Every news article becomes a weapon in this fight to be the least immoral side.

11. Loco

Loco BigSoccer Yellow Card

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Read carefully. I wrote "Supreme Court" not California courts.

The last 20 years of the SC has been about what I wrote exactly. And again, this has nothing to do with the topic on this threat. Don't make this about some obscure legal corner in the US jurisprudence so you can get some kind of moral victory b/c a missinformed young girl didn't get to say what she wanted to. Her instagram account made it clear for all of us. And again, nothing to do with the ME issues.

12. Loco

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    But her history is the reason why people were upset. Which is what would cause the potential danger. They are connected. I mean, . . . its what she thinks.

13. Loco

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    C'mon bro. If the standard for draconian is a California school, then who the hell is better in this planet.

14. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Please provide evidence of "the last 20 years of the SC." Because right now it looks like you're trying desperately to recall what your old con law II outline said.

15. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    ?? Don't know what this means.

Colleges & university students do live in a bubble but many of their opinions are shaped there. In reality, they'll have less freedom of expression when they enter the corporate world. So issues like Gaza-Israel make them very emotional as we've seen.

16. Loco

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #2066 Loco, Apr 18, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2024
    Masterpiece Cakeshop. Start there genius. Then you can go to Wikipedia again and try to sound smart by pulling down some big words. After that, go and read about when Scalia ascended to the SC and everything that has been happening. Duh!

And again, none of this has anything to do with the middle east conflict. Its about a naive girl who had a bad internet history.

17. Loco

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    There is no Freedom of Speech issue in corporate world. They are private businesses. Not a corner of a public street.

18. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    [​IMG]

I don't need to, because former colleagues of mine submitted amicus briefs in Masterpiece Cakeshop. I'm familiar with the case. You're grasping at straws.

Mike03 and Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  19. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    They "voted for Hamas" so it's all cool. Apparently.

20. Loco

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    . . . so, you are so aware of this case that you wanted to confirm that I knew? that was a test?
    I think you are more qualified to speak about Bird Law. So go ahead Charlie, dance for me and tell me about Bird Law.

That said, we now all know that the casekeshop case proves my point. . . b/c this guys' "friend" submitted an amicus brief.

21. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least they couldn't effectively pressure other countries & have to go on record (fwtw).

This goes into major governmental and media orgs in the country deterring members from even using the term as Palestinians and always framing this as the Israel-Hamas War (they don't say Likud-Hamas War, or Israel-Gaza/Palestinian War).

They want to, with the manipulation of language and symbols, instill in people a built in-prejudice, de-humanization, de-legitimization, & one-sidedness to uphold the status quo. That's frankly bigger than a single vote & voice of 200.

22. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA

miss-the-point-missing-the-point.gif

College is where most people hear diverse & new ideas for the first time and feel more free to express themselves. And it'll possibly change their POV about the world around them. K-12 environments generally limit speech/enforce conformity as do corporate environments. Why do Wingnuts hate "liberal" colleges so much? Because to be a good
    soldier, corporate Lumberg or Trump voter, you have to love Big Brother to a certain extent and go with the flow.

Attached Files:

23. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Student encampment at Columbia University raided by NYPD. Students arrested. The Columbia president was just down in Congress yesterday getting berated by Republicans.

24. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to some right wingers, congress got them to fire a Pro-Hamas professor

And according to left wing twitter, Congresswoman Omar's daughter has been suspended.

25. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh no. Nepo baby gets suspended for not falling far from tree.

TyffaneeSue repped this.