Hamas Attacks, Israel Responds II

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Mar 5, 2024.

1. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I suppose they could also use goats am I right? Or Hezbollah could’ve simply not piggybacked off of Hamas’ attack.

2. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    According to Bibi's bff, if they don't rake them, it'll burn real easy. So someone tell the IDF to make sure their rakes are safely put away.

3. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    There are increasing incidences anti-semitic attacks across various places around the globe, the latest being a synagogue in Russia.
    This a very worrying trend.

This is to be condemned in the strongest manner possible! Whoever is perpetrating such crimes are not doing the Palestinians any favor.

4. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    I'm on vacation, so had no interest in posting, but the stuff happening in LA is also worth mentioning.

teammellieIRANfan and Moishe repped this.
  5. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The isolation of the US continues - now it's South Korea's turn to join lawsuits against high ranking Israeli officials for crimes against humanity.

Looks like this the hill where US hegemony chose to die, a shame really.

US Exceptionalism Is Dead No Matter Who Wins the Election
    No matter the president, the US will no longer meet the world as moral beacon or crusader, but as just another Great Power pursuing selfish interests.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/a...ica-meet-your-post-exceptional-foreign-policy

6. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the reference(s) here might be missed by some of the posters in this thread.

When Trump was president, there were some wildfires, and Trump blamed it on not raking the leaves and such on the ground in forests.

7. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the truth comes out

8. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    It's hard to isolate the US when the prosperity. of most of Europe and half of East Asia depends on their military presence. That's just reality because the West absolutely depends on getting Dutch lithography machines to Taiwanese chip makers who then export to all the West. There's probably a hundred more of those trade relationships that could be categorized as crucial and all that trade depends on the global US military presence. That's not going away because of different stances on Israel. Israel can be a factor but a not a determining factor in causing internal strife in a rather united West. It can certainly serve to isolate Israel but not the US. That's not happening for the foreseeable future.

Raumdeuter, celito, edcalvi and 2 others repped this.
  9. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I dont understand the need for the pro-Palestine activists to protest outside a synagogue. Seems very ill conceived. Sensitive political issues and religious symbols/houses of worship should be kept separated.

celito and yasik19 repped this.
  10. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    A lot of voices in Israel are pushing for a war against Hezbollah and probably because in fear of another October 7th. I just don't think that radicalized young men of a democratic, multi-ethnic state can quite match the fervor of a captured state like Gaza.

11. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Over the last month there has been a significant section of the pro-Palestine movement going full antisemitic. Influencers starting to cite the Protocols of the Elders of Zion and extreme stuff like that. I think that eventually we will see a small but radicalized subsection of youth who will be doing very nasty things over the next few years.

edcalvi, yasik19 and bigredfutbol repped this.
  12. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I agree with the general proposition that protesting Israel outside of a synagogue is unacceptable.

However, if the incident in question is what I think it is, the protest was based on a real-estate sale of property in West Bank settlements and occurred during that event. That is qualitatively different, and such sales for property in Jewish-only settlements violate US law.

tomásbernal and teammellieIRANfan repped this.
  13. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You sound pretty stoked about this turn of events.

[​IMG]

bigredfutbol repped this.
  14. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Countries will always want and value trade with the US, that's not changing anytime soon. However, the US is absolutely isolating itself on geopolitics and nations are less likely to just "do what they're told" as they used too when there are viable alternatives out there. It's no longer fiction that the world is joining the dedollarisation movement at a faster rate which will reduce the effects of US unilateral sanctions on their economies.

15. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Why do you care? You should blame the idiots in DC who blew decades of diplomatic work with stupid decisions. Now you even have the Saudis not renewing the petrodollar deal and will sell in whatever currency they want - you're going to blame me for it too?

Am I stoked? No, I was born and live all my life in the west but if you travel enough, you get to understand that status quo doesn't work for most outside of the west. I believe we can stay the dominant bloc by offering a better deal than what the new Eurasian bloc are offering the rest of the world. Sadly, our idiotic leaders still think we're in the 90s and refuse to evolve, so what do you want me to do...

16. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s because YOU care about the people in Gaza. The protestors don’t.

17. Uhm, both the EU and the USA have plans for massive chip facilities to break the lethal dependency on Taiwan.
    Only problem with that is the fact to get to the point of halving it takes years as ASML can't mass produce those extremely complex machines.
    Edit: Iirc ASML just delivered the top of the bill machine in the USA costing about 350-380 million. A Dutch paper claimed they had to make changes to a highway to get the thing at it's destination, becuse of the size of it.

18. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They did summit Korea eventually (forced to pay tribute)

They even used Korea for their failed invasions of Japan.

19. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

20. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    Tell that to the Evangelicals who use their pulpit to talk politics all day every day and are the biggest zionists out there...and no friend to Jews. These are the same people who push to have state funded evangelical schools, the Ten Commandments in every classroom, courthouse, and anywhere else they can, all at the tax payer expense. They're destroying schools, getting judges appointed for life who give us such rulings as a Muslim has no right to an Imam before execution, or a giant cross on a highway paid by the state isn't a religious symbol, and so on.

There is a difference protesting outside Osteens church compared to a random other church that has nothing to do with any of the above. Ditto with any other comparison.

21. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Sure, in response to China. The point though is that this cozy first world of ours will continue to generate highly networked dependencies.

22. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does it, sweety?

23. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    #4473 deejay, Jun 25, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2024
    Tracing this down and it does seem to have legs.

This is the press release by CAIR-LA

https://www.cair.com/press_releases...stigation-into-violence-at-los-angeles-event/

The issue claimed here is that the company My Home in Israel has previously offered real estate in West Bank Settlements among others as can be seen in the following site: https://realestateisrael.org/

Confusing the issue is that there are other similar companies, for example My Israel Home, that are apparently only offering real estate in the accepted Israeli borders. It is also not clear whether this specific event offered any West Bank Settlements.

mebeSajid repped this.
  24. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Wow, you don't get it do you? International trade, as it is, is a result of US military protection of all the world's trade routes. Even China is dependent on this and is furiously working to build their navy. Europe (and Canada) is so thoroughly dependent on the US military protection that we can't really foresee any change to this in our lifetimes.

This is less about US isolating itself and more about it not being the sole hegemonic power. I would agree on the latter because world wide hegemonies never last. Your use of the term isolation is just an absolutely stupid spin or a hilarious self-own. Maybe both.

Raumdeuter, edcalvi, chaski and 3 others repped this.
  25. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mike03, teammellieIRANfan and rslfanboy repped this.