Halo: Reach

Discussion in 'Video and Computer Games' started by Toon³, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    [ame="http://www.giantbomb.com/ask-me-anything-halo-reach/17-2381/"]Halo:Reach[/ame]

Giant Bomb have a 30 minute video of them playing some of the new MP modes, classes and just talking about how the game has change.

Looks great!

2. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't been too stoked for Reach but seeing all the new things Bungie is adding to multiplayer has got me primed and ready for the beta next week.

3. ritsoccer86

ritsoccer86 Member

Jul 18, 2005
    I'm excited and can wait for this Beta. I'm going to make the most of it since I am a MLG player. Competitive gaming, ya dig?

4. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Reach looks great, but I didn't buy ODST, so no beta for me.

5. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've always wondered, what are the rules on the MLG playlist? Is it just Swat? Speaking of Swat, I saw that playlist will be available to play during the Beta.

6. ritsoccer86

ritsoccer86 Member

Jul 18, 2005
    MLG is not swat. Swat is it's own playlist. MLG is where the damage modifier's are set higher, therefore the speed of play, shooting, and kill time are much faster than the usual slow speed of Halo.

I even just play MLG socially since its the most fun play list.

Besides, about 95% of the time, MLG kids will destroy every one in other play list.

7. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well what is everybody's early take on the Beta? I was a bit worried I wouldn't get to play after seeing messages of trouble getting into matches throughout yesterday at work, but was happy when I got home the game downloaded and I was able to jump in and play a few.

First take for me is I gotta find the right controller layout, played with just the default one and kept hitting the wrong button for melee. Melee so far seems to have the biggest change, what with only being able to finish off a guy with a melee attack if their shields are all the way down. I went into plenty of one v one situations with the Halo3 mindset of simply charging right at my opponent, firing away, expecting to finish him off with a melee attack only to fail.

Other than that I like the new abilities, only been using sprint so far, the DRM is awesome, and so is the gametype Headhunters.

8. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Reach looks promising but I am in the same boat as you are.

9. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i find that switching the default controller layout to the one called 'recon' works well for me. i think the only button on that layout that's different than before is switching grenades is now the 'x' button i think. ...wait, well, i can't remember exactly which button it is that's switched, but i do remember that layout having the least amount of change to get used to.

so far my favorite is the shield. it really takes some getting used to, but once you know how to use it, it's quite effective at turning a defensive situation into an offensive maneuver.

i also agree that headhunters is great. the first time i played it, which was only the second round i'd ever played of reach, i picked up a skullamanjaro (10 skulls at once) to win it. it was totally luck, but i still claim it to be my awesomeness. the easy key to winning this gametype is to follow the destination point and wait for people to come drop off their skulls. just let them come to you, and then you don't have to go far once you've picked up your treasure.

my one major gripe so far (having only played it for a few hours on the 3rd) is that the little circle (what i would call the crosshairs) is too faint. when you're using the pistol (which is awesome again, thank you bungie!), it's impossible to see where you're aiming if you're zoomed in and are moving.

10. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm really enjoying the beta so far and look forward to the release of the new maps and game types. Played a few rounds today and during a Headhunter match I got a Skullimanjaro and the game ended with me at 25 and the second place person at 2, then the next two people had 1 and everyone else had 0. Was a nice feeling.

11. ritsoccer86

ritsoccer86 Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Reach is absolutely trash compared to the other Halo's. They have gone in the CoD direction and made it a game that is almost not remotely Halo-ish.

The beat down system in the Beta is going to be changed for the final game according to Bungie's weekly update. The nades will be less powerful too.

12. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? How so?

13. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Other than the new power ups what else is not like Halo? Yes, the grenades are a bit too powerful, but you know what... IT'S A BETA!!!

14. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The grenades radius is probably too wide, but Halo has always been about random 'nade kills.

Since Halo 2, Bungie has not made its Halo games with the interest of bringing in NEW fans its all about supporting the hardcore fans who bought books, extra maps, clothes, toys, etc.

15. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i had a very satisfying round tonight while playing invasion slayer. my first game on invasion i was on the winning team with a final score of 94-93 (how awesome was it that it was that close?). i got pretty much slaughtered all game because i hadn't ever seen the map before, so my k/d spread was -5 or something not good like that. the second game, however, i got my hands on a ghost that had just been freed up by a well placed headshot and i went to work. it seems logical to assume that most of the players on the beta would be pretty hardcore and dedicated halo players, considering the requirements to play. well, they must've forgotten how to... you know, avoid getting splattered. in a matter of minutes, i had a running riot going (15 kills in a row) with whatever they call 10 splatters in a row. my friend and i couldn't stop laughing. he kept saying that everytime he engaged an opponent, a ghost would streak right in front of his view and splatter the guy. i finally got stuck with a plasma, but the damage was done. finished with a +15 k/d and all the awards. my friend had like 17 assists or something like that because i kept stealing all his kills by splattering everyone.

i love those games where things just seem to fall in place. too bad that only happens sparingly.

16. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whenever I had a game like that in Halo3 it would end up in my saved film file.
    :)

17. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did anybody watch yesterdays campaign preview that was posted on the dashboard as part of the countdown? I downloaded it and started watching but it looked like it was basically a walk through of one of the missions and I'm trying to avoid all spoliers, is that what it is?

18. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was, played by a couple of the audio guys who worked on the game, with a lot of their banter included. I watched the first 20 seconds then stopped for the same reason as you.

19. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Some reviews are popping up and the general concensus is that its the best game of the series.

On a side note, where is everyone buying the game? I had originally planned to get it at Gamestop, but I saw the Best Buy special where you get a $20 gift card with all copies of the game when you preorder, and with the membership points, the legendary edition is worth another $10 in gift certificates. With the amount of games coming out in the next few months, these rewards will add up quickly.

20. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good to know. I just have 12 hours to go and I will be dang near spoiler free, which I don't think I've been able to do with any game I've seriously looked forward to playing.

I saw that deal too but the Bestbuy I will be near tonight isn't doing a midnight release.

21. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm giddy like a little school girl...

Oh and I got it at Gamestop, the Legendary edition. Might as well go out with bang. Gamestop told me to be there by 10-10:30 at the latest, they expect to have around 300-400 people.

22. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anybody know if the rules for Headhunters has changed? I played that game type a few times the first night and I wasn't scoring a skull with some of my kills, not sure if I was overly tired and was missing something or if there was a change made since the beta.

23. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Halo: Reach was waiting for me when I got home from work yesterday, played from around 9:00 PM until close to midnight.

Fun stuff.

24. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i love the hologram feature. is that on multiplayer too? it wasn't on the beta, and i've only played campaign so far.

25. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup, I got fooled into wasting two rockets in a rumble pit match yesterday. The opposing player made sure to let everyone else playing the game he tricked me. :D