Half-Life 2

Discussion in 'Video and Computer Games' started by Ricky_DCU, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Ricky_DCU

Ricky_DCU New Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Somerville, MA
    Anyone here got it? I got it yesterday and it has been incredible so far. The graphics are amazing, the voice acting is top notch and the gameplay has been awesome so far.

2. fiddlestick

fiddlestick New Member

Jul 17, 2001
    The 4 8 0
    How is it compared to the first one? I only made it through about an hour and I got bored and never touched it again.

3. Ricky_DCU

Ricky_DCU New Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Somerville, MA
    So far I think it's better than the first one. The first Half-Life was a great game, but it had too many annoying jumping puzzles. So far the puzzles in this one require logic more than asinine jumping skills. The facial expressions on the characters are just amazing- this is the closest thing to a Pixaresque movie that a computer game has come so far.

However, the AI in the first one seemed slightly better, but I'm sure that's just because complex AI was new back then- it was revolutionary in the first Half-Life when enemies would retreat to better firing positions, use teamwork, take cover, set ambushes, etc. Now it is more common, but the enemies are still a lot of fun to fight in this one. The story also retains the quality of the first and draws you in. I definitely recommend Half-Life 2.

The multiplayer is basically the old Counter-Strike with a big graphical face-lift and some slightly different maps. I would have preferred multiplayer based on Half-Life 2 weapons, characters, and maps but oh well. If there is a group from Big Soccer that woould be interested, we should get some multiplayer games going sometime.

4. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The jumping-skills test to solve puzzles in the first one was rather tedious when I just wanted to shoot things, so that's great to hear about the changes in that. I never finished the game as the last part of the game required some insane jumping. Too bad I can't play HL2 on my archaic machine.

5. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Can't understand how this game has got so many 10/10s.

Didn't much like the first one, and this is just mediocre. The physics puzzles are crap and so far the combat is nothing to write home about either. The levels are also painfully linear and just rob bits from other games.

I have only played through the first 1/3, hoping it gets a lot better.

6. Offside2

Offside2 New Member

Dec 6, 2003
    What a n00b you are..
    Half Life 2 is practically the game of the year.

7. fiddlestick

fiddlestick New Member

Jul 17, 2001
    The 4 8 0
    What's worse, being a nOOb or a sheep?

May 13, 2004
    Saint Tropez
    People that type like this really get under my skin.

"LOL JOO NOOB, LMAO I AM L337!! PWNZ!!"

Bahhh!!

9. fiddlestick

fiddlestick New Member

Jul 17, 2001
    The 4 8 0
    The internet isn't geeky enough by itself anymore, now you gotta learn some weirdly typed klingon dialect to get your pocketprotector-cred.

10. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    FPS fanboy...

As for Half Life 2, I've made more progress on it, up to over halfway now. It gets better, more atmospheric combat and less timewasting, but still not as great as I'd hoped, or was told it would be. The Source engine should be very good for making other games though, I know they've been licensing it out already.

11. jammybastard

jammybastard Member

Oct 7, 2003
    Flyoverland
    fun game until the end, which comes too soon and is incredibly unsatifying.
    Sorry, Far Cry was better in every repesct.