Hale Announces New League

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by skipper60601, Jan 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Andrew Haines , Moved to Florida , After his daughter graduated . If he wants to own 2 teams let him , They have done well promoting the Ambush and getting decent crowds when his team is loosing.

SteveCo repped this.
  2. Anubis

Anubis Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Last updated May 01 2015, registered April 4 2015. The company was registered back on April 22nd 2015, which was just before the owners meetings, I believe. That makes the IPL look like some kind of feint to get what he wants out of the owners meetings. Not saying he couldn't go ahead and follow through with it later, of course, but at first blush this seems like remains of Hale's campaign last year to break away from single entity.

The Tropics page was registered back in September and at least has had a work put into it, so that is the strongest indication that something real is happening.

kenntomasch repped this.
  3. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    Are you sure that logo isn't an Italian Premier League?

4. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't Haines own two teams in the last year of MISL - St. Louis and Pennsylvania?

5. skipper60601

skipper60601 Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Club:
    Hibernian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He did.

6. SteveCo

SteveCo Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, Haines owned both the ill-fated Pennsylvania Roar & the Ambush. He says he lost six figures of money on the Roar, who were actually managed mostly by others. He spent most of his time in Saint Louis running the Ambush.

7. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haines , was the owner but more where involved, we needed a 6th team in order to be a viable league so in a sense he took one for the team and when it did not pan out he folded them.

SteveCo repped this.
  8. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    Why didn't they just add 11 AHL teams?

wellington, SteveCo, cardshopmd and 2 others repped this.
  9. Sam Smith

Sam Smith New Member

Feb 3, 2016
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Here is a link to the interview between Nick Vasos and Ed Hale at Halftime of the Missouri Comets and Baltimore Blast game on 1/31/16.

wlamar3, SteveCo, cardshopmd and 3 others repped this.
  10. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How'd that whole 'viable league' thing pan out?

MLSinCleveland and SteveCo repped this.
  11. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By the looks of that team, I am a bit surprised anyone SPENT six figures on it, much less LOST six figures.

The Stever, MLSinCleveland and SteveCo repped this.
  12. FifaMan328

FifaMan328 Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Lakeland, FL- You are gonna try to make an indoor team work in POLK COUNTY FLORIDA !

Are you f****** serious ? Good Lord please just fold for crying out loud

Better success at trying to revitalize Wichita or Cleveland or hell the Kixx for that matter

Do these fools realize Lakeland and BALTIMORE are about 1000 miles apart ? Maybe the guy who thought Rockford and Chicago were the same is one of the investors :D

13. Anubis

Anubis Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Thanks a bunch to Sam for posting that.

Actually listening to it, this is Hale's same old song and dance, same as it ever was. He doesn't want the filler teams and he doesn't want single entity. Since he can't get the votes he's threatening to take his ball and go home. I really don't believe for a minute that he has 11 teams, I believe he has 11 total stadiums that have said they'd, in theory, take a team. Honestly, I could see him splintering off for a year ending up with a 4-6 team league where him and maybe another person own all the teams and then it either limps while trying to find investors or folds up shortly after. I hope that's not the case for the Baltimore fans but the interview is pretty clear in that Hale is letting his ego drive the car at this point.

Also, Fifaman has it right, he claimed midwestern and upper east coast and then randomly throws in a Florida team? Yikes.

SteveCo and NSL2004 repped this.
  14. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    It cut off right before Budzinski's reaction.

15. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How convenient

16. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would. You. Please. Learn. That. Teams. Lose. Not. Loose?

Lakeland (Civic) Center, here we come! Whoo-hoo!

"SHAME.

Tampa-Lakeland isn't a wasteland like Chicago-Rockford. There should never be a team in Chicago again. And don't get me started about Milwaukee. Or the officiating. Or La Disgrace.

Derp derp derp derp derp."

17. wlamar3

wlamar3 Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Harrisburg
    Heck, who really knows anymore, wouldn't surprise me at all.

18. Sting111

Sting111 Member+

Jan 17, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Listened to the half-time interview. Part of what Hale is saying makes sense. I would not want to be subsidizing teams that are playing in rec league fields. That said, he does come across as a real pr**k. I can see why most owners do not like him. Hale is still bitter about the Missouri game from last season. That is why he attended Saturday's match. Did he think that he would intimidate Missouri by his presence. I respect the man's passion for indoor soccer, but he does not come across as a real jerk.

19. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot more was going on then you guys know, going back to the MISL and the fight breaking out in the locker room hall way at half time

20. Sting111

Sting111 Member+

Jan 17, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Sounds like an interesting story. I admit that I don't know any details about the back history. It sounds like this feud as been going on for a while. My only impression of the Baltimore owner is based on the interview that I listened to. There is always more to the story than one is first aware of.

21. SteveCo

SteveCo Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hale is right about the 'franchise' model being a much better system for indoor soccer right now. He is reasonably well off & why should he (and other better funded owners) potentially be on the hook for lawsuits & mistakes by bush league 'teams'? Though he comes across like the Carlo Gambino of indoor soccer, I would (if I owned a team) be more likely to join a 'franchise' model league with Hale. Let each team be in a real Arena, spend decent money on a roster, & compete as equally as possible. If my team screws up, I am responsible as the owner.

No league at a minor level should mandate that the richer owners bail out Seattle Impact-type situations. A major league can run single-entity & do it well. The MASL calls itself single-entity but does not manage itself by that model. It would be better if the MASL moved to the franchise format, but it does not look like that will happen. Does Hale really have enough teams & infrastructure to open a new league? I don't like split leagues at all but this is sounding like a split is imminent.

22. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    Explain how the richer owners bailed out a Seattle Impact-type situation.

23. UIWWildthing

UIWWildthing Member

Mar 18, 2014
    http://www.abc2news.com/news/region...t-player-pat-healy-attacked-after-playoff-win

That's the incident that occurred last season.

24. SteveCo

SteveCo Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There may yet be lawsuit liability for the Dion Earl situation with the failed Seattle team - lawsuits can take years. I am generally opposed to other owners being potentially on the hook for another owner's lawsuits. I merely used the Seattle situation as an example of what kind of issues other owners should not be responsible for resolving. Others like single- entity but I do not.

25. KCWIZFLAG

KCWIZFLAG Member

Oct 31, 2002
    Gladstone, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was at the game on Sunday and didn't get to hear the interview live. I heard about it afterwards when I saw Twitter mentions about Hale starting a new league. Even though the game was a physical game at times, there didn't seem to be a lot of "bad" blood between the teams. In the second quarter, Vanzela was in the goal to my left (one section over) and he was chatting with fans during a stoppage and even Gibson and Healy were laughing and joking around during the officials timeout. John Sosa got a couple of blue cards and Ortiz for Baltimore got one for the kick that took Ivanovic out of the game, but other than that it seemed to be a fairly clean game that was played.

When the game was over, Healy walked all the way around the arena and shook hands with Comets fans and Vanzela gave his gloves to a Comets fan as well. The Comets players applauded the Blast and shook hands as well with some Blast fans in attendance.

According to what I heard in the interview and during the second half after re-watching the game, there didn't appear to be any bad comments directed at Hale, in fact there were many compliments about his passion for the game. I think more than anything, what I could tell from Vasos and Budzinksi, was more of a "how can this be avoided so that the league doesn't break up" sentiment.

There is no doubt that Ed Hale has contributed greatly to the indoor game. What I find interesting and disturbing is his inability to get along with other owners no matter which league they are in (MISL, MASL, etc). He basically stated he doesn't like a lot of the MASL owners and some of them don't like him either. Look, you don't have to be friends and buddies to operate a league successfully. What you do have to do is be able to put those grudges aside and do business. All of the owners need to sit down at a table and decide what is best for the league, not for themselves (this includes the Comets owners also). Until they do that, it will always lather, rinse, repeat ad naseum of the same old thing.

SteveCo repped this.